Mondotees/Alamo Poster News & Rumors thread

General art-related discussion.
srdzevon
Art Expert

Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:29 pm

Yeah, you guys at Mondo should really try and find a way to please EVERYONE. I mean seriously. There has got to be better way. Maybe instead of selling the prints why not just rent them? That way all 10000 people could enjoy them eventually. Problem solved.

Seriously though, good job guys. I'm not just saying that cause i scored. I even say that when I miss the drop.
ImageX5 Hodor Image
dasmitty11
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:30 pm

Jamesesdad wrote:
dasmitty11 wrote:
Jamesesdad wrote:Well with over 40 of these either on ebay or already sold for well more than twice what they retailed for, I can see why people are so upset.
here is an idea, don't fuel the fire and prices will come down....and it's still just a poster for theloveofgod, there will be 50 more in the future.
How am I fueling the fire? with over 10% of the entire print run up on ebay before any one has even gotten their prints yet, I think people have every right to be frustrated. The flippers screw the real fans out of the prints they want, while price gouging everyone else that missed out. Its a load of bullshit. Justin should go through and BIN all the auctions currently for sale to figure out their paypals, and then cancel their orders, put them on a block list, and file a complaint with ebay for selling products they don't actually have. If Shepard Fairey can do it, surely justin can as well.

anyone who buys a print on eBay 10 minutes after it is sold out is fueling the fire. let's not forget, no one is holding a gun to your head making you buy anything. real fans, lol...welcome to the real world
recycler
Art Expert

Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:30 pm

The for sale sheet is long...but there are a lot of those that actually have sold.

Not sure if they will be going down as quickly as you think Sasquatch...
charter
Art Expert

Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:34 pm

noeldaddy wrote:Dear Justin,
Please consider not announcing the drop of the next poster at all. Just drop it some random night at 3 in the morning. No speculation, no hype, the flippers won't know if they should purchase it or not because they wouldn't have read 300 posts about how bad people want it. Let the early birds get the worm, let the dedicated fans who check your site every day anyway scoop it up.
No.

Flippers are gonna flip it anyways. I really don't know why people are getting so butt hurt over flippers. There were only like 3 on ebay going for scraps and then when they hit a grand everyone throws theirs on ebay and now there are 50. That is the irony of flipping. They themselves cause the prices to drop and prices will drop. Plus, it really isn't my place to judge someone flipping a print. They could be out of work and this is their job. They might need Christmas money. I don't know and I don't care. People just get upset when they don't get a print and they act stupid.

These are going to the framers as soon as I get them, the same day in fact. These are glorious and I cannot wait to see these on my wall. Screw $800 profit, this is worth more to me than that. But, that is my choice. If I wanted to sell them for 2 grand no one should care because they are mine.

So thank you Mitch, Justin, and Rob. Your site didn't crash and you once again provide an excellent product with excellent service. To Olto...Justin could sell these for $500 and they be rolling in the cash but they don't. Olto needs a big slap in the face with a humongous dvck as Mitch would spell it.
Last edited by charter on Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hellosir
Art Freak

Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:34 pm

Jamesesdad wrote:How am I fueling the fire? with over 10% of the entire print run up on ebay before any one has even gotten their prints yet, I think people have every right to be frustrated. The flippers screw the real fans out of the prints they want, while price gouging everyone else that missed out. Its a load of bullshit. Justin should go through and BIN all the auctions currently for sale to figure out their paypals, and then cancel their orders, put them on a block list, and file a complaint with ebay for selling products they don't actually have. If Shepard Fairey can do it, surely justin can as well.
You got a set didn't you? Christ, shut the hell up, no one wants to hear you tired ol' flipper rant. Did you ever take an econ class in school? What do you want the sellers of posters to do, send out a quiz beforehand to ensure the people buying them are "true" fans? And every decent flipper has two paypal addresses, so you really expect Mondo to get bogged down in dealing with ebay bullshit after they drymount up flipper auctions?
Get real. Do you actually think Obey cancels orders anymore?
vortec42
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:35 pm

I don't know what's wrong with my internet but Mondo was super slow for me all morning. All other sites were just fine. Therefore I knew I had next to no chance when the drop came, even though I was ready for it. All morning, pages never refreshed, hung loading for 5 minutes, etc. Oh well. I did see the order button come up but no chance of checking out.

Also - the posters that are selling right now are going to shill bids - not necessarily the seller's shill account, but someone else's account trying to 1) build the price up for their own sale, 2) just a disgruntled fan trying to screw with the flippers, or 3) Mondo buying them to get their contact info, then cancelling their orders. (in order of likelihood)
Bowley
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:36 pm

Hey all, just a face in the crowd of people who missed out on this one (went for Empire, got past paypal, but too slowly). A little bummed, but I think it was a fair process and wish no ill will on the Mondo guys. It's awesome just to have a shot at one of these things, so I hope they enjoy continued success. To all the entitled people who lost out and are swearing up and down the internet, "NUTS!"

Anyway, grats to those with, and group hug for all those without. Have a safe holiday.

