Mondotees/Alamo Poster News & Rumors thread

General art-related discussion.
timc
Art Expert

Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:36 pm

[quote="

buy something from artillery some time and see if you still feel the same way...

additionally your argument against having it hold in a timed cart, is that people would be able to buy multiples.... well there are plenty of members here and/or ebay flippers that got multiplies of each edition with the current system

BTW I couldn't care less about these prints, just like the debate[/quote]

I agree artillery has the best check out system! Brad's site crashed when the Pearl Jam Euro set was released but if it was in your cart you were good! You are free to take your time checking without having to rush and enter your credit card.
The smallest oceans still get BIG BIG waves

"Dogs can find pot and bombs maybe it can find water!" :)
daviddelgadoh
Art Expert

Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:37 pm

bathroommonkey wrote: was he a guy who showed up with the lost posters? are there any hold overs from the lost series?
I first found this board because of the Lost series.

I had been collecting posters for a bit before that, but not many - I didn't realize the community and collectors behind it. Being in Austin I knew of Mondo but didn't know that if I passed on a poster at a show and wanted it later, I'd have to pay at least double usually.

But yeah, Lost brought me here. I only ever had one from that series though - Nate Duval's contribution, which is still hanging.
dylansdad
Art Expert

Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:46 pm

bathroommonkey wrote:
sasquatch wrote:
tranito wrote:On top of constantly sharing your vivid passion for collecting these posters, dylansdad, you've matured in an all-around great poster.
But he is not a jedi yet.
was he a guy who showed up with the lost posters? are there any hold overs from the lost series?
After learning about them at Comic Con and through their relationship with Sideshow, I started picking up stuff from Acme a few years ago and through them I discovered artists like Eric Tan. It was when the Lost series kicked off after Comic Con last year that I was introduced to the poster world. I followed that series and through it learned my way around a poster drop. As each poster was revealed, I made a point to learn more about each of the artists and went on to track down more of their work. (Joined McCarthy's print club, for example.) It was during the Lost series that I found EB, but I was just lurking for several months, and it wasn't until after it was over that I decided to join and actually start participating in some of the conversations. So the Lost series introduced me to the poster community and made me fall in love with artists like Stout, Moss, Slater, McCarthy, Taylor, Ryan, Doyle and others. Following their work here led me to Mondo, where I found even more artists like Ansin. Then the Star Wars series was announced and it got really bad, lol. But fifteen months or so of poster collecting still makes me a relative newbie compared to some of the veterans here!
thekharmainitiative
Art Expert

Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:52 pm

A very grateful THANK YOU to Justin, Mitch, Ms. Harr, sir Rob Jones, Harry and all the folks working at Mondotees and the Alamo network for a fine 2010 of poster collecting! You folks kept me interested in collecting screenprints through your artistic choices, excellent curation, and business sense for a full year after I got hooked by the LOST print series. That was a year longer than I ever expected! And it sounds like I'm going to be pullled in for 2011 too. :clap:

Hope the next year is a good one for you all, professionally and personally.
WhoLikesRingo wrote:This single post led to a roller coaster of emotion. Congrats kharma, king of the thread.
charter
Art Expert

Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:53 pm

heathunter881 wrote:the sad part about mondo back in the days is that their website had glitches. glitches happens during crazy releases so it's understandable. whats disturbing now tho is the amount of new comers looking to capitalize on these posters. having a controlled amount of resellers in a community works, but when outsiders come and all they do is resell instead of keep and collect, the niche people built will be destroyed. i'm not saying it has come to this point, but the influx of resellers is evident with last two star wars release. i've always been a fan but if future releases starts to become an IPO release, i think i'm done. if you're reading this justin just remember everything has its downturn.
Look at the first LOST series. The hardcore fans were the only ones that knew about the prints at the beginning. Locke and Crash were on sale for hours and hours. Suddenly the series gets huge and you see a ton of Locke and Crash prints on ebay going for high prices. Back when Stout and Mondo weren't huge, Thing and Lebowski prints were easy to get. Yet somehow a lot of Thing and Lebowskis have been sold in the secondary market for outrageous values.

Isn't that curious? The niche little place that people have built for some reason has always had a high percentage of resells. Sure there are more now but there are also more prints sold so it is kind of logical that more prints equal more being sold. 36 out of 210 Thing prints have been sold that we have record of. 99 out of 300 Lebowskis have been sold.

I agree, I hate people that are able to get 5 sets. That sucks. I wish they could stop those people. But, flippers as a whole have always existed and will always exist. Even fans have flipped and my above examples show that. But, if you bought it then you own it and you can do what you want with it.

I feel bad for Justin. No matter what he does, someone will always whine that they didn't get something they wanted. It is the way the world works. I really appreciate the fact that he listens to his customers and I think it is awesome that they are taking Mondo to new heights. However, some of the suggestions in here and on the blog are just utterly ridiculous on how people want Mondo to be operated. I can't believe that some people would really want Mondo printing editions of 10,000. Keep up the good work Justin.
Last edited by charter on Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kevron62007
Art Expert

Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:54 pm

I think the Mondo drops are pretty damn efficient. Sure I missed out on the variant set while trying to checkout, but I did score a regular one. The server held up like a champ. I honestly thought it would melt the server. I cannot believe people are calling for a change to the way Mondo does drops or their system.

I am fairly confident that the people saying they got cancelled are just messing with everyone.
yingko
Art Connoisseur

Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:55 pm

daviddelgadoh wrote:
bathroommonkey wrote: was he a guy who showed up with the lost posters? are there any hold overs from the lost series?
I first found this board because of the Lost series.

