Mondotees/Alamo Poster News & Rumors thread

General art-related discussion.
SaintNoir
Art Expert

Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:03 pm

I love when someone criticizes a movie the apologists say you don't get it. I plan on seeing it, but the truth is my two favorite critics (who are pretty big with geek cred) both said it was a disappointment. Read for yourself. I'm seeing it this weekend... but everyone who is saying it is great hasn't seen it. People who have seen it say it is a pretty big miss. That's all there is to it.

I thought the trailers looked OK. I've heard it was a bit muddled for a while now... and now reviews from people who I trust say it doesn't accomplish what it wants to. Read.

http://www.badassdigest.com/2011/03/24/ ... ply-flawed

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/motion-capt ... dled-ideas

And the idea that "fun" movies can't be successful at a critical and art level is ABSURD and this notion in today's movie going conscious needs to go away.

You should have stopped your sentence at "we don't go to Bay's Transformers.." Because those movies are super turds.
Inigo Montoya: You seem a decent fellow. I hate to kill you.
Westley: You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.
black7towr
Art Connoisseur

Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:31 pm

I don't really pay much attention to what some critic has to say about a movie. I don't need someone telling me that i'm not going to enjoy it. I think i'll go and see for myself. Thank you very much.
machination
EB Team Emeritus

Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:54 pm

I love the Sucker Punch poster. I have no doubt the film isn't anything superbly amazing, but it looks like it could be entertaining.
alteridiom
Art Expert

Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:58 pm

When the Stout 300 drops remember you guys don't want it because this announcement sucks and Synder is a terrible choice for a director series.
:D
Small town pizza lawyer
dylansdad
Art Expert

Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:09 pm

Stout should do Watchmen because it's more of an ensemble piece.

I would like to see what Ansin would do with 300.

Give Dawn of the Dead to Proctor, and maybe Tong or Ryan can do Legend of the Guardians.
daviddelgadoh
Art Expert

Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:11 pm

SaintNoir wrote:I love when someone criticizes a movie the apologists say you don't get it. I plan on seeing it, but the truth is my two favorite critics (who are pretty big with geek cred) both said it was a disappointment. Read for yourself. I'm seeing it this weekend... but everyone who is saying it is great hasn't seen it. People who have seen it say it is a pretty big miss. That's all there is to it.

I thought the trailers looked OK. I've heard it was a bit muddled for a while now... and now reviews from people who I trust say it doesn't accomplish what it wants to. Read.

http://www.badassdigest.com/2011/03/24/ ... ply-flawed
{edit}
You should have stopped your sentence at "we don't go to Bay's Transformers.." Because those movies are super turds.
...the Badass Digest review isn't even really negative. I took away a much more positive vibe from it.
In summary: moments of brilliance hindered by a flawed final act, which diminishes the overall film from amazing to merely good.
SaintNoir
Art Expert

Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:17 pm

Yeah, it is by far one of the more positive reviews I have seen. Snyder is an amazing visualist for sure. I want to see him coupled with a truly amazing script (that isn't an unwieldy adaptation ala Watchmen). I am interested to see if a longer/different cut comes out down the road that is better, as I know there is a ton of stuff from SP on the cutting room floor. I hope Snyder's Superman script is solid and that the failings of this film allow him to grow as an artist.
selassielion
Art Expert

Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:20 pm

srdzevon wrote:Dawn of the Dead poster's got me pretty excited.
Holy sh*t, this^.

Ken slayed it on this poster, looks amazing. RT isn't necessarily a great indicator of how 'good' a movie is, some of my favorites are pretty crappy scores on there. It's all in the eye of the beholder. Some very well reviewed films are absolute crap, at least to me.
Kdh12 wrote:It is not rockets science
wizzack
Art Expert

Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:42 pm

dylansdad wrote:
Give Dawn of the Dead to Proctor,
You sir are a genius
adamsmasher
Art Expert

Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:45 pm

SaintNoir wrote:
hahahaha
adamsmasher
Art Expert

Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:59 pm

all this talk about RT...i mean, do they ever really get it right? sure, in the old days before they got bought, back when they had a soul, they were much more closely matched to what i would consider true movie fan tastes (how can you really judge, right?), but now they're just plugged into the machine and selling tickets...

99% for Toy Story 3!? here's another one for you - affleck's 'the town' at 94%? um, sure, these movies have their place, but 99 & 94? Ratings like that and other forms of wickedness have turned me off of RT for-almost-ever. :hanging:
SaintNoir
Art Expert

Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:05 pm

The percentage just mean positive or negative though... so, yeah... I can see 99% of critics giving TS3 a positive rating. I didn't like it much and would still give it a positive rating. It is a flawed system for sure. Like the Town... 94% positive... but actual score average is 7.7.
smokeycat
Art Expert

Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:10 pm

fudge that suckerpunch looks good! :notworthy:
ImageImageImage
jazzgalaxy
Art Expert

Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:11 pm

fallenangel1 wrote:
jazzgalaxy wrote:
fallenangel1 wrote:I dont see why everyone is hating on the movie Sucker Punch so badly?! I think it looks like itll be fun !

I just wish Ken would have focused on the actresses a bit more in the poster although it does look pretty awesome as is ;)
Well, Rotten Tomatoes is pointing at it being pretty lousy, but the main reason I think it looks bad is because it appears to have no story and I can't sit in a theatre and watch what looks like an FX reel for 2 hours. I'll probably rent it so I can watch it over the course of a weekend or something..
and again we are relying on Rotten Tomato where a bunch of people who may or may not have seen it yet .. I dont believe what anyone says about a movie .. I still remember watching Avatar in the theater and at the end some one in the row in front of us said "that was the greatest movie ever made!" and they were serious .. and that totally diminished any hope I have for the youth of today and popular culture .. Not to mention the big "critics" are all about making themselves seem important that they seem to forget this type of movie isnt going to cure cancer .. Its meant to entertain .. We dont go to see Michael Bay's Transformers for the titillating dialog .. Some movies are just for the fun of it .. Hot girls battling in a fantasy world !! Sounds like a good enough way for me to be 120 mins ! ;)
You think all of the professional critics haven't seen the movie? There have been previews all week, so I doubt that is the case. Also, read some of the reviews-- the % doesn't matter-- they confirm my instincts about Suckerpunch.

Also, Transformers? Are you being serious?
jojobadass
Art Freak

Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:16 pm

where are the cheech and chong posters?
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

For other art crap....be sure to check out: http://www.jojosfineart.com

And for the kinkiest records in the world......check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosrecords.com