Mondotees/Alamo Poster News & Rumors thread

General art-related discussion.
jhulud
Art Connoisseur

Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:16 pm

dylansdad wrote:They should offer a preorder option for the completists.
:P
Someone has an inflated sense of entitlement...

:wink:

I kid, I kid...
"An angel's heart given flight by demon's wings faces certain death."
GatorsCanes
Art Expert

Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:18 pm

Stupid question- Are all these signed and numbered? And if so, I hate to think how many pencils Stout had to go through
NEVER PAY VIA PAYPAL GIFT. NEVER PAY FRIENDS/FAMILY. PAY THE FEES YOURSELF, THE 3% IS WORTH IT TO NOT BE SCAMMED
ioioos
Art Connoisseur

Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:19 pm

Love the Stouts, but for me, Olly scored the goal. Olly's interpretations are "out there" and show real artist growth. Tylers look like...Tylers. Great. But exactly what I expected.

Seems odd that Mondos got the edition sizes so wrong for Moss (it wasn't hard to predict), but so right with Stout. One could say we have been victims of a classic marketing trick. Strangulate one print, get the hype wagon running, then drop the Tyler Stout Set in such quantities that you clean up at the bank on the last day.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that but it could be the case.
dylansdad
Art Expert

Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:28 pm

GatorsCanes wrote:Stupid question- Are all these signed and numbered? And if so, I hate to think how many pencils Stout had to go through
Numbered, not signed.
rubberneck
Art God

Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:30 pm

charter wrote:
wonkabars7 wrote:
charter wrote:
Crystal Skull was pretty much TOD.
Respectfully disagree on so, so, so many levels.
Annoying sidekick, annoying girl/lover, really hoaky over the top bad guy, the use of non Christian artifacts, cheesy/way over the top sequences (mine cart chase vs nuke fridge), and overuse of bad and unnecessary cgi.

TOD is easily regarded as the worst of the trilogy. Crystal Skull just pretty much repeated TOD. Marian was a bad ass in Raiders. She became Willie. While Mutt was not nearly as annoying as Short Round, they were both lame and I wanted to punch both of them. DOCTAH JOANES!
I disagree, I loved TOD back when it first came out and to even compare it to the crapfest that is 'Nuke The Fridge' is an insult. TOD was daring, dark and 'literally' a rollercoaster ride from start to finish! George Lucas was going thru a divorce at the time and was pissed off and hence wrote a more gritty cynical story which was a refeshing change for a sequel....

I hate Crystal Skull more than the new SW trilogy because there was less chance to f*ck it up. You had the original cast, director and writer and an awareness of the cinema go-ers distaste of CGI and annoying subplots/comedy characters...and yet they chose to go down that path :roll:

As soon as those CGI ferrets popped up I knew it was f*cked.... Damn you Lucas!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
Catarax
Art Expert

Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:32 pm

dylansdad wrote:
GatorsCanes wrote:Stupid question- Are all these signed and numbered? And if so, I hate to think how many pencils Stout had to go through
Numbered, not signed.
does it say it somewhere?
sixstringer wrote: I don't care how they look...I just want to pop off the top and huff the tube!
swabie2424
Art Expert

Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:38 pm

dylansdad wrote:They should offer a preorder option for the completists. :P
You entitled mutt! j/k :wink: Wait, I am a completist also.... so I second this idea! :P I'm such an entitled mutt! :hanging:

dylansdad, it's just beyond amazing to me you have managed the entire run from source. Borderline superhuman, bro!!!! I missed a couple also... and had to trade for/ebay them... so I am jealous of your skillz!

To be honest, if I can at least get a regular set of Stouts, I'll be satisfied. Would I jump for joy for all six.... you bet! But I have to start being realistic here. The odds are hugely stacked against any one person on that. So unless there's the super-duper "6-pack" button... and I get lucky at that... my dream of completing the set with variants will have to be more of a long distance run than a sprint.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
thebends9
Art Expert

Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:46 pm

swabie2424 wrote:The odds are hugely stacked against any one person on that.
Speak for yourself
swabie2424
Art Expert

Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:50 pm

thebends9 wrote:Speak for yourself
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
dylansdad
Art Expert

Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:54 pm

Swabie, I wish you luck on Friday. I have managed to get the entire series direct from Mondo, and if I fumble at the end I'll weep but carry on. I hope to get all six, but I'm not going to make any assumptions.
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:57 pm

charter wrote: Annoying sidekick, annoying girl/lover, really hoaky over the top bad guy, the use of non Christian artifacts, cheesy/way over the top sequences (mine cart chase vs nuke fridge), and overuse of bad and unnecessary cgi.

TOD is easily regarded as the worst of the trilogy. Crystal Skull just pretty much repeated TOD. Marian was a bad ass in Raiders. She became Willie. While Mutt was not nearly as annoying as Short Round, they were both lame and I wanted to punch both of them. DOCTAH JOANES!
No, you are equating things that aren't meant to be equated...regardless, later on I will change your mind with several points that are tough to beat.

However...
rubberneck wrote:
I disagree, I loved TOD back when it first came out and to even compare it to the crapfest that is 'Nuke The Fridge' is an insult. TOD was daring, dark and 'literally' a rollercoaster ride from start to finish! George Lucas was going thru a divorce at the time and was pissed off and hence wrote a more gritty cynical story which was a refeshing change for a sequel....

I hate Crystal Skull more than the new SW trilogy because there was less chance to f*ck it up. You had the original cast, director and writer and an awareness of the cinema go-ers distaste of CGI and annoying subplots/comedy characters...and yet they chose to go down that path :roll:

As soon as those CGI ferrets popped up I knew it was f*cked.... Damn you Lucas!
This is the tip of the iceberg, but is all correct and in the same vein I am going for. Story, character traits, etc...that is all for a different day.

Bottom line is in TOD Indy is a hero, in Crystal Skull, he is reduced to a meandering pedestrian. Downright shame.
jamel-d
Art Freak

Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:07 pm

swabie2424 wrote:The odds are hugely stacked against any one person on that.
If you followed the trail, some already bought the 6.
THE HORKEY CLUB 2013,14,15,16,17,18,19
Alphamel1968
Art Enthusiast

Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:11 pm

In the article Justin says he had to fight for multiple depictions of single characters on one poster:

[W]hen we handed the poster in, they said you can’t have multiple characters in the design. So, you could see on A New Hope, for instance, there are five LUke Skywalkers. We were so adamant about keeping it that way…. We wrote this gigantic e-mail and put all these examples of posters that had multiple characters. We found blaxploitation movies and found Woody Allen movies and we found classic movies, super old movies. We whipped out Dolemite or The Black Godfather something like that where it has several character renderings. I think we did a Bruce Lee one too. I think it was Enter the Dragon. There are several Bruce Lees on it. We were saying that this harkens back to the 70’s where there’s lots of different scenes in the poster that get you excited about the film.

All he needed to show them was the ESB Style B that hit theaters after Style A was withdrawn (because it omitted Billy Dee Williams):

alteridiom
Art Expert

Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:13 pm

So assuming there will not be a set of 3 regular option, what is the best route to go? Try to cart and checkout individually on all 3? Will Mondo refund shipping and send in 1 tube? Or attempt to cart all 3 prior to checking out? Any insight would be appreciated.
Small town pizza lawyer
kevron62007
Art Expert

Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:14 pm

I am getting both sets because I deserve it. I am going to send Tyler a picture of my Stars Wars collection action figures and I guarantee you he will be impressed. I have been a big fan for a long time and I just wish they made the editions smaller so only the real fans could score them.