Mondotees/Alamo Poster News & Rumors thread

General art-related discussion.
RomanMorales
Art Expert

Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:54 pm

thunderinthesky wrote: Pretty sure Mel Gibson WAS A Butt-Numb-A-Thon doing.
Mel Gibson for Passion of the Christ was Butt-Numb-A-Thon. Mel Gibson for Apocalypto WASN'T. It was for Fantastic Fest.
"Listen, the next revolution is gonna be a revolution of ideas." - Bill Hicks Image
fightsong22
Art Enthusiast

Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:23 pm

GatorsCanes wrote:For anyone with the Frankenstein print or any other MMM print- when the print was sold or given to you was it already in a tube?
The prints weren't in tubes, however Kevin Tong was there rolling them up and handing them to us. I thought they were gonna be in tubes too, so I didn't bring one.
srdzevon
Art Expert

Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:28 pm

Always bring a tube. Look like a gewb for a few hours, but at least your prints are safe.
And if you show up and they have tubes. Just give yours to some kid so he can hit people in the shins with it. Kid will remember your kindness and that good time for the rest of his life.
ImageX5 Hodor Image
swabie2424
Art Expert

Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:29 pm

GatorsCanes wrote:For anyone with the Frankenstein print or any other MMM print- when the print was sold or given to you was it already in a tube?
I attended the Frankenstein event and there were no tubes. Kevin Tong hand rolled and rubber banded them as they were purchased (and did an excellent job). There is a Mail Depot type place in the strip mall right across the street from the New Beverly and loads of people went there while waiting in line and got tubes. So Tong helped some people slide the rolled prints into tubes if they so desired.

Also, Dick Blick Art supply is just a couple blocks down from the New Beverly. They have any/everything you could ever want in terms of storage if you're coming to the next MMM here in L.A.

For the next MMM, considering the quantity of prints for each screening, I have to assume they're going to have these pre-rolled/tubed for people. They just don't have the time to do them all by hand between the first and second screenings. The good thing is with the price of the print rolled into the ticket, if they have these pre-rolled/tubed, all's they have to do is literally hand you one as you walk out. Should take a mere second to get each person theirs. Maybe there'll only be variants after the second screenings when they have the time to sell them afterwards?! Ooooh... don't mean to start crazy rumors! :twisted:
Last edited by swabie2424 on Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
fightsong22
Art Enthusiast

Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:30 pm

srdzevon wrote:Always bring a tube. Look like a gewb for a few hours, but at least your prints are safe.
And if you show up and they have tubes. Just give yours to some kid so he can hit people in the shins with it. Kid will remember your kindness and that good time for the rest of his life.

Haha, so true. I just ended up buying a tube off a EB member for $10.
daviddelgadoh
Art Expert

Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:33 pm

RomanMorales wrote:
Mel Gibson for Passion of the Christ was Butt-Numb-A-Thon. Mel Gibson for Apocalypto WASN'T. It was for Fantastic Fest.
But it wasn't Mondo, which is what I'm saying. This is Mondo, at the New Bev. Not the Alamo, not Harry Knowles (who did in fact set up the Apocalypto screening, even though it wasn't BNAT).
liptonsweettea
Art Expert

Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:14 pm

i have 2 tickets for sunday show @ 7:30pm, i would like to trade for

1 ticket for saturday @ 7:30pm
1 ticket for saturday @ 10:00pm

these tickets are not for sale, trade only, PM me.

thank you
afrosteeziac
Art Expert

Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:17 pm

FlapJack wrote:
dylansdad wrote:MMMLA schedule doesn't leave a lot of time for Q&As--at least not in between screenings. Maybe if the double feature has some sort of connecting link, they can have a guest speak after the second show. But getting three hundred posters distributed after the 7:30 show and getting the crowd seated for the 10:00 is already going to be a tight fit without a special guest crowded in there. But I guess we'll have to wait and see...
To that extent, probably limits the movie choices as well, by running length < 2 hrs.
I'm thinking these showtimes might just be placeholders so to speak, and where just given that time for the sell of the tickets. There really is no way for them to judge how long the QandA's could go on for, and it would be tough for Justin to introduce the "10pm" show when he's still tied up with the QandA from the 730, as well as passing out the posters meeting artist, and the what not. I can see things getting on there way round 730 with the 10 probably starting a little later.

