Mondotees/Alamo Poster News & Rumors thread

General art-related discussion.
dylansdad
Art Expert

Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:26 am

ZappIsTheMan wrote:Anyone know if Mondo is going to keep a few for their store? (and what about the Moss prints, any of those there?)

I would assume they keep just a few, but you never know...
Justin said somewhere in this thread that they will not be selling them in the store.
ioioos
Art Connoisseur

Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:27 am

ZappIsTheMan wrote:Anyone know if Mondo is going to keep a few for their store? (and what about the Moss prints, any of those there?)

No, they confirmed there would be none for sale in the store.
virtualmert
Art Expert

Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:28 am

fudge, looks like i might be trying from my phone at Toy Story 3 On Ice. i got the bounty hunter set on my phone, so i have a little faith! just going for a regular set :drool: :pint:
:cautiously removes pants:
But-we-unleashed-a-lion
Art Expert

Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:28 am

ioioos wrote:

...Friday.

JustinIshmael wrote:There won't be a sale in the store on Friday. I wish we could do it, but timing didn't work out.
ioioos
Art Connoisseur

Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:36 am

But-we-unleashed-a-lion wrote:
ioioos wrote:

...Friday.

JustinIshmael wrote:There won't be a sale in the store on Friday. I wish we could do it, but timing didn't work out.
Good point.... :)
AZKemp
Art Enthusiast

Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:37 am

thebends9 wrote:Last night I had a midnight release.
win!
awesome!
chisoxfan2424
Art Expert

Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:46 am

The Star Wars series has been great, I have like 1/2 of them. How great would a Steven Speilberg series be. (Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones, Jaws, Saving Private ryan, ET, SChinleders List, Just to metion a few.
rmoore wrote:Can't trust someone that doesn't like Jurassic Park...
shimz
Art Enthusiast

Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:46 am

random time tomorrow? so anytime between 8am and 8pm?
Better to keep an eye on the actual site or Justin's Twitter?
Thx
Baker
Art Expert

Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:59 am

shimz wrote:random time tomorrow? so anytime between 8am and 8pm?
Better to keep an eye on the actual site or Justin's Twitter?
Thx
Shop Page on the website is where they will appear.
ironjaiden wrote: "'Weener in June' is completely sold out, thanks for the interest"
yingko
Art Connoisseur

Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:03 pm

ioioos wrote:
But-we-unleashed-a-lion wrote:
ioioos wrote:run size will limit the investment.
why?
Of course none of us know what the investment curve will look like, but in simplistic terms, more prints = weaker second hand demand. Sure it will sell out in a second, and there will be an aftersale market, but it will be less of a cash cow than say, the Olly Prints.

Then there is the issue that Tylers work will appeal to collectors on here, but less so than the mainstream. Star Wars fans have masses of art prints thrown at them every year, and often in a lot smaller run sizes. We've already heard on the fan sites that the Tyler prints are getting a luke (non pun intended!) warm reception. Star Wars Fans already have a multitude of one sheet style sheets to choose from. The Tyler ones simply add to the pile

I'm a big Star Wars fan, and when I asked a couple of friends for an initial reaction, they were not bowled over. One said they were ok (but he wouldn't buy them) and the other asked why all the lips seemed oversized and out of proportion. They both felt that the Moss posters gave them something new, while the Tyler posters simply re-interpreted the standard film poster concept.

Lastly, we can look to similarities with poster campaigns like Lost. Tyler got the prime final print in the main set, yet the Moss, Tan, Danger, McCarthy and Tong are now harder to come by, even with identical print runs.

I think Tyler has a big fan base in the poster community, but is less appealing to the wider fan bases on some of the projects.I could be totally wrong and we'll find that the standard set will be trading hands at four times the cost in 6 months time. I just don't see it happening.

Don't get me wrong, I love Tylers work, and I love these prints, I just don't think there will be the clamour that some predict further down the line.
I was reading through the Mondo posts over at Rebelscum and they really don't seem to care for the Stouts and love the Moss's. RS is a pretty good indicator of the SW art fans. They seem to prefer constant riffs on Struzan as opposed to something as diverse as the Mondos. Just check out the Celebration V pieces. I tend to think the regular versions of the Stout's won't command a high price on the scondary market simply because of the size of the run.
piomba
Art Expert

Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:14 pm

Sad related news: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/s ... tist-66560

Grant McCune, the special effects artist who won an Oscar for his model work on Star Wars, has died of pancreatic cancer. He was 67.
McCune, who died Monday at his home in Hidden Hills, Calif., won the visual effects Oscar for 1977's Star Wars, the original installment in George Lucas' six-film franchise.

McCune, who created scenes with models and miniature films for more than three decades, also was nominated for an Oscar in 1980 for Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

Born March 27, 1943, McCune earned a bachelor's degree in biology at California State University in Northridge. He got his start in special effects in the 1970s when he and Bill Shourt were hired to make a realistic giant white shark model for Steven Spielberg's Jaws, though neither was credited on the film.

He later became a partner at Apogee Prods., where he worked on three dozen films, including Die Hard, Never Say Never Again, Big, Space Balls and Caddyshack.

McCune went on to launch his own company, Grant McCune Design, which handled 20-plus films, including Speed, Batman Forever, U.S. Marshals, Red Planet, U-571, Spider-Man and Serenity.
swabie2424
Art Expert

Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:17 pm

DaleCooper wrote:I've read on a few forums that Boba Fett has the wrong gun in The Empire print and is drawn with his ROTJ gun. Doesn't bother me but is that right? Any mega-nerds here? Swabie?
Deinitely appears to be his ROTJ gun... but those kind of things don't matter to me. It's art. It's Tyler's interpretation.

Some hardcore fans go ape on artists for the smallest of details. One well respected artist who does a lot of Star Wars for ACME was recently flayed on a Vader piece by fans claiming a minor detail on the helmet was wrong. Yeesh... nothing like sucking the fun out of it. If they want 100% screen accuracy they should buy production stills! :P
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
bysleightofhand
Art Expert

Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:23 pm

swabie2424 wrote:
DaleCooper wrote:I've read on a few forums that Boba Fett has the wrong gun in The Empire print and is drawn with his ROTJ gun. Doesn't bother me but is that right? Any mega-nerds here? Swabie?
Deinitely appears to be his ROTJ gun... but those kind of things don't matter to me. It's art. It's Tyler's interpretation.

Some hardcore fans go ape on artists for the smallest of details. One well respected artist who does a lot of Star Wars for ACME was recently flayed on a Vader piece by fans claiming a minor detail on the helmet was wrong. Yeesh... nothing like sucking the fun out of it. If they want 100% screen accuracy they should buy production stills! :P
If that's the case, they should hate the Moss version of Return of the Jedi. Isn't Endor suppose to be nice and lush? Why are Moss's trees barren?
Oh boy! Something else wrong with the moss set. Quick, somebody sell me their defective prints for cheap :D
ISO mccarthy ''the white tree' #6 and #10 canvases, or Clonal Colony aurora variant
shimz
Art Enthusiast

Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:26 pm

hoping for an early(ish) time so we're not in front of a computer for hours on NYE
going for a regular set.
markenglert
Art Expert

Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:28 pm

swabie2424 wrote:

Details like the gun doesn't matter... he conceivably owned that gun in Empire and decided to use the other gun that one day in Bespin.

If these go up in value or wind up selling for below cost on Ebay, it doesn't matter to me as long as I get some to hang on my wall.