Mondotees/Alamo Poster News & Rumors thread

General art-related discussion.
PorkBelly
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:58 am

So I wanted to start this thread to serve as a clearinghouse for all general news, rumors, and speculation for Mondo/Alamo prints & events. I thought this might be a good idea as we frequently discuss this type of stuff in the recent Art Comments or Release discussion threads from their projects. This thread should discuss topics that would be separate from the Mondo Dream Pairups or the What movie should Tyler Stout do a poster for threads.

This thread would look at topics like "What is going on at the Alamo & will there be prints released in relation to it?" For example, I think I saw Iron Man 2 prints on ebay before the info was released on the Mondo site. I would post that info here.

People with actual ties to Mondo & the Alamo like JustinIshmael & mcnail are invited to drop or leak information here if they wish or if they want to quash speculation on a topic. The same goes for Austin locals who might have any information regarding the prints or events as well.

So just to get us started, here is a link to the first half of 2010 from Mondo-

http://blog.mondotees.com/2010/06/01/mo ... ter-recap/

And, in terms of the news and speculation, I'll get that started too.

1- Via Justin Ishmael's Twitter, there is going to be a big event at the store on 6/25. I don't know what it is but I am excited to find out.

I've been wondering if it is related to this -
back-to-the-future-web.gif
http://www.originalalamo.com/Show.aspx?id=7353 . That event happened a couple of weeks ago and it seems like it would have been something that Mondo would do a print for. Not to mention this was posted on Eric Tan's site a few weeks earlier - http://erictanart.blogspot.com/2010/05/ ... -test.html

2- The Star Trek series is definitely generating a decent amount of interest & I am excited to see what comes next. I really liked the Space Seed print although I thought the variant should have been on something more Trek-appropriate like clear lucite.

One thing that has been released is that there is going to be a variant of an upcoming Mondo release that will drop at Comicon. There has been some speculation that this will involve the next film in the reboot series by JJ Abrams.

The other thing that seems like it is pretty probable is a Wrath of Khan print by Tyler Stout. He is Mondo's most popular artist and Khan is the most popular Star Trek film. Mondo would be crazy not to do one.

Finally, I also wanted to inquire about/gauge interest for certain aspects of how Mondo releases prints? For example, I hate waiting for drops. I would gladly sign up for a Mondo print subscription a la the Dan McCarthy print club. More guaranteed prints from Mondo for me and less individual tube packing for them. I know it would be expensive but Mondo is where I spend most of my print $$$ anyway. Anyone else feel the same way? I doubt a subscription will happen but if there is an overwhelming response, who knows.
rmoore
Art Expert

Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:04 am

Cool, thanks for starting this thread. Mondo has been kicking ass recently.

I wouldn’t really be down for a sub to Mondo as their stuff is usually pretty hit or miss with me. Most if the time I love it, but sometimes I wouldn’t have anything to do with it. Besides, they’d probably charge like $150 to ship 12 or so prints if their single tube price is any indication.
charter
Art Expert

Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:23 am

HAHA was it my speculation about Abrams probable announcement at Comicon and that the print is likely a print of the reboot? I think the sequel comes out in 2012 so they will likely soon start on that movie.

Good thread, we needed a thread about upcoming releases.
pewter14
EB Team

Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:26 am

Good idea ... seems like every time there's a mondotees release, there's a new thread.

Important to keep this NEWS and RELEASE oriented, let's try and keep the wish list items for the threads associated for that.

As for a subsciption ... I just don't think that would happen for several reasons. Only an opinion, but ...

1) They just don't know how many prints they are going to do. McCarthy does one a month, plus a bonus print. Easy to predict and price. Mondo does so many, sometimes multiple releases for the same even with variants.

2) They don't have a lot of space. I'm guessing they want to turn their inventory over as quickly as possible. Holding 50 or so subs with 20 - 30 prints each before shipping just doesn't seem in their best interest right now. Perhaps if they move to new location, this could be explored. Granted, they just did the store over, so, don't expect a new location any time soon.
mistersmith wrote:Brady is one of the best QBs in history and will forever been seen as such.
Two links every EB member should read, please take a moment:

EB Wiki - How to Ship a Print in a Tube

Expressobeans For Sale Forum - Open Market Guidelines
pewter14
EB Team

Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:29 am

charter wrote:HAHA was it my speculation about Abrams probable announcement at Comicon and that the print is likely a print of the reboot? I think the sequel comes out in 2012 so they will likely soon start on that movie.
This was the post in the "Alamo Dream Matchup" thread ... not sure where the original quote came from ... looks like an OMG or Mondo blog type post.