But now that I think of it, if you only have the 10pm ticket how long are you supposed to wait? hmm, I'm sure all of these questions will eventually be answeared.
MovieManJeff1012
Art Expert

Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:48 pm

What are the chances that if the artist is present, you can get your poster signed by them? I have never been to one of these screenings!
ImageImageImage
THE GODDESS PREVAILS
Gkohler
Art Expert

Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:51 pm

afrosteeziac wrote:
FlapJack wrote:
dylansdad wrote:MMMLA schedule doesn't leave a lot of time for Q&As--at least not in between screenings. Maybe if the double feature has some sort of connecting link, they can have a guest speak after the second show. But getting three hundred posters distributed after the 7:30 show and getting the crowd seated for the 10:00 is already going to be a tight fit without a special guest crowded in there. But I guess we'll have to wait and see...
To that extent, probably limits the movie choices as well, by running length < 2 hrs.
I'm thinking these showtimes might just be placeholders so to speak, and where just given that time for the sell of the tickets. There really is no way for them to judge how long the QandA's could go on for, and it would be tough for Justin to introduce the "10pm" show when he's still tied up with the QandA from the 730, as well as passing out the posters meeting artist, and the what not. I can see things getting on there way round 730 with the 10 probably starting a little later.

But now that I think of it, if you only have the 10pm ticket how long are you supposed to wait? hmm, I'm sure all of these questions will eventually be answeared.
Agreed. for the Frankenstein..it was supposed to start at 10:30 but i believe it ended up starting at 11pm. Plus i think theres only one screen in the New Bev. so i assume the later showings will start later than the scheduled time. But like you said, Im sure all these answers will eventually be answered. :D
"We're growing mold, on the fruits of our labors"
RomanMorales
Art Expert

Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:55 pm

daviddelgadoh wrote:
RomanMorales wrote:
But it wasn't Mondo, which is what I'm saying. This is Mondo, at the New Bev. Not the Alamo, not Harry Knowles (who did in fact set up the Apocalypto screening, even though it wasn't BNAT).
Dude, Mondo is the Alamo. The Alamo is Mondo. It's no different than Apple. iPod is one division, iPhone is another, but they are all Apple. When someone in the iPod division wants to get something done they carry the weight of Apple with them. The same goes for the Alamo.

As for the Apocalypto Mel Gibson screening, I could totally see how that might of been set up by Harry. He was a co-founder of Fantastic Fest if memory serves. On the other hand it was Tim League that orchestrated the first ever public screening of the new Star Trek with Leonard Nimoy delivering the prints. It was the Alamo that brought in The Warriors. It was the Alamo that brought Robert Downey Jr. and Iron Man 2. To think that they could not bring in a name director, actor, writer, SFX wizard is nuts. Especially when so many of them live right in LA... AND they have Tarantino's name to leverage since he owns the theater.

Whether they will, is another question all together.
"Listen, the next revolution is gonna be a revolution of ideas." - Bill Hicks Image
RiotAct
EB Team

Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:10 pm

MovieManJeff1012 wrote:What are the chances that if the artist is present, you can get your poster signed by them? I have never been to one of these screenings!
very high
phubar2
Art Expert

Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:27 pm

drymount me I would have loved to have been there for Iron Man 2. I have a man crush on Robert Downey Jr. :lol:
RomanMorales
Art Expert

Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:30 pm

phubar2 wrote:drymount me I would have loved to have been there for Iron Man 2. I have a man crush on Robert Downey Jr. :lol:
Apparently the RDJ hung out with folks at the Highball after as well. Unfortunately, I missed it. :(
dylansdad
Art Expert

Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:31 pm

MovieManJeff1012 wrote:What are the chances that if the artist is present, you can get your poster signed by them? I have never been to one of these screenings!
If the artist is present, I'd bet they probably will have already signed the whole batch.