Mondotees/Alamo Poster News & Rumors thread

General art-related discussion.
binky79
Art Expert

Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:45 pm

Darkknight37 wrote:
RottenAtom wrote:I really liked Her, but I think it'd be a tough movie to make an appealing poster for.
That's true. I bet someone like Olly would be able to handle it though.
Olly, Hanuka, or maybe Matthew Woodson/Ghostco. You could slap the line "How do you share you're life with somebody?" under his recent art print for SpokeArt (or something similar) and that would be a killer print for "Her" (IMO).

Edit: Or even something similar to Argo except there is a bunch of personalized letters surrounding that little computer phone thing that says "Call From Samantha"
Last edited by binky79 on Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:47 pm

Tetsuojin wrote:I love Ken Taylor’s work and have been a big fan of Maurice Sendak’s work for most of my life, so the Wild Things print is one that I’ll definitely try for tomorrow. My only beef…why are all of Taylor’s prints predominately monochromatic (black plus one or two colors)? If they added a few more colors into this print, it would just pop and leap off the paper, and be one of the best prints ever. I just picked up Taylor’s Pearl Jam print at P&T yesterday, and that was one print with a nice liberal use of color. Knowing that, I can’t help but to think of the potential this fantastic print would have if the right color palette was used; granted not blaring bright color, but some other muted colors to make the figures stand out more. I would pay more money for more color in a heartbeat, especially when the art is great. Nice print, but lots of opportunity to make it greater.
You forgot the Halloween leaves.
fitz
Art Expert

Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:52 pm

apologies if already posted but just saw this on JC Richards blog - "Other Project News:
- Recently finished up 2 new Mondo things you should see in next few months, and also have a few addtl. licensed movie-related projects for other clients in progress."
mcgraw23
Art Expert

Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:54 pm

fitz wrote:apologies if already posted but just saw this on JC Richards blog - "Other Project News:
- Recently finished up 2 new Mondo things you should see in next few months, and also have a few addtl. licensed movie-related projects for other clients in progress."
:drool:
A Lannister always pays his debts.
matttaylordraws
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:25 pm

jimbobiii wrote:There was a rumor about another Matt Taylor Mondo print. But supposedly done for a long while at this point so I wonder if there were rights or approval issues.
yup, that is true. drawn about a year ago and hopefully coming along this spring. super proud of it still, so can't wait to see it in print.

also, thanks for all the kind words about Brick - i'm glad it has met with your approval! it's a big deal for me to have done something with Mondo who i've been following (and buying) for years, and considering some of the awesome artists they commission, i feel very lucky to join their ranks! on top of that D&L have done a crazy good job with these prints - the red is ridiculously vibrant.
kryptonite
Art Expert

Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:27 pm

Brick is fantastic. Great job, Matt :)
Tetsuojin
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:47 pm

wonkabars7 wrote:
Tetsuojin wrote:I love Ken Taylor’s work and have been a big fan of Maurice Sendak’s work for most of my life, so the Wild Things print is one that I’ll definitely try for tomorrow. My only beef…why are all of Taylor’s prints predominately monochromatic (black plus one or two colors)? If they added a few more colors into this print, it would just pop and leap off the paper, and be one of the best prints ever. I just picked up Taylor’s Pearl Jam print at P&T yesterday, and that was one print with a nice liberal use of color. Knowing that, I can’t help but to think of the potential this fantastic print would have if the right color palette was used; granted not blaring bright color, but some other muted colors to make the figures stand out more. I would pay more money for more color in a heartbeat, especially when the art is great. Nice print, but lots of opportunity to make it greater.
You forgot the Halloween leaves.

Here's an ideal of what I mean about adding a little more color.

Here's Ken Taylor's original:

wildoriginal.jpg

I took the image and VERY roughly added 3 colors to the image. Not a masterpiece, but here's the result.
colorwild.jpg
Which do you prefer? :roll:
CrustaR
Art Expert

Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:50 pm

Tetsuojin wrote:
colorwild.jpg
Whoa, that colored version looks awesome.
pewter14 wrote:You're not the only one on the hunt for The Thing ... just ... the most obvious ... by a lot.
mobius006
Art Freak

Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:51 pm

id like the leaves like that
jkw3000
EB Team

Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:53 pm

Leaves and crown are a nice touch and could benefit from color, the characters not so much. But that's my personal preference, either way nice effort.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
mcgraw23
Art Expert

Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:54 pm

KT's design still takes it for me. I personally like how he's able to make such vivid images with only a few colors. Not saying I'd dislike if he tried it differently but I enjoy the original.
A Lannister always pays his debts.
BetterCallSaul
Art Expert

Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:54 pm

CrustaR wrote:
Tetsuojin wrote:
colorwild.jpg
Whoa, that colored version looks awesome.
starkdesign
Art Expert

Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:57 pm

Still haven't seen the movie, but love the book, and these details are really awesome... KT is so freakin' talented.

Also, saw this on Justin's instagram:
Moving into the new offices!

Image New Zelda collection grid, but still need more; gotta keep adding to my collection! Image
bdm105
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:53 pm

got around to seeing Inside Llewyn Davis and really enjoyed it. Hoping Mondo does another oscar night like last year and has something for this one.
Timbrh2001
Art Expert

Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:07 pm

bdm105 wrote:got around to seeing Inside Llewyn Davis and really enjoyed it. Hoping Mondo does another oscar night like last year and has something for this one.
If they do, I'll buy it. Freakin' loved this movie. Probably my favorite of 2013.