Mondotees/Alamo Poster News & Rumors thread

General art-related discussion.
fCon
Art Expert

Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:36 am

swabie2424 wrote:
fCon wrote:I think I know swabie from the Freaks board?)
Welcome aboard here at EB fcon.

Sorry to hear about your rough time today.... :cry:
Thanks Swabie for the welcome and the sympathy. I guess this was worst release (or drop as you say here ;)) to start with. Although I got a True Grit reg through second chance on P&T.

dylansdad wrote:fCon--I like your avatar!!!
Thanks dylansdad, standard avatar from my collectible forums. I'm somewhat of a Tolkien geek. :)

Man, it sure is hard to keep up with this thread. Off to some reading.
IWish
Art Expert

Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:53 am

fCon wrote:Although I got a True Grit reg through second chance on P&T.
Really wanted that print...just can't afford to frame it.
fallenangel1
Art Expert

Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:12 am

Codeblue wrote:
DaleCooper wrote:Fallenangel, that was an epic retelling of '+6'! Haha. Glad you scored!
Soon to be -3!
Why would I be -3 ????
Buy and sell pop-culture items!
https://GetKulture.com/
MondoFanMichael
Art Expert
Location: Due to overwhelming mistaken identity, I am not eBay user Michael78747!

Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:33 am

Alphamel1968 wrote:So I put together a fun slide show video featuring all the Alamo Drafthouse Star Wars posters on YouTube - check it out and let me know what you think. (Be sure to select the 480p, not 240p, option in the lower right of the player for best quality.)
Cool video. I put it on my Facebook!
But-we-unleashed-a-lion
Art Expert

Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:39 am

Alphamel1968 wrote:So I put together a fun slide show video featuring all the Alamo Drafthouse Star Wars posters on YouTube]

You should correct the artist on the "King's lead head"
It shows as Jay Ryan and not Rob Jones
adamlikesthings
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:41 am

like a gimp f5 for hours, kinda knew i wouldnt get the set though, 4 mins from checkout to paypal, then the sorry sold out, thought i would be more bummed but im not so happy new drymounting year heres to more sweet prints, and i cant really complain on the drop front cause ive done alright, been a crazy 6 months in the poster world, but meet some rad people and had a blast so far, roll on 2011

:pint: :pint: :pint: :pint: :pint: :pint:
Giclee - "One unintended consequence of Duganne's choice of name was its problematic use in the French language since it is also modern French slang for male ejaculation"
demetrios
Art Expert

Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:05 pm

Scored a regular set @ 11:46 AST. :D Think it was about 2 minutes after the tweet went up. I didn't see the variant set till I went over to OMG Posters & read the comments minutes later where somebody posted a link to the Variant Set directly. I tried & seen that 'add to cart' icon for a while but the next screen said it was all sold out. Later refreshing the store page the Variant Set icon went up. Betcha all that scored a complete variant set saw that link first over @ OMG Posters.
Last edited by demetrios on Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RiotAct
EB Team

Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:07 pm

The Stout posters are growing on me the more I look at them, it's amazing how many references to the films he can pack into each print and still make it all seem cohesive somehow.

I still like the look of the regs better than the variants.
HappaHaoli
Art Expert

Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:13 pm

Jamesesdad wrote:Site ran really smoothly for me today on google chrome. Used a cc instead of paypal since that was what seemed to be the cause of missing the moss drop...

"Awesome drop. Thanks so much for the larger edition size, because of this, I think everyone who really wanted to score a copy did.
i was usng Chrome and a cc and it was pain from the start. none of the add to cart buttons were visible (just a small white square) in either chrome or FIrefox for the first minute or two. i finally got an esb reg into a cart in chrome, entered my cc info then got a failure msg on the final processing step three times in a row. the next msg was sold out.

your comment about everyone who wanted a print got one could only come from someone that got what they wanted. i am sure there were more than a few fellow EBers that got shut out like i did.

you can't win every time on a drop, especially Mondo, but this one stung the most since this would have been my best shot to finally add a Stout piece to my collection (and Star Wars to boot) without paying a 6-30x markup.

Happy New Years everybody! i look forward to what lies in store for us this year.
Image x6 ImageImage x2
"I had this dream where I relished the fray, and the screaming filled my head all day."
daviddelgadoh
Art Expert

Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:39 pm

Kdh12 wrote:
daviddelgadoh wrote:
I can't see any scenario in which a cart-reservation system wouldn't benefit flippers, sorry
that wasn't what I said, it would benefit them to a degree but you would not see an increase in flipping because of it, have you seen the sales history on this set in less then 24 hours? They got it figured out anyway, so a cart-reservation system would benefit the collector more than the flipper, they are doing just fine now....
Sorry, just don't agree (with the underlined point). Instead of flippers having to "hire" other people to go through the process, they can just do it alone, click 10 checkout boxes themselves and take their time - where before they were VERY lucky to get 3-5 sets because they had 3-7 people helping them.

Spread out the process over a few steps, first to PAY get their prints. Makes sense to me, and I've missed out on plenty of drops.
The only people that seem to not like it are users that don't understand the cart system (mainly on FB and twitter - just because you cart it doesn't mean its yours) and the people whose pages "glitch" for lack of a better word (which is understandable, but with a cart system, instead of their page crashing on the payment screen it would just crash way before that).

Again, I only see 1 "benefit" to a cart reservation system - an easier way to cart multiple orders and go through them leisurely (and this is a benefit only for flippers).
There isn't less stress - instead of being stressed at the end of the process it will just be stressful at the start when you're trying to cart it (you shouldn't be stressed anyway, its just paper). Stress will also increase because AFTER the drop, people will be dropping items from their cart and users will be F5ing even more hoping to catch a dropped order.
It isn't any more fair - again, its just moving the process up and if anything makes it less fair for those who are actually totally prepared and have practiced the process before.

I've still yet to hear a good argument for a cart system that lists solid, concrete benefits besides an illusion of peace of mind.

Sorry for being long-winded, trying to work off that mental fuzz of beer. :pint:
MondoFanMichael
Art Expert
Location: Due to overwhelming mistaken identity, I am not eBay user Michael78747!

Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:45 pm

eBay 150540484179

I have been looking around eBay for reasonable prices on any of the Star Wars series I missed and came across this. Did it really sell for .99 :shock:

Anyway, looking for Luke's Destiny, Linch Pin Droid, and a Revenge Of The Jedi. I can still get Attack Position at the store . . .
IWish
Art Expert

Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:46 pm

HappaHaoli wrote:
Jamesesdad wrote: I think everyone who really wanted to score a copy did.
your comment about everyone who wanted a print got one could only come from someone that got what they wanted. i am sure there were more than a few fellow EBers that got shut out like i did.
lol...yeah, it felt like a jab. I chose to rise above it...I could have totally misread the comment.
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:50 pm

MondoFanMichael wrote:eBay 150540484179

I have been looking around eBay for reasonable prices on any of the Star Wars series I missed and came across this. Did it really sell for .99 :shock:

Anyway, looking for Luke's Destiny, Linch Pin Droid, and a Revenge Of The Jedi. I can still get Attack Position at the store . . .

Look at the time that the auction started versus when it ended. Whole thing was up for about 20 minutes if I'm not mistaken - that says "sold off eBay" to me...
Tra la la la la...
piomba
Art Expert

Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:56 pm

MondoFanMichael wrote:eBay 150540484179

It was relisted: eBay 150457022815
piomba
Art Expert

Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:59 pm

Codeblue wrote:It was amazing how smoothly the site ran during the sale. Don't change a thing.
Agreed. With the amount of traffic it was experiencing this was a pretty spectacular feat.