Mondotees/Alamo Poster News & Rumors thread

General art-related discussion.
pearlybaker
Flipper

Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:26 am

mtarail wrote:
comountaingolf wrote:
taylorisagirlsname wrote:Would Mondo legally be allowed to make people cancel auction on ebay? I mean, people can do whatever they want with something after they buy it...
Bottom line is Mondo has the right to cancel your order until it ships. That's the facts.
To answer your question more directly, no, mondo can't tell ebay to stop allowing their members to auction items on their site
They can actually get the sellers info through Ebay for violating their copyrights and then cancel the order if the flipper's address matches their orders. Obey used to do this all the time and then put you on a black list to order in the future.

The flippers are only playing by the rules Mondo set-up and kudos to them for being industrious enough to get five sets. It's pretty impressive when you figure that they taught five people how to land a set at today's drop especially when you take into account the fact that the "real" SW fans have buying at Mondo's site since June.

Damn impressive - seems flipping, much like pimpin', ain't easy.
All right Hamilton!
sasquatch
Art Expert

Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:29 am

pearlybaker wrote:
mtarail wrote:
comountaingolf wrote:
taylorisagirlsname wrote:Would Mondo legally be allowed to make people cancel auction on ebay? I mean, people can do whatever they want with something after they buy it...
Bottom line is Mondo has the right to cancel your order until it ships. That's the facts.
To answer your question more directly, no, mondo can't tell ebay to stop allowing their members to auction items on their site
They can actually get the sellers info through Ebay for violating their copyrights and then cancel the order if the flipper's address matches their orders. Obey used to do this all the time and then put you on a black list to order in the future.

The flippers are only playing by the rules Mondo set-up and kudos to them for being industrious enough to get five sets. It's pretty impressive when you figure that they taught five people how to land a set at today's drop especially when you take into account the fact that the "real" SW fans have buying at Mondo's site since June.

Curious. As someone who deals with copyright law frequently, I'm wondering what copyright is being violated with an eBay listing in this case?
mcnail
Art Expert

Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:33 am

dylansdad wrote:My thoughts: There is no checkout system in the world that will sell 850 posters to 10,000 people. Only a broken one would do that.

There will always be someone faster and/or luckier than you, I guess it's a fact of life. I don't like the thought of somebody managing to get ten sets into ten different carts and having a Ticketmasteresque timed reservation system give him ample time to move along and check out one poster after another. People are going to miss out no matter what, so at least use a checkout system that levels the playing field and forces people to check out one order at a time before they try and go back for seconds. I would rather get an error message at the last step of checkout than try to cart it and get an "I'm sorry, someone else is buying the last one right now." I've had that happen at plenty of other sites with different cart systems--a timed cart doesn't guarantee you a shot at a poster, it just dashes your hopes a moment or two sooner. I promise you that a tough competitor can get a big stack of multiple posters carted faster than me--do I really want those to be reserved in their name for 90 seconds? Cart, cart, cart, cart, cart, cart, cart, cart, cart, cart--then go back and complete checkout on each one, taking your time because they are all reserved for you. Great way to enable the competition.

If Mondo switched to this, we wouldn't know for sure if something was truly sold out for a while, and things would be popping back into (and out of) stock as the timers ran out and stock was replenished and fluctuating. People claim to want that, but there would still be tons of people complaining because they missed out, but with a much messier and ultimately less fair process that would just cater to those who know how to work the system. Instead of being totally locked out because someone else carted faster than you, you can potentially cart after the other guy but do your best to make it through checkout faster and still come out with a poster if you click fast and get lucky with the shipping and payment loading screens. The current system gives you a shot straight through to the finish line instead of cutting you off completely before you take your first step.
Thanks for being reasonable about stuff always, DD. I don't know how long some of these people have been around the scene, but I think I can count on one hand the number of websites that sell posters that could handle this drop. Tyler doesn't even dare sell his posters directly on a website anymore, it's just too difficult. This giant sale happened, arguably one of Tyler's biggest ever, everything ran RELATIVELY smooth, and people still came out of the woodwork to complain. I'm not saying that customer feedback is unwanted, but I promise we're doing everything we can with these drops, they are not easy.

This site has been a huge source of support since day one, so our appreciation cannot possibly be expressed enough. Expect more big things in 2011!
pearlybaker
Flipper

Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:36 am

sasquatch wrote:
pearlybaker wrote:They can actually get the sellers info through Ebay for violating their copyrights and then cancel the order if the flipper's address matches their orders. Obey used to do this all the time and then put you on a black list to order in the future.

Curious. As someone who deals with copyright law frequently, I'm wondering what copyright is being violated with an eBay listing in this case?
I ain't no Harvard lawyer but here's the background - maybe you can interpret for us non ESQs.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/pro ... ro-ov.html
All right Hamilton!
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:37 am

It was amazing how smoothly the site ran during the sale. Don't change a thing.
Last edited by Codeblue on Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
kevron62007
Art Expert

Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:39 am

Mitch I really do not know how you guys pulled it off. I thought for sure there would be major server meltdowns and oversells. Great job by you, Justin and Rob coordinating all these releases and making it an easy process to score a print with a little luck. Cheers man and Happy New Year

mcnail wrote:
dylansdad wrote:My thoughts: There is no checkout system in the world that will sell 850 posters to 10,000 people. Only a broken one would do that.