dylansdad wrote:Wrath of Khan is coming at some point:
Instead of doing WRATH OF KHAN right off, we decided to do a poster for his first appearance, SPACE SEED. WRATH OF KHAN will show up eventually, but we had to plant some roots. This will be an ongoing series in partnership with CBS. The most exciting thing about this partnership is that they have given us the keys to the kingdom. We can do LITERALLY ANY Trek property. That means the original series, the movies, TNG, the J. J. Abrams version and even the cartoon if we wanted to. Our goal is to do one a month and leave everyone guessing at what’s coming next. Next months entry will drive people NUTS and if everything goes right, we’ll be selling a variant at San Diego Comic Con.
I wonder how many there will be in the series when all is said and done.
mistersmith wrote:Brady is one of the best QBs in history and will forever been seen as such.

tourist504
Art Expert

Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:32 am

TNGTNGTNGTNGTNG

Please, do TNG.
maden wrote:I would like to see a 16"+ diameter tube.
BlakeAronson wrote:This one is just big enough, but not too overwhelming in size.
jordachep wrote::drool: Can't believe the size. I want this so bad.
Imagex6
charter
Art Expert

Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:33 am

pewter14 wrote:
charter wrote:HAHA was it my speculation about Abrams probable announcement at Comicon and that the print is likely a print of the reboot? I think the sequel comes out in 2012 so they will likely soon start on that movie.
This was the post in the "Alamo Dream Matchup" thread ... not sure where the original quote came from ... looks like an OMG or Mondo blog type post.
There was no quote, I posted that. Back when Justin said that the next Star Trek poster was going to be at Comicon and that people would be really excited, I suggested that it was probably a print of the Abrams remake to coincide with Abrams announcement at Comicon for the Star Trek sequel coming out in 2012. Purely speculation on my part but it seems very probable.
pewter14
EB Team

Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:36 am

Charter, are you saying this is your quote, or, something that was never actually said?
Instead of doing WRATH OF KHAN right off, we decided to do a poster for his first appearance, SPACE SEED. WRATH OF KHAN will show up eventually, but we had to plant some roots. This will be an ongoing series in partnership with CBS. The most exciting thing about this partnership is that they have given us the keys to the kingdom. We can do LITERALLY ANY Trek property. That means the original series, the movies, TNG, the J. J. Abrams version and even the cartoon if we wanted to. Our goal is to do one a month and leave everyone guessing at what’s coming next. Next months entry will drive people NUTS and if everything goes right, we’ll be selling a variant at San Diego Comic Con.

charter
Art Expert

Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:41 am

Yeah that is quote! Sorry, I thought you were talking about someone else on here saying that it could be what I suggested. :o

Everyone was excited about the remake, it got tons of buzz and great reviews. Abrams announced that project at Comicon a couple years back and I think he will be back this year to announce the sequel and show a clip or a teaser like last time. If Mondo is at Comicon and that it is going to drive everyone nuts, I do think it is a print of the Abram Star Trek.

Although he may also announce Khan as the villain in the next movie and the print at Comicon is The Wrath of Khan but they said that it would show up eventually so I doubt that means the print right after.

I was just a little surprised by the opening post mentioning my theory as speculation as I didn't think anybody thought twice about it. :wink:
Darkknight37
Art Expert

Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:07 pm

Nice one PorkBelly!

Hoping we will see something for Back to the Future... in the near future!

It would be nice, as I just saw BTTF at a local theater (Genesee Theater, Waukegan IL) and now I'm on a big BTTF kick!
kramer73
Art Expert

Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:19 pm

moving away from Star Trek talk (or maybe not), Jay Ryan will be doing something this summer.
mistersmith wrote: Yet another pair of prints that I freak over, plan to frame for my office, buy for too much money, then stash away in a flat file because framing is balls expensive. Can't wait.
nimsu8
Art Expert

Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:38 pm

not much info, but per latest twitter: announcement and teaser Friday. You need to be at the party, that's for sure.
Anonymous - "One of these days I'm going to type something clever or funny and it will end up as someone signature...one of these days"
pewter14
EB Team

Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:57 pm

It would be cool If there was a poster, but, even if there isn't, the Jaws Floating Roadshow sounds like a fantastic event.

nimsu8
Art Expert

Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:00 pm

pewter14 wrote:It would be cool If there was a poster, but, even if there isn't, the Jaws Floating Roadshow sounds like a fantastic event.

too bad the show sold out in like 5 mins
Anonymous - "One of these days I'm going to type something clever or funny and it will end up as someone signature...one of these days"
pewter14
EB Team

Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:06 pm

nimsu8 wrote:
pewter14 wrote:It would be cool If there was a poster, but, even if there isn't, the Jaws Floating Roadshow sounds like a fantastic event.

too bad the show sold out in like 5 mins
they are adding a 2nd show.

JAWS Roadshow sold out in 2 min! 2nd show added! On sale Tues at noon