Mondotees/Alamo Poster News & Rumors thread

General art-related discussion.
MalachiConstant
Art Expert

Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:55 pm

chisoxfan2424 wrote:
MalachiConstant wrote:
chisoxfan2424 wrote:Guess everyone is right, more I look at it, it is better without title. Everyone knows its The Thing.

And if they don't, they're not worth knowing.
That is now my screening process when I meet someone or when I interview a new employee

"So you have a nice resume, but what do you think of this screenprint"?

"Is it a guy with his head on fire?"

"I am sorry, but you are not the type of person we are looking for at this company."
:notworthy:
PrintNoob87
Art Expert

Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:55 pm

It would be nice to see the GID in full effect before deciding if you want to plunk down an extra $100 on it. At least with Thor there were color variations to base your decision off of.
leighlee
Art Enthusiast

Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:56 pm

Have loved the art since I first saw it, but I do think it is kinda a cop out to reuse it...

Having said that, I will still be going for it, if they make it online...

:D
Darkknight37
Art Expert

Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:58 pm

If Drew incorporated a GID Wilford Brimley head in the jacket I'm in.
karza
Art Expert

leighlee wrote:Have loved the art since I first saw it, but I do think it is kinda a cop out to reuse it...

Having said that, I will still be going for it, if they make it online...

:D
you'll get nothing! and like it!
summoner
Art Freak

The online drop for this is going to be BRUTAL.
Image Image Image
yesterday
Art Expert

Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:00 pm

Have seen this shiny face guy too many times and maybe I need to re-watch Thing several more times but I've never understood the image in relation to the movie. (or maybe I've just forgotten)

Kind of meh for me personally... Is this what uber-Thing fans wanted?

The blues/colors look good though.
Image Image
kryptonite
Art Expert

Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:02 pm

yesterday wrote:Is this what uber-Thing fans wanted?
Yes. It is glorious.
yesterday
Art Expert

Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:03 pm

edited for civility
Last edited by yesterday on Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
toobs
Art Expert

summoner wrote:The online drop for this is going to be BRUTAL.
STRUUZANNN!!!!!
Codeblue wrote:Ya know they'll put out at least 1 "ZOMG gotta rub mah nuts on another dukes butt to get in line for it" poster.
HelloExactly
Art Expert

yesterday wrote:Have seen this shiny face guy too many times and maybe I need to re-watch Thing several more times but I've never understood the image in relation to the movie. (or maybe I've just forgotten)

....not sure if serious....
Darkknight37
Art Expert

Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:07 pm

I enjoyed Drew's anecdote about The Thing prequel.
Marty85
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:11 pm

fanboy wrote:
toobs wrote: Image
That's drymounting beautiful!
acidburn
Art Daddy

Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:11 pm

yesterday wrote:Have seen this shiny face guy too many times and maybe I need to re-watch Thing several more times but I've never understood the image in relation to the movie. (or maybe I've just forgotten)

Movies.com: I understand. Well, we're talking because of a sort of meeting point between your own art and work for other people. I know that creating the art for The Thing was an unusual process over 30 years ago. Can you tell me what happened?

Struzan: [Laughs] Well, they probably had an idea of who I was back then and had already been considering me for work because as it turns out I was able to work faster and more accurately than a lot of guys. So when they ran into trouble they would give me a call, which was okay since I was trying to make a living. At the time I was living in Lake Arrowhead, which is like a hundred miles from LA, so I didn't have a lot of physical connection with Hollywood. I got a phone call, the simplest phone call I ever got, saying, "We have a job, we want to know if you can do it, the catch is we need it by tomorrow."

So they're talking a major motion picture with a full color, painted poster and they wanted it by the next morning. [Laughs] I said, "Sure, what is it?" and they said, "Do you remember the movie The Thing from the '60s?" "Yeah, I saw it. Neat movie." "Well, we're redoing it. That's what it is." "Okay, cool. You need it when?" "Tomorrow morning. We don't have any photos for you, we don't have any concept stuff, we just want you to do the drawing of what you think you'd do and then do a painting of it by tomorrow morning." "That's it? You spent millions of dollars on this thing and you don't have any reference materials, just make it however I feel? Sure, I'll try." [Laughs]

It was a very odd experience. I got an immediate concept, which is not unusual for me; I usually have something roving around in my mind. I dressed up in a winter snow outfit and my wife took a Polaroid of me. This was 30 years ago, back in the stone age when the only way to communicating a hundred miles away was the telephone or the fax machine. So I did the drawing and I faxed it back to the studio and they said, "Fine. We need it by tomorrow morning." I went to work. We stopped for a moment and I took some more photos with my wife, this time with a 35mm camera. She developed the film for me and I just started drawing, then painting through the rest of the day, then painting through the rest of the night. At 9 am a guy shows up at my doorstep and says, "Is the painting ready?" I had about an hour to go, so I finished painting it and he took it away. Since then it's done more traveling than I have. [Laughs] It's been around the world many, many times.
4walls
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:12 pm

toobs wrote:
summoner wrote:The online drop for this is going to be BRUTAL.
STRUUZANNN!!!!!
I am starting to have flash backs from the Totoro drop. :shock:
Empty wall space? I'm not a communist!