I had been collecting posters for a bit before that, but not many - I didn't realize the community and collectors behind it. Being in Austin I knew of Mondo but didn't know that if I passed on a poster at a show and wanted it later, I'd have to pay at least double usually.

But yeah, Lost brought me here. I only ever had one from that series though - Nate Duval's contribution, which is still hanging.
I got on board at the tail end of the Lost series, literally, a week before Tyler's piece dropped. The first thing that caught my eye was Ansin's Parnassus poster and I thought, "Holy shiznitz! Somebody's doing great movie posters again." I started following a lot of the Lost artists and dove head first into the hobby in the spring. I totaled up what I've laid out $-wise in one year and about passed out. Even still, it's been worth every penny, every agonizing drop, including today's. Getting this series, and Stout's in particular, have made for a grand year. Still would like the variants, but I'm happy regardless.

Thank to the EB'rs who've helped me out and the Mondo crew for making it pretty damn exciting!

Pat
piratesprayer
Art Expert

Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:58 pm

yo yo just got an email from EBAY with bid cancellations- mondo is knocking out the flippers(maybe). GLORIOUS JUSTICE :clap: i got 2 of these from 2 different auctions.
eBay Bid Cancellation Notice - Item

Dear eBay Community Member,
The bid that you entered for the item (290517782283) has been cancelled. You can view the reason provided for the cancellation by selecting the (bid history) link from the individual item page.

Please be cautious if you are contacted about purchasing this item after the bid has been cancelled and as always avoid paying for your eBay item using instant wire transfer services through Western Union or MoneyGram as these payment methods are unsafe when paying someone you do not know.

Regards,
eBay
talkingdeads wrote:My nipples just did a back flip!
RiotAct
EB Trainee

Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:59 pm

yingko wrote:I totaled up what I've laid out $-wise in one year and about passed out. Even still, it's been worth every penny, every agonizing drop, including today's.
Pretty sure if I added up my art expenditures for 2010, I'd off myself
1000steps wrote:Gift payments are like unprotected sex - always a bad idea with strangers... If you are gonna do it, do it with someone you trust absolutely.
daviddelgadoh
Art Expert

Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:04 pm

RiotAct wrote:
yingko wrote:I totaled up what I've laid out $-wise in one year and about passed out. Even still, it's been worth every penny, every agonizing drop, including today's.
Pretty sure if I added up my art expenditures for 2010, I'd off myself
My wife would off me before I got around to it.
srdzevon
Art Expert

Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:04 pm

It's been a good year folks. Everyone at Mondo keeps outdoing themselves on almost every release I think. I'm hooked on this damn hobby and a HUGE part of it is Mondo and all the stuff they do. Thanks for giving me something to spend my money on that I really enjoy. Can't wait to see what 2011 has in store. :clap:
ImageX5 Hodor Image
RITFW
Art Expert

Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:18 pm

I bought a Fantastic Fest Saputo poster about 15-20 minutes before the Stouts started to go live just to test the checkout system. The last poster I tried to get from mondo was Taylor's T2 and I failed miserably at that.

I managed to snag a regular set today and I'm quite glad. I wish had been paying better attention to this Star Wars series earlier in the game. There's a few that I really like but I think the Stouts take the cake. I will definitely be reading this thread when new stuff is posted.

At my desk I have a $10 Darth Vader car dash figure that has a button you push for about 8 different recordings. After I got he Stout posters I pushed the button and the recording that played was Darth saying "I HAVE YOU NOW!" :D
comountaingolf
Art Expert

Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:30 pm

gonzo303 wrote:
sasquatch wrote:
gonzo303 wrote:What members here got multiples today?
Didn't you?
No way, I was sweating trying to get just one set.
gonzo303 wrote:I'm glad you watch my posts. Yes I was one of the lucky peole to purchase that set. I guess I had no clue I wasn't allowed to try for it on mondo then.

You don't have a double of any print? Can someone post the rules to poster buying again, I seem to not be able to find it!
:lol: ... you and Slick Willy. I did not have sex... well, OK, I got a BJ, but BJ's don't count... :lol:
Jim Carr wrote:The fans are standing up to them! The security guards are standing up to them! The peanut vendors are standing up to them!
> THC X 9 <
comountaingolf
Art Expert

Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:32 pm

swabie2424 wrote:Someone on the Sideshow Freaks board has now reported a cancellation. I don't personally know the person who posted. He said he emailed Mondo to find out why.
I got refunded what I was over-charged for shipping, so I'm pretty sure we're all safe. Remember, I was using an air-card, so I know that I wasn't on this drop with quickness :wink:
Jim Carr wrote:The fans are standing up to them! The security guards are standing up to them! The peanut vendors are standing up to them!
> THC X 9 <
mtarail
Art Expert

Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:34 pm

tranito wrote: I think anyone who advises Mitch/Justin/Mondo to change what they've been doing thus far to contribute making Mondo what they've become takes himself way too seriously and is out of his mind. Who are you seriously? Look at what they've done in the past couple of years. Gigantic work. The fans are nuts. They litteraly blew up. They are the hottest thing on the poster market right now. Such a success story. It's like going to Sidney Crosby to tell him he should train differently if he wants to perform better, or maybe tell Obama he should have made things differently to succeed better in his career.
Well said. Can't please everyone. Everyone here (hopefully) knew that it would take a fair amount of luck to score one of these. I have gotten shut out on plenty of drops this year. I think Mondo did a good job with this. In terms of web traffic, this had to be the craziest drop of 2010. And although there were glitches, the website didn't crash. The Mondo-Wolfman debacle last February was rough. I was sceptical going in to this drop that Mondo could sustain this kind of traffic, and I give them credit for making the magic happen. I also appreciate the fact that they didn't make people sit in front of computer screen all day on a holiday for the drop.