Mondotees/Alamo Poster News & Rumors thread

General art-related discussion.
charter
Art Expert

Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:52 pm

Who cares what Alex did? He ran the damn place I think he is more entitled to keep a couple if he wants to. Those prints wouldn't even exist without Alex or Justin, Mitch, Rob, etc. so who cares if they have 2 of every poster? Jesus Christ some of you a tit bags.

If you are quick enough to get more than one set...then you deserve them. If you are in a race and you don't get first...you gonna whine that it was someone else's fault that you weren't fast enough?
thekharmainitiative
Art Expert

Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:54 pm

haven wrote:
sasquatch wrote:
schmoff wrote:wow, i guess i'll never own these

http://cgi.ebay.com/Olly-Moss-Star-Wars ... 3f05f08b25

WTF?
Something smells there.

I'm thinking Mondo is going after flippers on this one. I can't believe someone would legitimately pay that much for these.
That thought crossed my mind as well, but I don't know. These sales may very well be legitimate. Besides the fact that the designs on these are really good, the fact that the actual movie names are on these probably makes them a lot more attractive to the movie buffs out there over the rest of the series.
You may be right about the 1150 sale price for the set being fake, but I can see it being possible. Here's why: these Moss prints are Locke's Secret level, in terms of design quality and license popularity. Yes there are twice as many Olly Star Wars prints available, but it's arguable that the fanbase and artistry is double of LOST as well. Olly has gotten so good at "obvious perfection", where you say to yourself, "why didn't I think of that" when you first see the design and then, "he got every detail, every angle, design placement, use of space, typography just perfect" after you look at it for a bit.

Locke's Secret is still selling for $500 when you occasionally see it for sale. These three prints x $500 = as high as $1500 for the set! That wouldn't be crazy (and remember Locke's Secret went for even more than $500 in the early days).
vortec42
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:55 pm

gonzo303 wrote:
vortec42 wrote:Also - the posters that are selling right now are going to shill bids - not necessarily the seller's shill account, but someone else's account trying to 1) build the price up for their own sale, 2) just a disgruntled fan trying to screw with the flippers, or 3) Mondo buying them to get their contact info, then cancelling their orders. (in order of likelihood)
1.Are you doing that? Do you know that is happening?
2. Could be happening, but again do know its happening.
3.Your right, Mondo is buying every single one. :roll:

Seriously you guys are nuts. Its just 3 posters.
Hope you weren't calling me nuts. I'm not outraged, just bummed.

In response to your points -
1) Speculation - but looking at a few that went to buyers with 0 or low feedback (example: http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0682589989 )
2) don't know... just speculation
3) probably not - I agree, they probably don't care. But what I'm suggesting is that they shill bid using a dummy account to get the flipper's contact info. Then cancel the order if they can cross reference it with an order. Then never pay, and since it's on a dummy account they don't lose anything. I agree, this is not likely - that's why I put it last in order of likelihood.
wizzack
Art Expert

Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:56 pm

my fun for the day:

Olto
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:57 pm

charter wrote:Who cares what Alex did? He ran the damn place I think he is more entitled to keep a couple if he wants to. Those prints wouldn't even exist without Alex or Justin, Mitch, Rob, etc. so who cares if they have 2 of every poster? Jesus Christ some of you a tit bags.

If you are quick enough to get more than one set...then you deserve them. If you are in a race and you don't get first...you gonna whine that it was someone else's fault that you weren't fast enough?

Right. I go to a lot of concerts. There are enough bands out there that have fan club presales, etc. -- bands that set aside tickets for fans. If the public found out that someone at Phish ticketing, for example, was siphoning off 10% of New Years Eve tickets, Halloween tickets, whatever, and then selling them in the after-market, there would be mutiny. I know it's condoned in this community but not everyone is used to it.

Also, I might be the only one in this community complaining but I'm certainly not the only one on Twitter. http://twitter.com/?status=%40MondoNews ... 0mondonews

Wow.
Last edited by Olto on Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dasmitty11
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:58 pm

PorkBelly wrote:
Unless you are a flipper, I think it is difficult to argue with Jamesesdad's argument.

