Mondotees/Alamo Poster News & Rumors thread

General art-related discussion.
SaintNoir
Art Expert

Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:59 pm

Man... this review is brutal. The opening paragraph alone contains this sentence...

"Other times it is SHOWGIRLS, SOUTHLAND TALES and SUCKER PUNCH."

Funny read.
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/48998

EDIT - and for parity here is a wildly positive one... maybe the only one. I'm still seeing it. Snyder deserves that, imo.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/48990
Inigo Montoya: You seem a decent fellow. I hate to kill you.
Westley: You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.
jonkino
Art Connoisseur

Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:38 am

Are there any kind poster buddies out there who don't want this who could get it for me and have it sent to the UK? :)

I'm liking the variant of this one and I have never had any succuss bagging a variant from Mondo/ Any help appreciated?
heathunter881

Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:41 am

i might be looking to pass on this poster. read a few reviews and it seems the movie sucks big time. sure the story wasn't supposed to be good, but i was expecting at least a decent storyline. great graphics but sounds sounds like a horrid film.
chisoxfan2424
Art Expert

Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:16 am

jonkino wrote:Are there any kind poster buddies out there who don't want this who could get it for me and have it sent to the UK? :)

I'm liking the variant of this one and I have never had any succuss bagging a variant from Mondo/ Any help appreciated?

I am passing so message me if you want a buddy.
rmoore wrote:Can't trust someone that doesn't like Jurassic Park...
adamlikesthings
Art Connoisseur

Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:21 am

jojobadass wrote:where are the cheech and chong posters?
Giclee - "One unintended consequence of Duganne's choice of name was its problematic use in the French language since it is also modern French slang for male ejaculation"
CrustaR
Art Expert

Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:45 am

I'm completely out of spendable cash this month, so it's a good thing I like the poster but probably won't like the movie...

Here's hoping for another Stout soon. :pint:
pewter14 wrote:You're not the only one on the hunt for The Thing ... just ... the most obvious ... by a lot.
FlapJack
Art Expert

Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:00 am

tranito wrote:
middayshadows wrote:As with his Hellboy 2, Ken pulls off a collage-type movie poster by making the style his own, without looking like an imitation Tyler Stout. The composition is cool (love the placement of the bunny head), the likenesses look fantastic without looking like photoshop cut/paste, and it has a great mood and feel to it.
Excellent post. The exact reason why, rightfully, nobody attacks Taylor about it, while Budich got tons of rip offs accusations in the Kill Bill thread.
I guess I still don't get it. Ithought Budich was getting accused of ripping off Stout for using a collage-style movie print, which I believe is used by more than just Stout ... although he is just mad good at it. Looking at Taylor's previous works, he uses different approaches and styles to his work - he isn't a bread n' butter collage guy. It seems that maybe the style isn't the issue some of you have with Budich, maybe it is just more his execution that you don't prefer? Rip-off seems harsh & unwarranted to me.

Collage-type posters seems to be me to a be a natural way to express these kind of movies that have a lot of imagery and things going on. To me, I see that style and the minimalistic, wink-wink iconic imagery (which Moss is a master) as two most common "templates", if you will, for these movie posters. Both of which are pretty damn cool in my book.

Not trying to be contradictory, just the new guy round here who is trying to learn a lit more about this art form.
FlapJack
Art Expert

Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:10 am

I agree that Stout + Watchmen would be awesome. I think for 300 you could go alot of different ways with that one, and don't think you could go wrong with an artist match there. Zombie movies are not my cup of tea, so haven't seen his version.

I know he isn't exactly mr. movie poster ... but I think Aaron Horkey could do some amazing things with the Legend of the Guardians.
machination
EB Team Emeritus

Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:12 am

I think others mean that, stylistically and composition-wise, Budich's recent posters (compared to Taylor) are more reminiscent of Stout's work.

You can also see the differences between the two artists this way:
Taylor's poster work has a very distinct style and has been relatively consistent (you can always tell it's his work when you see an image) and he's simultaneously improving every time.
Budich has experimented with different styles over the years and it's more difficult to tell that it's HIS work when you see an image. It's less distinct. This isn't necessarily a horrible thing because there is a large number of artists that have the same issue.

I can't say that Budich's Kill Bill poster isn't nice. I'll wait to see if he changes his style again in the future before commenting further / forming a real opinion about him. The only thing that bothered me in the past was how he would release more posters and variants in supposedly closed editions.
FlapJack
Art Expert

Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:22 am

Thanks machination. I see where you're coming from, that makes sense.
rossi1102
Art Expert

Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:25 am

tapecat for Legend of the Guardians, end of story
He was working on some owl stuff awhile back, and somewhere along the way mitch wanted to talk to him about possibly working on a poster in the future.

and I have no clue what I'm talking about, just wishful thinking like everyone else
MastaMonk
Art Expert

Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:37 am

I'm almost sure we will see a Stout Watchmen, the question is when. For all we know, it may be 6 months away, give or take.
Tservo
Art Connoisseur

Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:45 am

As cool as it is that were getting to see another Directors work turned into posters, can't we finish Guillermo first?
Image Member T.H.C. Rounds 1-4 Image
electrachrome
Site Admin

Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:48 am

Tservo wrote:As cool as it is that were getting to see another Directors work turned into posters, can't we finish Guillermo first?
mcnail wrote:Del Toro stuff is in the works, of course. The whole series will be wrapped up by mid-year at the latest, with staggered releases.
alngtheway
Art Connoisseur

Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:01 am

jonkino wrote:Are there any kind poster buddies out there who don't want this who could get it for me and have it sent to the UK? :)

i am helping someone else get a variant but he may be trying for it as well if he happens to be around. if we both happen to be successful, i will be offering up the variant at cost to anyone else. dont mind shipping it anywhere as long as you are happy to cover the costs...