Mondotees/Alamo Poster News & Rumors thread

General art-related discussion.
binky79
Art Expert

Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:16 pm

goldenrose wrote:
fanboy wrote:
Mapman wrote:Has anyone who got a single heard anything? Seems like they are shipping sets first?!?!
i got a single and have heard nothing on its shipping.
nothing here either
My account on the Mondo site said it was shipped a few days ago. I didn't get the email until just about an hour ago. They probably printed the label before xmas, and just sent it out today.
taylorisagirlsname
Art Enthusiast

Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:27 pm

So we should still be getting a Twiter notice when it goes on sale. Is this happening AFTER the sale page goes live?
PorkBelly
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:35 pm

taylorisagirlsname wrote:So we should still be getting a Twiter notice when it goes on sale. Is this happening AFTER the sale page goes live?

Not sure. Even though I am too broke to go for the poster tomorrow, I am going to follow the process as if I were trying to snag one. Hopefully, that will clarify some of these questions that have cropped up.
alteridiom
Art Expert

Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:37 pm

KNEEL13 wrote:
alteridiom wrote:Not gonna try for the Jones. His stuff isn't all that appealing to me but good luck to all.
WHAT!!!!???? Are you mad???!!! :shock: :P

I am a little biased. I love his stuff. His work got me into poster collecting in the first place. I have a "few" of his posters. :)
There are several things I like, such as Julia's Eyes. Mostly I like his older work though. Generally the stuff of his I would like to have is a bit pricey at this point.
Small town pizza lawyer
RiotAct
EB Trainee

Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:40 pm

Mapman wrote:Image
Rebelscum.com and TheForce.net bring you an exclusive first look at the second to last Star Wars Mondo Poster by artist Rob Jones. We are thrilled to debut this piece to Star Wars fans and collectors worldwide. This has been an amazing series and we have really enjoyed following along as each piece has been announced.

TITLE: King's Lead Hat
ARTIST: Rob Jones
EDITION: 255
SIZE: 24"x 36"
PRICE: $50

"There's a scene in Star Wars where Grand Moff Tarkin strides into his council room on the Death Star announcing the dissolution of the Imperial Senate. His officers express concern over the Emperor's ability to maintain control of star systems without this governing body. To this Tarkin retorts, 'Fear will keep the local systems in line. Fear of this battle station.'

This exchange made me consider the motivation behind the Emperor's construction of Darth Vader. I'm not referring to just the cybernetic bits maintaining Vader's body but also the active manipulation of his mind to bring him to the dark side. The Emperor created in Vader a weapon no different from the Death Star in its ultimate purpose, a means of generating fear amongst the vast populace he ruled. An administrative tool that became the executor of the Emperor's cruel commands. With that in mind, I decided to depict Vader as a facility harnessing and directing his immense natural power towards malicious ends." - artist, Rob Jones

Be sure to follow @MondoNews for the "on sale" announcement which will be sometime in the afternoon on Tuesday, December 28th.
"Rebels cum" :lol:
1000steps wrote:Gift payments are like unprotected sex - always a bad idea with strangers... If you are gonna do it, do it with someone you trust absolutely.
thebends9
Art Expert

Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:41 pm

That made me laugh; Im a sucker for potty humor
RiotAct
EB Trainee

Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:51 pm

thebends9 wrote:That made me laugh; Im a sucker for potty humor
yeah me too... sorry if I ruined it for anyone :)

This is a pretty cool poster overall, I like Rob Jones' style. However, the cowboys do look out-of-place kinda,
1000steps wrote:Gift payments are like unprotected sex - always a bad idea with strangers... If you are gonna do it, do it with someone you trust absolutely.
But-we-unleashed-a-lion
Art Expert

Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:51 pm

I LOVE the "red/black" Jones period, his prints back then were amazing and for me was the best he created
Would love to see him talking about this piece
And I'm sure this will have lots of hidden symbols and images
MondoFanMichael
Art Expert
Location: Due to overwhelming mistaken identity, I am not eBay user Michael78747!

Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:03 pm

electrachrome wrote:
virtualmert wrote:is that for real? easy pass for me too. whats with the cowboys?
Star Wars is basically a western retold in the guise of a Kirosawa samurai flick with some fancy special effects thrown in.

Rob Jones is a huge Star Wars nerd (I need to find that pic of him & Slater geeking out with the Jaba model/diorama)

first sighting of the cowboys
Anyone seen this one?
ChefFerrari
Art Expert

Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:06 pm

What about The Joker by Steve Miller ?
middayshadows
Art Expert

Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:52 pm

This print is wicked cool IMO.

Given that Star Wars, by Lucas' account, is a retelling/amalgamation in part (or in whole) of previously charted storytelling territory (e.g.Hidden Fortress), it's appropriate that Rob recast the story with his own characters. That freedom to reinterpret is the very best thing about this entire print series. I want to see what Star Wars looks like through the eyes of a Mccarthy or Bertmer or Danger or Rich Kelly or a Jones. And this print is totally Rob Jones.

Rob Jones is awesome, and is the reason that I got into this particular little obsession. To this day two of my most coveted ISO's are by RJ.
thekharmainitiative
Art Expert

Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:09 pm

noeldaddy wrote:
Agreed. I think it's brilliant. Would've been killer if there were a hint of red in the eyes though
Is this what they call "steampunk" style?

I see two targeting computer readouts down at the very bottom.

The eyes remind me of the reactor core from the Death Star 2. And yikes are there three japanese characters written in there too?:

WhoLikesRingo wrote:This single post led to a roller coaster of emotion. Congrats kharma, king of the thread.
jazzgalaxy
Art Expert

Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:36 pm

I love it. I love Jones' style.
Darkknight37
Art Expert

Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:38 pm

Are those Chinese/Japanese characters above his eyes?
Catarax
Art Expert

Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:41 pm

everything is Made in China..
sixstringer wrote: I don't care how they look...I just want to pop off the top and huff the tube!