Personally, I would love to see Mondo ruin some of these flipper's day by canceling their orders. Probably won't happen due to the workload it would entail but I can hope.
again, this is the most beat to death argument in the world.

how long do you have to hold a print before selling it?

people waste their energy after every 'big' drop arguing the semantics of resale and how the original retailer can combat it, but guess what, it is good for the retailer by driving more people to their site and fuels hype for the artist, so neither have incentive to do anything about it.

it is called supply and demand and demand, no matter who from, is good for an artist's wallet.

the only people who are dumb are the ones who are paying 1000% above face value within 12 hours of the sale. Wait a month or a year, I will bet you $100 these are selling for less.
mattlew69
Art Expert

Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:00 pm

this sounds almost exactly like the Lost thread, which was more than a year ago, to the day.

today, you can buy the whole Lost series of posters for less than what the Olly Moss Lost poster was flipping for, initially.

well, almost. :P
vortec42
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:00 pm

charter wrote:
IndyDMBFan wrote:
vortec42 wrote:I don't know what's wrong with my internet but Mondo was super slow for me all morning. All other sites were just fine. Therefore I knew I had next to no chance when the drop came, even though I was ready for it. All morning, pages never refreshed, hung loading for 5 minutes, etc. Oh well. I did see the order button come up but no chance of checking out.

This was the exact same thing that I got...never happened before. It was that way 2hrs before the drop for me.
Because there are thousands of people on the site hitting f5 waiting to see the cart button. Of course their site is going to be slow. That is what heavy traffic does to websites.
Yeah, I understand. But there were many posts here from people saying the site was lightning fast for them, at the same time I was refreshing and it was never loading. Not saying I was surprised it was slow... just that it didn't seem to be slow for everyone. I wonder if it has to do with something in the internet infrastructure, depending on which distribution point you're being served from.. hell if I know.
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:01 pm

The only complainti have is mondo check out process involves too many screens

When paypal is used it should be.a 2 click process
dasmitty11
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:01 pm

Olto might be the most ignorant moron I've seen on this site ever.
ironjaiden
Art Expert

Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:02 pm

Olto wrote:
ChefFerrari wrote:
Olto wrote:

I know he's pulling a Doyle and pocketed a couple of sets. In three, four years, he'll be riding the wave that he's creating. I'm not the only one pissed and there are people far more pissed than I am. I already manned up and bought a set elsewhere but it's really irritating. It wouldn't be difficult for him to determine who is flipping and cancel those orders. Plus the fact that there are people who got two sets (or a set and three individuals) is just insane to me. I had one carted but ran into the same issues like everyone else. I buy enough "limited edition" things to know that this system is awful. Further, as someone who has $200 at stake here, I think I have a bit of a right to voice my displeasure.
you really are a drymounting clueless idiot to say fudge like that about Tim and Justin
hellosir wrote:
Jamesesdad wrote:How am I fueling the fire? with over 10% of the entire print run up on ebay before any one has even gotten their prints yet, I think people have every right to be frustrated. The flippers screw the real fans out of the prints they want, while price gouging everyone else that missed out. Its a load of bullshit. Justin should go through and BIN all the auctions currently for sale to figure out their paypals, and then cancel their orders, put them on a block list, and file a complaint with ebay for selling products they don't actually have. If Shepard Fairey can do it, surely justin can as well.

You got a set didn't you? Christ, shut the hell up, no one wants to hear you tired ol' flipper rant. Did you ever take an econ class in school? What do you want the sellers of posters to do, send out a quiz beforehand to ensure the people buying them are "true" fans? And every decent flipper has two paypal addresses, so you really expect Mondo to get bogged down in dealing with ebay bullshit after they drymount up flipper auctions?
Get real. Do you actually think Obey cancels orders anymore?

