Mondotees/Alamo Poster News & Rumors thread

General art-related discussion.
emac
Art Expert

Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:32 pm

summoner wrote:
cjevy wrote:Question out there for the Whalen collectors... Aren't you guys a little bogged down by how many prints he does? Even if you love his stuff, he put out like 15 prints last year between Mondo and 1988... Honestly does it bother you guys or do you love that he puts out a lot of prints?
Hey crackheads, does it bother you that your dealer has so much crack to sell you? :shock:
Most crack dealers realize that too much crack at once means your customer will OD, and then where will you be?? Oh yeah, selling to the next crackhead.
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:33 pm

cjevy wrote:Question out there for the Whalen collectors... Aren't you guys a little bogged down by how many prints he does? Even if you love his stuff, he put out like 15 prints last year between Mondo and 1988... Honestly does it bother you guys or do you love that he puts out a lot of prints?
Rhys cooper put out 54 prints last year. Doesn't bother me one bit.

Sure most feel the same way about most artists. Gives you more to choose from. If I don't like it, I don't buy it.
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
Ithakus
Art Connoisseur

Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:34 pm

halftonegraphics wrote:
KMW089 wrote:
Ithakus wrote:Rhys Cooper Anything plz
:drool:
ImageImage x 2 T.H.C
Celsius
Flipper

Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:35 pm

It hurts my wallet oh so much. That is the only reason why I want him to stop, but I honestly love 95% of the things he does. The only prints I passed on recently was two-gun mickey variant because it's on wood and wood warps and Rango because I did not enjoy the movie at all -- but I like the poster. I'm always looking forward to what he puts out next. It would bother me if he puts out less than stellar work, but I think everything he put out recently has ranged from good to holy fudge levels of work.
"Beautiful white wings for you. For the world? Death and destruction." - Spoiler Character (Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean)

https://plushart.club
fanboy
Art Expert

Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:36 pm

It would be funny if Justin replaced Duck Rogers with Hawkeye and left Black Widow. I bet a lot of people would refresh a half-dozen times before noticing. ;)
ironjaiden wrote:I'm a whore so I'll draw whatever you want for a warm meal and a dirty hand job. Every artist is different.
tehhippy
Art Expert

Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:37 pm

TheBeard wrote:
tehhippy wrote:G1988 Avengers show on May 3. That explains the Perillo teaser.

newflesh wrote:Also this.

Seems like a massive rush job to me. 88 no longer cares about taking time and doing things right.
How do you know it's rushed?

Edit: The announce two weeks before and you say "rush job"; but if it had been months in advance someone would cry foul for "over-hyping".
Last edited by tehhippy on Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Celsius
Flipper

Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:37 pm

Superfro33 wrote:I love his stuff, but yeah...it's total murder trying to keep up. My main three in my collection are Whalen, Moss, and Perillo. So, it's been kind of a pain in the ass this past year. Love them all though.
This is why I like you :heart: I bet our collections are similar when it comes to those two...though I only started last year. Only reason Moss isn't bolded is cause I fail at buying his stuff.
"Beautiful white wings for you. For the world? Death and destruction." - Spoiler Character (Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean)

https://plushart.club
machination
EB Team Emeritus

Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:38 pm

halftonegraphics wrote:

Sure most feel the same way about most artists. Gives you more to choose from. If I don't like it, I don't buy it.
There are some artists who put out a lot of work each year. Justin Santora is another one. It just feels like Whalen does more because he's closely associated with organizations like Mondo. If I were a big fan of his, I wouldn't have much of a problem with the output.
mattg
Art Connoisseur

Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:38 pm

The site is starting to crawl for me.
GatorsCanes
Art Expert

Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:39 pm

Celsius wrote:
It hurts my wallet oh so much. That is the only reason why I want him to stop, but I honestly love 95% of the things he does. The only prints I passed on recently was two-gun mickey variant because it's on wood and wood warps and Rango because I did not enjoy the movie at all -- but I like the poster. I'm always looking forward to what he puts out next. It would bother me if he puts out less than stellar work, but I think everything he put out recently has ranged from good to holy fudge levels of work.
His Great Pumpkin Variant was one of my favorites of all last year. The colors were just amazing. It's a shame the distributor had to suck so much.
NEVER PAY VIA PAYPAL GIFT. NEVER PAY FRIENDS/FAMILY. PAY THE FEES YOURSELF, THE 3% IS WORTH IT TO NOT BE SCAMMED
wmd
Art Connoisseur

machination wrote:
halftonegraphics wrote:

There are some artists who put out a lot of work each year. Justin Santora is another one. It just feels like Whalen does more because he's closely associated with organizations like Mondo. If I were a big fan of his, I wouldn't have much of a problem with the output.

Santora ftw.
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

machination wrote:
halftonegraphics wrote:

Seems like Whalen does a lot more publication / digital work than prints.
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
RiotAct
EB Team

Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:40 pm

machination wrote:
halftonegraphics wrote:

There are some artists who put out a lot of work each year. Justin Santora is another one.
Methane Studios, also. They're like the Wal-Mart of the gig poster world :D
Superfro33
Art Expert

Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:40 pm

I am feeling it though. Have successfully curbed buying any of the Whalen Sideshow variants since WFRR? But I'm getting to the point where I'm almost going to have to even start being selective about specific releases. I've been able to for Moss, but it's been much harder for Whalen. Probably because they're just much more accessible in comparison.

The Whalen/Perillo G1988 show in September may kill me though. :drool: :hanging:
Last edited by Superfro33 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Weinbeezy
Art Connoisseur

Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:42 pm

tehhippy wrote:
TheBeard wrote:
tehhippy wrote:G1988 Avengers show on May 3. That explains the Perillo teaser.

newflesh wrote:Also this.

Seems like a massive rush job to me. 88 no longer cares about taking time and doing things right.
How do you know it's rushed?

Edit: The announce two weeks before and you say "rush job"; but if it had been months in advance someone would cry foul for "over-hyping".
where did you find this?!