Mondotees/Alamo Poster News & Rumors thread

General art-related discussion.
JustinIshmael
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:25 pm

mattlew69-

Can you link me to that Banksy thread? I'd like to read through it.

Thanks.
schmoff
Art Expert

Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:26 pm

hellosir wrote:Schmoff, how long did it take you to clean that dryer? That happened to me once, and it was the most pain in the ass thing I have ever endured. drymounted up my clothes too, but it was a small load thankfully
it was almost an hour, SUCKED doing manual labor when your getting ready for bed
gonesolo
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:27 pm

Might have missed it in the craziness, but does anyone know the numbers on sets vs singles?
Codeblue wrote:Oof.
thekharmainitiative
Art Expert

Olly wrote:I live next to PoW so I can just walk in and pick stuff up.
Can you get something for me next time?

Did you read my treatise here on EB regarding how much you should be able to get for your copies of the Star Wars prints? Short version - $200 per design just like Locke's Secret wouldn't be unreasonable. :pint:

Now the question is, how much for the number 1's of each print?
charter
Art Expert

Oh man I can't quote 4 people:(
charter
Art Expert

Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:29 pm

vortec42 wrote:
IndyDMBFan wrote:
charter wrote:
vortec42 wrote:
This was the exact same thing that I got...never happened before. It was that way 2hrs before the drop for me.
Because there are thousands of people on the site hitting f5 waiting to see the cart button. Of course their site is going to be slow. That is what heavy traffic does to websites.
Yeah, I understand. But there were many posts here from people saying the site was lightning fast for them, at the same time I was refreshing and it was never loading. Not saying I was surprised it was slow... just that it didn't seem to be slow for everyone. I wonder if it has to do with something in the internet infrastructure, depending on which distribution point you're being served from.. hell if I know.
Maybe someone whose technically minded can answer this but I think there may be some degree of truth in that. I have a super fast computer, with a super fast connection and we only had two computers on our network at the time. Everything on the internet was moving at lighting speed and yet the checkout pages on Mondo were still hanging whilst a lot of people were scoring these prints.
You got the quotes mixed up Billy Shears...

is it fixed? I fixed mine...don't know about the others.
dasmitty11
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:30 pm

Olto wrote:
Jamesesdad wrote:
Olto wrote:
dasmitty11 wrote:Olto might be the most ignorant moron I've seen on this site ever.
I just find it strange that it was never acknowledged by Mondo that someone was going around claiming to be their past art director, selling prints on eBay for thousands of dollars. That's all. I don't think Justin or anyone at Mondo is actually still doing this, I just find it strange that it went unnoticed by them. Jeez.

There was someone that posted +3 plus a set, by the way, as well as one or two other people that said they got two sets.
If you actually knew anything, you would be aware that Tim Doyle was in fact modno's former art director, who is a regular contributor to this site under the name alexfugazi, and the proprietor of his own print/art studio Nakatomi. I bought a couple of Tim's mondo prints from him on ebay, and the paypal receipt said payment was made to Timothy Doyle in Austin Texas. I don't see why it matters if he sells prints out of his personal collection if he needs the money, he lists mosts of these for well bellow what they are worth, and they just get bid up to those insane prices because they are extremely valuable.

It's just strange to me that it's not acknowledged anywhere that someone is doing this. That's all. He can do whatever he wants with the prints. I just think the silence was strange. I guarantee you if someone on OBEY was found doing this there would be a. public outcry; and b. a statement from them about the legitimacy of the prints and regarding their policy on holding back prints.
dasmitty11 wrote:
do you find comfort in numbers?

nonsense? it is a business, they want to make money, their job isn't to please every nancy who cries that they didn't get a LIMITED EDITION print and wants them to police the big, bad internet trying to stop resellers.

get over yourself, you drymounting suck.
lol, well I'd be more than happy to give my money to them instead of a flipper. The whole point is that THEY should be making the money, not some joe schmoe who got lucky with a drop. Jeez. Why even use "drymounting?" Does it make you feel better about yourself that you aren't "cursing"? You might as well.
LOL, you don't think people who worked at OBEY at one point or another have acquired prints because of them and multiple years later resold them :lol: :lol: Every single artist and shop ever keeps prints for their personal collections, to sell when they need cash or to just put on their walls, would a wikipedia entry help you?

by my calculation mondo set what they saw as the market price and grossed $60k today, shame on them for leaving money on the table. :roll: go complain to them for not selling their stuff at market value.

I would happily curse at you, eb doesn't let you, you donkey.
mattlew69
Art Expert

Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:31 pm

JustinIshmael wrote:mattlew69-

Thanks.
http://banksyforum.proboards.com/index. ... 577&page=1

no matter what anyone says, at least youre not POW. :D
PorkBelly
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:32 pm

dasmitty11 wrote:you wouldn't be collecting things if they weren't 'limited' because that is what makes collecting worthwhile.
This is where we part company. I collect these pieces because I like how they look on my wall.

My collection would look exactly the same as it does right now even if there was no hope of monetary appreciation.
Olto
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:32 pm

dasmitty11 wrote:
I would happily curse at you, eb doesn't let you, you donkey.

I guess I should go :hanging: myself now. I've been quasi-cursed at in an anonymous Internet forum by making the same complaints that 100s of others are making. My life sucks! Thanks for letting me realize this.
rmoore
Art Expert

Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:34 pm

schmoff wrote:
hellosir wrote:Schmoff, how long did it take you to clean that dryer? That happened to me once, and it was the most pain in the ass thing I have ever endured. drymounted up my clothes too, but it was a small load thankfully
it was almost an hour, SUCKED doing manual labor when your getting ready for bed
Pshhh. I was up cleaning puke out of my son's bed at 2:30 when he decided to go all Linda Blair on me with the flu. :wink:
maden
Art Expert

Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:35 pm

What is a Star War?
We'll kill the fatted calf tonight, so stick around

reservoirdogs
Art Enthusiast

Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:36 pm

mcnail wrote:Look, I understand that people will be upset when 10,000 people are trying to buy a few hundred posters, it's just reality that MOST people will miss it. However, to, for some random fvcking reason, suggest that Justin is holding back copies to personally profit is ridiculous. Justin doesn't even own the company anyway, he just works very, very hard for it. drymount off.
Nothing to do with the current drop as I have no dog in the fight, but, after Doyle's recent garage sale, why is this ridiculous?

When he sold the second of two Stout Blade Runner variants for $1500 each (did I read correctly that he had third eaten by his flat file) I was rather ticked, since mine arrive damaged from the original sale (compression marks from Mondo poorly rolling the poster to put it in the shipping tube) and he refused to send a replacement at the time - saying that they 'were beyond sold out'.

I always assumed he had a personal copy, but to have multiples and not correct for an error that was, either directly or indirectly, entirely his resposibility is just bad form.

BTW, I think this says far more about Doyle than Mondo.
dasmitty11
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:36 pm

PorkBelly wrote:
dasmitty11 wrote:you wouldn't be collecting things if they weren't 'limited' because that is what makes collecting worthwhile.
This is where we part company. I collect these pieces because I like how they look on my wall.

My collection would look exactly the same as it does right now even if there was no hope of monetary appreciation.
so you have over 40 posters on your walls? if you do then more power to you.

If not, you wouldn't buy something that isn't limited to stick it in a drawer or in a portfolio, when you could buy it a day, week or year later, for the same price.
ianpotter
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:37 pm

JustinIshmael wrote:mattlew69-

Thanks.
http://banksyforum.proboards.com/index. ... read=62577
The fun starts from around page 60