Mondotees/Alamo Poster News & Rumors thread

General art-related discussion.
comountaingolf
Art Expert

Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:32 am

MONDO DOESN'T NEED TO CHANGE A THING! SERIOUSLY! IT'S AS GOOD AS IT GETS! Sorry for the caps, but everyone wants to mess with a recipe that tastes delicious and doesn't need to be changed one iota. You win some, you lose some. That's the nature of collecting. That's the nature of art. That's the nature of life.

:pint:
Jim Carr wrote:The fans are standing up to them! The security guards are standing up to them! The peanut vendors are standing up to them!
> THC X 9 <
RiotAct
EB Team

Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:34 am

trarex wrote:number 3 reality 850 run
lol yeah but can you imagine if the run on the reg. Stout set was only 400??? I'd fear for the safety of the Mondo employees after reading all the pissed-off people on facebook are writing even after the actual (850 run) drop.
trarex
Art Expert

Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:37 am

Im sure they could have sold more. At least one to me :lol:
"Lay off Detroit, Them peoples is living in Mad Max times." Moe Szyslak
ironjaiden
Art Expert

Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:45 am

comountaingolf wrote:MONDO DOESN'T NEED TO CHANGE A THING! SERIOUSLY! IT'S AS GOOD AS IT GETS! Sorry for the caps, but everyone wants to mess with a recipe that tastes delicious and doesn't need to be changed one iota. You win some, you lose some. That's the nature of collecting. That's the nature of art. That's the nature of life.

That's the drymounting truth :clap:
comountaingolf
Art Expert

Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:00 am

I can dig it :lol:

Jim Carr wrote:The fans are standing up to them! The security guards are standing up to them! The peanut vendors are standing up to them!
> THC X 9 <
woodyland
Art Expert

Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:11 am

nocodept wrote:

i asked the seller if he could ship to Portugal...his response:
"Hi,
I just wanted to let you know that these posters had a "buy it
now" price of $450 on them and as soon as they were listed,
someone paid me for them. For some reason, ebay didn't end
the auction, but it wouldn't let people bid on them. Sorry if you
had your time wasted...I'm not sure what happened."
I received the same email
They're a Band Beyond Description, like Jehovah's Favorite Choir
gwilkes

Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:17 am

trarex wrote:Keep believing that. I dont know anyone who doesnt want to make more money.
That's the point, though trarex. Given their current situation, Mondo doesn't make more money by advertising. In fact, they only perpetuate the concerns that many people have already suggested.

Also, pearlybaker and comountaingolf, please do not automatically dismiss an argument with the hackneyed "there are winners and losers" statement. The concern I am expressing is not a function of "the ongoing bitching on Mondo." I've been following Mondo for only a year or so, but I'm certainly not new to the art collecting world. I appreciate everything that Mondo does and have great respect for Justin and the gang, but some parts of the process deserve to be reviewed in a constructive manner (especially things that haven't really been brought up much before).

From what I've observed over the years, the most successful companies with limited edition products build their customer base solely through word of mouth (pure positive reputation gains), not through ongoing publicity pushes. That's because there is no real benefit in broadcasting a limited edition product to the masses unless there is a drop in sales efficiency. This is topic that I'm most curious about in regard to Mondo.

--> RiotAct brings up a idea that I've been struggling to reach a conclusion on. He mentioned that "the only argument I could see FOR [advertising] would be that you introduce more people to the joys of collecting, which is good for the hobby overall I guess."

I think the pros and cons of advertising are a very worthwhile topic for discussion.
darkturkish
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:17 am

ironjaiden wrote:
comountaingolf wrote:MONDO DOESN'T NEED TO CHANGE A THING! SERIOUSLY! IT'S AS GOOD AS IT GETS! Sorry for the caps, but everyone wants to mess with a recipe that tastes delicious and doesn't need to be changed one iota. You win some, you lose some. That's the nature of collecting. That's the nature of art. That's the nature of life.

That's the drymounting truth :clap:
This ^, and that's coming from the guy who missed out on grabbing a set. Ive missed out on plenty of releases, but over time you get better at checking out and your chances of scoring a print increase. Personally, if I came into this sale within my first month of buying posters, I would be completely screwed. Yeah maybe it takes a little luck to get through the checkout when things get heavy, but practice makes chances of grabbing a print even higher. In the end you win some and lose some.
Just a dude collecting paper
comountaingolf
Art Expert

Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:27 am

gwilkes wrote:
trarex wrote:Keep believing that. I dont know anyone who doesnt want to make more money.
That's the point, though trarex. Given their current situation, Mondo doesn't make more money by advertising. In fact, they only perpetuate the concerns that many people have already suggested.

Also, pearlybaker and comountaingolf, please do not automatically dismiss an argument with the hackneyed "there are winners and losers" statement. The concern I am expressing is not a function of "the ongoing bitching on Mondo." I've been following Mondo for only a year or so, but I'm certainly not new to the art collecting world. I appreciate everything that Mondo does and have great respect for Justin and the gang, but some parts of the process deserve to be reviewed in a constructive manner (especially things that haven't really been brought up much before).

From what I've observed over the years, the most successful companies with limited edition products build their customer base solely through word of mouth (pure positive reputation gains), not through ongoing publicity pushes. That's because there is no real benefit in broadcasting a limited edition product to the masses unless there is a drop in sales efficiency. This is topic that I'm most curious about in regard to Mondo.