There will always be someone faster and/or luckier than you, I guess it's a fact of life. I don't like the thought of somebody managing to get ten sets into ten different carts and having a Ticketmasteresque timed reservation system give him ample time to move along and check out one poster after another. People are going to miss out no matter what, so at least use a checkout system that levels the playing field and forces people to check out one order at a time before they try and go back for seconds. I would rather get an error message at the last step of checkout than try to cart it and get an "I'm sorry, someone else is buying the last one right now." I've had that happen at plenty of other sites with different cart systems--a timed cart doesn't guarantee you a shot at a poster, it just dashes your hopes a moment or two sooner. I promise you that a tough competitor can get a big stack of multiple posters carted faster than me--do I really want those to be reserved in their name for 90 seconds? Cart, cart, cart, cart, cart, cart, cart, cart, cart, cart--then go back and complete checkout on each one, taking your time because they are all reserved for you. Great way to enable the competition.

If Mondo switched to this, we wouldn't know for sure if something was truly sold out for a while, and things would be popping back into (and out of) stock as the timers ran out and stock was replenished and fluctuating. People claim to want that, but there would still be tons of people complaining because they missed out, but with a much messier and ultimately less fair process that would just cater to those who know how to work the system. Instead of being totally locked out because someone else carted faster than you, you can potentially cart after the other guy but do your best to make it through checkout faster and still come out with a poster if you click fast and get lucky with the shipping and payment loading screens. The current system gives you a shot straight through to the finish line instead of cutting you off completely before you take your first step.
Thanks for being reasonable about stuff always, DD. I don't know how long some of these people have been around the scene, but I think I can count on one hand the number of websites that sell posters that could handle this drop. Tyler doesn't even dare sell his posters directly on a website anymore, it's just too difficult. This giant sale happened, arguably one of Tyler's biggest ever, everything ran RELATIVELY smooth, and people still came out of the woodwork to complain. I'm not saying that customer feedback is unwanted, but I promise we're doing everything we can with these drops, they are not easy.

This site has been a huge source of support since day one, so our appreciation cannot possibly be expressed enough. Expect more big things in 2011!
srdzevon
Art Expert

Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:40 am

Codeblue wrote:It was amazing how smoothly the site ran during the sale.
It was like butter. A little lag at the most.
ImageX5 Hodor Image
SimpJee
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:43 am

In my short time with this hobby, that was the smoothest drop I've ever experienced considering. The servers held up very well! Whatever server upgrades and additions were made certainly improved the site stability after the Olly Moss sale.

Just amazing work on all fronts with Mondo. For stepping up and upgrading after Olly, and for the level of accountability to give response to the criticism (warranted or not).
Last edited by SimpJee on Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
IWish
Art Expert

Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:43 am

I, for one, am certainly not finding fault with Mondo's site. It's just luck of the draw sometimes. I would like to know, though, if the cannot process the c/c pop-up is Mondo's way of telling me the item was sold-out. If so, that's cool. It would be nice to be able to verify that so I know if that's the case or if it's an issue with the way my card is being read at the site. I just want to narrow things down to try and improve my chances on future drops.
clem99
EB Team

Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:46 am

will there ever be a time when the 1% collector gets an opportunity to buy a highly sought print from mondo at release time without having to awake at a ungodly hour, and at the same time appease the other 99% or there abouts
art is the only justification for pain :)
edderlyj
Art Expert

Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:52 am

clem99 wrote:will there ever be a time when the 1% collector gets an opportunity to buy a highly sought print from mondo at release time without having to awake at a ungodly hour, and at the same time appease the other 99% or there abouts
I'm all for the whenever. There's always going to be times when we're all busy doing something some time, night or day. But I'm all for pleasing all the people all the time. At least 6 at a time minimum (visualize...)

easy for me to be more lighthearted about this...and I'm drinking, there's that.
HNYa'll
:cheers:
I won.
SimpJee
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:54 am

clem99 wrote:will there ever be a time when the 1% collector gets an opportunity to buy a highly sought print from mondo at release time without having to awake at a ungodly hour, and at the same time appease the other 99% or there abouts
If they'd implement a truly random 24-hour poster drop system, yeah!

There probably is a logistical reason for this not happening however, they need to have staff there to handle issues concerns etc ..
mtarail
Art Expert

Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:02 am

pearlybaker wrote:
sasquatch wrote:
pearlybaker wrote:They can actually get the sellers info through Ebay for violating their copyrights and then cancel the order if the flipper's address matches their orders. Obey used to do this all the time and then put you on a black list to order in the future.

I ain't no Harvard lawyer but here's the background - maybe you can interpret for us non ESQs.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/pro ... ro-ov.html
I don't know much about intellectual property. My guess--again, just a guess--is that if mondo is getting addresses from sellers, it's based on mondo claiming that it has reason to believe that someone is selling items that were bought in violation of the buyers purchase contract with mondo...i.e. one set of each type of print per person/household.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:22 am

DaleCooper wrote:Fallenangel, that was an epic retelling of '+6'! Haha. Glad you scored!
Soon to be -3!
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
SimpJee
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:43 am

RITFW wrote:I bought a Fantastic Fest Saputo poster about 15-20 minutes before the Stouts started to go live just to test the checkout system.
I went back and bought that after the stouts dropped. After F5ing, and seeing it constantly I had about 4 hours of time to develop an intense liking of it! :pint: