Mondotees/Alamo Poster News & Rumors thread

General art-related discussion.
MastaMonk
Art Expert

Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:48 pm

Over 130 prints this year alone, 3 months left to go. That's around 14-15 per month. I guess we can expect another 45 prints before the end of the year...
dlazarow
Art Expert

Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:49 pm

Yeah I'm a noob collector of Mondo and other media themed prints and already I can sense the same glut that killed comic books in the '90s.
Too late to the game I guess. In the meantime, I'll just try to get art that I really like, follow the items of nostalgia like the Looney Tunes stuff from Whalen or prints from films/shows that I'm passionate about.
I think it's the flippers who aren't also collectors, and the sheer quantities/frequency of prints that are killing the business.
That and wall space is finite for most of us. Flat files can only hold so much, and if you aren't going to display to look at a piece.. why do you really have it?
Granted most of my prints are stored for now as well, but I want to keep and one day find a way to display them.
I don't go chasing every Moss print hoping to make a quick buck. There are plenty that have no aesthetic appeal to me.
I say, find your style and buy what you enjoy and would like to one day hang.
Hopefully the business will stay alive long enough that you can pick up some really cool art.
Otherwise, learn to draw and make your own art and hang that...
Anyway.. just a noob opinion, but hopefully one that holds some merit to some of you...
D
"A ship is always safe at the shore - but that is NOT what it is built for."
― Albert Einstein
http://www.linkedin.com/in/danlazarow
http://www.danimation-inc.com
http://www.vimeo.com/danlazarow
MastaMonk
Art Expert

Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:50 pm

RelaxingDragon wrote:I can see the problem from a price standpoint (particularly in the aftermarket), but isn't this all a good thing from the art side? More movies with art prints seems alright by me. Only a handful may be ones I actually want myself, but that just means more for the fans.

Or am I being naïve about this?
It is great to see so much art! I'd just like to see Mondo stand the test of time as a company.
CrustaR
Art Expert

Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:50 pm

MastaMonk wrote:Over 130 prints this year alone, 3 months left to go. That's around 14-15 per month. I guess we can expect another 45 prints before the end of the year...
Didn't Mondo release just one a week back in the day? Sometimes didn't they hold off for a week? I just don't recall so many prints being pushed out.
pewter14 wrote:You're not the only one on the hunt for The Thing ... just ... the most obvious ... by a lot.
Celsius
Flipper

Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:54 pm

It's not just Mondo either. It's all the pop-culture galleries, as well as other companies as well -- both official and unofficial.
"Beautiful white wings for you. For the world? Death and destruction." - Spoiler Character (Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean)

https://plushart.club
MastaMonk
Art Expert

Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:55 pm

CrustaR wrote:
MastaMonk wrote:Over 130 prints this year alone, 3 months left to go. That's around 14-15 per month. I guess we can expect another 45 prints before the end of the year...
Didn't Mondo release just one a week back in the day? Sometimes didn't they hold off for a week? I just don't recall so many prints being pushed out.
2012 - 175 (my prediction)
2011 - 154
2010 - 115
2009 - 67
2009 - 69
2007 - 30
SurfingJeff
Art Expert

Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:56 pm

MastaMonk wrote:
CrustaR wrote:
wompa164 wrote:Cool posters but Mondo is doing a great job of ruining their exclusivity/collectability
I concur...they are releasing way too much way too fast.
Yup, shooting themselves in the foot.
I think the focus on event exclusives this summer has also hurt them. With all of their best prints limited to events, it's forced a lot of Mondo die-hards into paying aftermarket prices and encourages the notion that "everyone" is flipping. In my case, it's made me prioritize my purchases more and I've bought far fewer prints as a result. All this focus on pricing, has also made me look more critically at each and every print, and I'm finding it much easier to pass things up.
T.H.C.
Awesome
Art Expert

Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:56 pm

I haven't been paying attention to a lot of their releases but that is a lot, wait until Comic Con, the gallery shows and more Lord of the Rings releases and it's going to be huge.
RelaxingDragon
Art Expert

Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:00 pm

SurfingJeff wrote:I think the focus on event exclusives this summer has also hurt them. With all of their best prints limited to events, it's forced a lot of Mondo die-hards into paying aftermarket prices and encourages the notion that "everyone" is flipping. In my case, it's made me prioritize my purchases more and I've bought far fewer prints as a result. All this focus on pricing, has also made me look more critically at each and every print, and I'm finding it much easier to pass things up.
Ditto. Of course, since I've only got so much money to blow and storage/wall space to keep stuff, I don't consider it that much of a bad thing. More like better motivation to really hold back except on the must-haves.
dlazarow
Art Expert

Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:02 pm

My hope is that even though they are producing more, that the exclusivity goes down, and the flip prices fall to a low, which means the art is more financially accessible to all. Unfortunately it makes everything less "limited" and the collectability of the hobby declines. This can only serve to open up the hobby to more people and get more cool art out there to the masses. It just means that it's not going to be an "investment" anymore which will weed out the art collectors from the flippers. Just don't know what the outcome will be for the people producing the art. :pint:
"A ship is always safe at the shore - but that is NOT what it is built for."
― Albert Einstein
http://www.linkedin.com/in/danlazarow
http://www.danimation-inc.com
http://www.vimeo.com/danlazarow
FlapJack
Art Expert

Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:09 pm

wompa164 wrote:As far as I can tell, all of these posters still sell out, but we all know that they are junk from a collector's standpoint.
Wait ... what? :? How do you come to that conclusion? Because not everything is flipping for 5x within the 3 months of purchase?

That has nothing to do with "collectibility" IMO. People want instant rewards. The back catalogue (pre 2010) probably wasn't flipping huge either within the first year. I mean if you're really in it for the collectibility, you have to have a smidgin of patience ... amiright? The Mondo guys continue to bring a bunch of new folks into this hobby everyday, but the insta-flipping was burning way to hot earlier this year driving prices on new stuff unstainably high.
SurfingJeff wrote:I think the focus on event exclusives this summer has also hurt them. With all of their best prints limited to events, it's forced a lot of Mondo die-hards into paying aftermarket prices and encourages the notion that "everyone" is flipping. In my case, it's made me prioritize my purchases more and I've bought far fewer prints as a result. All this focus on pricing, has also made me look more critically at each and every print, and I'm finding it much easier to pass things up.
Good points
FlapJack
Art Expert

Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:12 pm

MastaMonk wrote:
CrustaR wrote:
2011 - 154
2010 - 115
2009 - 67
2009 - 69
2007 - 30
Does the 175 include the gallery stuff too? That number doesn't seem like an unreasonable growth trajectory to me at all. You don't think the growth in the number of collectors exceeds 14%?
CrustaR
Art Expert

Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:14 pm

FlapJack wrote:
MastaMonk wrote:
CrustaR wrote:
2011 - 154
2010 - 115
2009 - 67
2009 - 69
2007 - 30
Does the 175 include the gallery stuff too? That number doesn't seem like an unreasonable growth trajectory to me at all. You don't think the growth in the number of collectors exceeds 14%?
Gawd, that is an insane amount. 69 is a good number per year...awwww yeah...
pewter14 wrote:You're not the only one on the hunt for The Thing ... just ... the most obvious ... by a lot.
MastaMonk
Art Expert

Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:17 pm

I agree, haha.

As far as the 175, i forgot to include some of the gallery work, just the stuff from the opening and the Shaw show. Including the rest of it should easily bring it to 200...
ironjaiden
Art Expert

Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:21 pm

I ,for one, really hate having a broad range of things to choose from. I think in 2013 Mondo should just release one poster with an edition of 3. That'd blow the market right up!