--> RiotAct brings up a idea that I've been struggling to reach a conclusion on. He mentioned that "the only argument I could see FOR [advertising] would be that you introduce more people to the joys of collecting, which is good for the hobby overall I guess."

I think the pros and cons of advertising are a very worthwhile topic for discussion.
See, that's what I'm getting at. NONE OF YOU are bringing anything new to the table that hasn't been discussed ad nauseum over the past 2+ years on this site, OMG, etc. Here's the deal. The Mondo site and sales process is as smooth as it's going to get. With the insane amount of traffic during their more popular drops, ANY site will have a few issues. And that's EXACTLY what it was. A few... a small, tiny % in the grand scheme of things relative to the traffic on the site. And enough with the babble about larger editions, open editions, etc. Mondo's product is highly sought-after for many reasons, scarcity being one, quality being another, reputation, etc. DON'T MESS WITH IT. IT WORKS.

... oh, and a 1-hour, numbered only, timed-edition ONCE a year for a B I G release would be pretty drymounting cool... :lol:

EDIT... and Mitch or Justin. If you read this. PLEASE get something going for Goodfellas and/or Scarface. Please?
> THC X 9 <
clem99
EB Team

Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:36 am

handbills again, well fancy that
art is the only justification for pain :)
Tservo
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:37 am

They are advertising to get the attention of studios more than anything, Mondo needs licenses to keep doing what they're doing.
Image Member T.H.C. Rounds 1-4 Image
gwilkes

Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:41 am

comountaingolf wrote:
gwilkes wrote:

See, that's what I'm getting at. NONE OF YOU are bringing anything new to the table that hasn't been discussed ad nauseum over the past 2+ years on this site, OMG, etc. Here's the deal. The Mondo site and sales process is as smooth as it's going to get. With the insane amount of traffic during their more popular drops, ANY site will have a few issues. And that's EXACTLY what it was. A few... a small, tiny % in the grand scheme of things relative to the traffic on the site. And enough with the babble about larger editions, open editions, etc. Mondo's product is highly sought-after for many reasons, scarcity being one, quality being another, reputation, etc. DON'T MESS WITH IT. IT WORKS.

... oh, and a 1-hour, numbered only, timed-edition ONCE a year for a B I G release would be pretty drymounting cool... :lol:

EDIT... and Mitch or Justin. If you read this. PLEASE get something going for Goodfellas and/or Scarface. Please?
Did you even read my posts, comountaingolf? I'm am not discussing the smoothness of the Mondo site and I'm not discussing the sales process. I don't think I even mentioned any issues I had with the website itself. I've read the countless threads and know how much people complain about the shopping cart. I'm certainly not "[babbling] about larger editions" or anything of the sort! I completely understand the values of scarcity, quality, and reputation.

I'm talking about active advertising vs. word of mouth. That's a completely different subject.
thekharmainitiative
Art Expert

Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:46 am

gwilkes wrote:Hey guys, hope everyone's had a good 1-1-11. A bunch of comments on OMG Posters always seem to be focused on the Mondo cart system, but I was wondering if anyone else had thought more about Mondo's advertising techniques and the issues that process brings to the table. Jamesesdad touched on the subject on page 622 and I made a lengthier post about it on page 608. It would be awesome to hear back with opinions on the topic.

The TL;DR version is basically this:

Mondo would have sold out of these prints in minutes even without all of the publicity (exclusive reveals, interviews, etc). If the company has no plans to expand by increasing the print count per run (which most collectors and Mondo seem to agree is a very bad idea) then there is no reason to advertise.

Major congrats to dylansdad and anyone else who completed the series, by the way!
Justin has already said that the purpose of the 'advertising' on big sites is to allow Mondo to get more and bigger licenses. As he said:
JustinIshmael wrote:I feel like I need to make a clarification. We will still release a drop on Entertainment Weekly, if we can. It helps us in many ways. For instance, we got the LET ME IN job because of the Rolling Roadshow posters being covered on Itunes. Studios see that stuff and then want to work with us.
When they pursue their next big license(s), they may be able to land them more easily because the licensors may have already heard about mondo through ugo, Entertainment Weekly, etc. They may even be getting folks coming to them with ideas now.

So the mentions and the publicity has more to do with keeping the business going and expanding it to more and more fans (how many jumped into mondo just because they were Star Wars fans, for instance?). It's not about making sure they sell-out on every poster release. From what I can tell, they're more interested in creating more and more art people love, and less in making ooodles of money off of it.
WhoLikesRingo wrote:This single post led to a roller coaster of emotion. Congrats kharma, king of the thread.
lewis1
Art Enthusiast

Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:52 am

does anyone no how many were sold as sets vs single
mtarail
Art Expert

Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:54 am

The other reason for advertising is that these prints aren't only for geeks like us. I think Mondo and Stout like the idea of people putting these posters on their walls that may not have any other limited edition prints in their house. Which, I think, is great. Expand the fan base. Introduce people to these prints that might not ever otherwise have known about Stout and the other great artists that have put out Mondo SW prints. Just like Lost did awhile ago, there are people now who are familiar with McCarthy, Danger, Stout, and other great artists because of their work on this SW series of print releases.