(As an side, I'm not a serious art collector, but I love when your world crosses my hobbies/interests, so I'll be back to slow down the website and make your next drop that I like interesting. :P )
gonzo303
Art Freak

Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:38 pm

vortec42 wrote:Also - the posters that are selling right now are going to shill bids - not necessarily the seller's shill account, but someone else's account trying to 1) build the price up for their own sale, 2) just a disgruntled fan trying to screw with the flippers, or 3) Mondo buying them to get their contact info, then cancelling their orders. (in order of likelihood)
1.Are you doing that? Do you know that is happening?
2. Could be happening, but again do know its happening.
3.Your right, Mondo is buying every single one. :roll:

Seriously you guys are nuts. Its just 3 posters.
Same fudge, different drop.
thekharmainitiative
Art Expert

Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:40 pm

Jamesesdad wrote:
How am I fueling the fire? with over 10% of the entire print run up on ebay before any one has even gotten their prints yet, I think people have every right to be frustrated. The flippers screw the real fans out of the prints they want, while price gouging everyone else that missed out. Its a load of bullshit. Justin should go through and BIN all the auctions currently for sale to figure out their paypals, and then cancel their orders, put them on a block list, and file a complaint with ebay for selling products they don't actually have. If Shepard Fairey can do it, surely justin can as well.
le sigh. Selling a pre-order on ebay is within ebay rules, as long as the seller ships within 30 days of auction close. So your technique would just mean that Mondo/Justin would be breaking contracts and ebay's rules.
Baker
Art Expert

Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:41 pm

gonzo303 wrote:Ok before people get more pissed, I did get 2, BUT I was on 2 different accounts. Which seriously made it harder. I was helping out Tranito because he was working, I feel that what I did was completely legit. One is going to Canada, and one is coming to me. Sorry if you weren't able to get one, except one person. :D
Ill go on the record here, im totally fine with what you did. I dont think you did anything wrong. I mean you got your set and got another one for another person. Isnt that part of what this place is about is helping people out? I wouldnt have some of my prints if not for people on here helping me with a drop. I say cheers for helping out a fellow member.
ironjaiden wrote: "'Weener in June' is completely sold out, thanks for the interest"
IndyDMBFan
Art Expert

Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:42 pm

vortec42 wrote:I don't know what's wrong with my internet but Mondo was super slow for me all morning. All other sites were just fine. Therefore I knew I had next to no chance when the drop came, even though I was ready for it. All morning, pages never refreshed, hung loading for 5 minutes, etc. Oh well. I did see the order button come up but no chance of checking out.

This was the exact same thing that I got...never happened before. It was that way 2hrs before the drop for me.
PorkBelly
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:43 pm

hellosir wrote:
Jamesesdad wrote:How am I fueling the fire? with over 10% of the entire print run up on ebay before any one has even gotten their prints yet, I think people have every right to be frustrated. The flippers screw the real fans out of the prints they want, while price gouging everyone else that missed out. Its a load of bullshit. Justin should go through and BIN all the auctions currently for sale to figure out their paypals, and then cancel their orders, put them on a block list, and file a complaint with ebay for selling products they don't actually have. If Shepard Fairey can do it, surely justin can as well.
You got a set didn't you? Christ, shut the hell up, no one wants to hear you tired ol' flipper rant. Did you ever take an econ class in school? What do you want the sellers of posters to do, send out a quiz beforehand to ensure the people buying them are "true" fans? And every decent flipper has two paypal addresses, so you really expect Mondo to get bogged down in dealing with ebay bullshit after they drymount up flipper auctions?
Unless you are a flipper, I think it is difficult to argue with Jamesesdad's argument.

Personally, I would love to see Mondo ruin some of these flipper's day by canceling their orders. Probably won't happen due to the workload it would entail but I can hope.
charter
Art Expert

Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:45 pm

IndyDMBFan wrote:
vortec42 wrote:I don't know what's wrong with my internet but Mondo was super slow for me all morning. All other sites were just fine. Therefore I knew I had next to no chance when the drop came, even though I was ready for it. All morning, pages never refreshed, hung loading for 5 minutes, etc. Oh well. I did see the order button come up but no chance of checking out.

This was the exact same thing that I got...never happened before. It was that way 2hrs before the drop for me.
Because there are thousands of people on the site hitting f5 waiting to see the cart button. Of course their site is going to be slow. That is what heavy traffic does to websites.
Olto
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:48 pm

ChefFerrari wrote:
Olto wrote:

I know he's pulling a Doyle and pocketed a couple of sets. In three, four years, he'll be riding the wave that he's creating. I'm not the only one pissed and there are people far more pissed than I am. I already manned up and bought a set elsewhere but it's really irritating. It wouldn't be difficult for him to determine who is flipping and cancel those orders. Plus the fact that there are people who got two sets (or a set and three individuals) is just insane to me. I had one carted but ran into the same issues like everyone else. I buy enough "limited edition" things to know that this system is awful. Further, as someone who has $200 at stake here, I think I have a bit of a right to voice my displeasure.
you really are a drymounting clueless idiot to say fudge like that about Tim and Justin
hellosir wrote:

ETC ETC

Do I really think Justin is pocketing these? NO. I have dealt with Justin before on a few things and have only been happy. It was just a frustrated comment, resulting from a combination of:

1. I do find it strange that no one is talking about the fact that it's ex-art director bought prints presale for $10, kept them off the market for years, and then sold them for exorbitant prices (3 the Thing Variants, a run of 70 for upwards of $1500).

2. I do find it strange that Justin thought it would be funny to retweet frustrated tweets as if to put it right back in our faces.

3. I do find it strange that in Mondo's latest Blog post it basically acknowledged that flipping is a fact of life and that we just have to live with it. Other sites (Obey) don't take the same stance.

4. Multiple people on THIS site have already announced that they got more than one set; how many people generally did that?

If you missed this drop, and you're not frustrated, more power to you. But scanning through the posts here and on OMG, and on Mondo's blog from the other day, I see a LOT of frustration. More than usual. There are SO many things that could be done. Yes, limited edition is limited edition. Yes, the free market is the free market. But don't act surprised when people are repulsed by such a reaction, as if you don't care that collectors get shut out while a lucky forty or fifty people just made $500.
Drama79
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:51 pm

P. 418 -> 422 BUTTHURT

Sorry, just indexing for those skimming the thread in a few days.