ETC ETC

Do I really think Justin is pocketing these? NO. I have dealt with Justin before on a few things and have only been happy. It was just a frustrated comment, resulting from a combination of:

1. I do find it strange that no one is talking about the fact that it's ex-art director bought prints presale for $10, kept them off the market for years, and then sold them for exorbitant prices (3 the Thing Variants, a run of 70 for upwards of $1500).

2. I do find it strange that Justin thought it would be funny to retweet frustrated tweets as if to put it right back in our faces.

3. I do find it strange that in Mondo's latest Blog post it basically acknowledged that flipping is a fact of life and that we just have to live with it. Other sites (Obey) don't take the same stance.

4. Multiple people on THIS site have already announced that they got more than one set; how many people generally did that?

If you missed this drop, and you're not frustrated, more power to you. But scanning through the posts here and on OMG, and on Mondo's blog from the other day, I see a LOT of frustration. More than usual. There are SO many things that could be done. Yes, limited edition is limited edition. Yes, the free market is the free market. But don't act surprised when people are repulsed by such a reaction, as if you don't care that collectors get shut out while a lucky forty or fifty people just made $500.
Naw dude you're still an ass. Straight up. Who cares what Tim Doyle does with regard to Justin and today's Mondo drop? Who cares that the latest blog recognizes that there is an aftermarket for limited edition posters? Like one dude announced he got more than one set. +3 means we got all three posters, not sets.. I highly doubt anyone else scored a couple sets. Honestly if I were Justin I'd retweet every crybaby temper tantrum I received. Every last one. People were straight up telling Justin "drymount you" because they didn't get to buy a poster, that's utterly unacceptable.
Most folks around here rule and don't act like spoiled children, you need to learn a thing or two about how to carry on.
jjbehren
Flipper

Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:02 pm

I'm frustrated that I haven't scored a Banksy since they went to a lottery. drymount POW and their system of selling prints!!! They suck!!!
dasmitty11
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:03 pm

vortec42 wrote: Yeah, I understand. But there were many posts here from people saying the site was lightning fast for them, at the same time I was refreshing and it was never loading. Not saying I was surprised it was slow... just that it didn't seem to be slow for everyone. I wonder if it has to do with something in the internet infrastructure, depending on which distribution point you're being served from.. hell if I know.

I suggest you read up on how the internet works if you care that much
jjbehren wrote:I'm frustrated that I haven't scored a Banksy since they went to a lottery. drymount POW and their system of selling prints!!! They suck!!!
there is a 155 page thread on the banksy board spewing precisely this. :lol: :lol:
Last edited by dasmitty11 on Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaleCooper
Art Expert

Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:03 pm

vortec42 wrote:
charter wrote:
IndyDMBFan wrote:
vortec42 wrote:I don't know what's wrong with my internet but Mondo was super slow for me all morning. All other sites were just fine. Therefore I knew I had next to no chance when the drop came, even though I was ready for it. All morning, pages never refreshed, hung loading for 5 minutes, etc. Oh well. I did see the order button come up but no chance of checking out.

This was the exact same thing that I got...never happened before. It was that way 2hrs before the drop for me.
Because there are thousands of people on the site hitting f5 waiting to see the cart button. Of course their site is going to be slow. That is what heavy traffic does to websites.
Yeah, I understand. But there were many posts here from people saying the site was lightning fast for them, at the same time I was refreshing and it was never loading. Not saying I was surprised it was slow... just that it didn't seem to be slow for everyone. I wonder if it has to do with something in the internet infrastructure, depending on which distribution point you're being served from.. hell if I know.
Maybe someone whose technically minded can answer this but I think there may be some degree of truth in that. I have a super fast computer, with a super fast connection and we only had two computers on our network at the time. Everything on the internet was moving at lighting speed and yet the checkout pages on Mondo were still hanging whilst a lot of people were scoring these prints.
schmoff
Art Expert

Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:04 pm

more good luck for the day!

went out to the car at lunch and battery is completely dead

go to the place to get a new battery, guess what? they are out of stock on my model!

AWESOME YAY ME