Mondotees/Alamo Poster News & Rumors thread

General art-related discussion.
recycler
Art Expert

Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:00 pm

Hey noobs, the following is the poster being released tomorrow :)

Actually, I wish this was the poster that mondo released today, then maybe I would have made a purchase. How long is darth's light saber? If it is pointed up it should be half that length. How jacked up are both of Darth's hands? He's got a spooky looking left hand, and a right hand that resembles those HULK gloves! And who is that, a pre-pubescent Luke?

This is a serious question: did any of you who bought the poster look at the detailed shots on mondo's site?

Aidan > Frank but Aidan < Horkey
thekharmainitiative
Art Expert

Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:13 pm

Everybody's talkin' about Aidan.

Hope he gets better.
WhoLikesRingo wrote:This single post led to a roller coaster of emotion. Congrats kharma, king of the thread.
solthistle
Art Connoisseur

Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:14 pm

I just bought one of Aidans monsters this morning "Scream". Everyone should check out his etsy shop Aidansmonsters. It's for a great cause and the kid has talent!!
"If you were a good pimp you would've hit me by now!"

"If looks could kill, I am a-dead now"
piratesprayer
Art Expert

Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:14 pm

posted on mondotees twitter.....
Thanks for the quick sellout today. Wait....isn't there some kind of holiday this weekend? Maybe we'll do something for it tomorrow.

interesting
talkingdeads wrote:My nipples just did a back flip!
dylansdad
Art Expert

Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:24 pm

recycler wrote:How long is darth's light saber? If it is pointed up it should be half that length. How jacked up are both of Darth's hands? He's got a spooky looking left hand, and a right hand that resembles those HULK gloves! And who is that, a pre-pubescent Luke?

This is a serious question: did any of you who bought the poster look at the detailed shots on mondo's site?
I think there are a lot of people who really like this poster. I know I am one of them.

If I wanted to look at a film still or screen cap, I would do that and enjoy strict and literal accuracy. But when it comes to art, I want to see the artist's interpretation. I want to see them bring their own style to the image. I like something like this far better than a piece that looks like they recolored some stock image in Photoshop. Art is meant to be evocative at times rather than literal, and this has a great sense of drama and mood and menace. But it's cool if you don't like it and I hope that another one will come along that suits your tastes better. I guess we all have our own preferences.
tranito
Art Expert

Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:28 pm

I have to totally agree with the ''not so good'' camp. I really wanted to love the new release, I mean it's fun to get pumped up about a drop, especially considering how ''iconic'' this scene is, but I got to admit I still can't find much in this one that I could honestly say is impressing. Level of details is rather low, linework and rendition is doubtful, colors are allright, illo in general is not very strong imho. I'm not even falling for the perspective which is supposed to be the punching factor.
I find it interesting for the very legitimate reasons dylansdad has just mentionned above, but my appreciation is that he just didn't nail it. My guess is the subjet, the ''iconic scene'', is getting the Star Wars fan very excited in a lot of people. Someone has mentionned ''this is the best release thus far''.. I'd love to hear why this release is so good on an artistic level, because it sounds like it's their ''favorite scene worked on thus far'' more than anything else. Not hating, just discussing.
Last edited by tranito on Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Kramerica wrote:There are a ton of really nice people who come across as complete dickheads on EB.
leescape
Art Enthusiast

Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:29 pm

dylansdad wrote:
I think there are a lot of people who really like this poster. I know I am one of them.

If I wanted to look at a film still or screen cap, I would do that and enjoy strict and literal accuracy. But when it comes to art, I want to see the artist's interpretation. I want to see them bring their own style to the image. I like something like this far better than a piece that looks like they recolored some stock image in Photoshop. Art is meant to be evocative at times rather than literal, and this has a great sense of drama and mood and menace. But it's cool if you don't like it and I hope that another one will come along that suits your tastes better. I guess we all have our own preferences.
:clap: Couldn't have said it better myself.
Catarax
Art Expert

Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:41 pm

Darkknight37 wrote:I love it! Kind of reminds me of the original concept art.
sixstringer wrote: I don't care how they look...I just want to pop off the top and huff the tube!
selassielion
Art Expert

Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:14 pm

tranito wrote: Level of details is rather low, linework and rendition is doubtful, colors are allright, illo in general is not very strong imho. I'm not even falling for the perspective which is supposed to be the punching factor.
I know you are just trying to discuss, but where or what are the reasons for your opinion of this being sub-par? Your analysis is very subjective, "I don't think/I don't like/These don't look good to me..". I think DD hit it on the head in that this looks very cool b/c it resembles a storyboard image, rather than a re-imagining of a scene (Dagobah, Jabba) or something that was never captured in the films (Power Droid, Sand person, etc - the print images, not the actual characters).

I give the artist credit, because with the Star Wars crowd in general, I think the closer you try to recreate a scene exactly, the more the loyalists are going to nit-pick it apart with details, background/foregrounds, etc. We have seen it with every print on here in one way or another.

I think (my opinion) that this is one of the better prints of this series, and I'm not into SW that much, and haven't bought any of these, so that is somewhat objective, no?
Kdh12 wrote:It is not rockets science
tranito
Art Expert

Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:20 pm

Why are you objective again?

Besides the choice of the iconic scene, I can understand the other strong argument being that people give a lot of credit to Frank for his artistic approach. I agree, props to him, no issue there. My problem is with the execution. Recycler's example of the light saber being way too long illustrates that well, and objectively. It's badly rendered. But that's a detail. Overall, I've pointed the low level of details among other things leaving me hungry for more, especially with the material the artist had in hands with this montruous scene. I don't mean the result is bad by any mean. It's pretty cool, but technically, I'm not impressed.
Last edited by tranito on Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kramerica wrote:There are a ton of really nice people who come across as complete dickheads on EB.
selassielion
Art Expert

Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:26 pm

I'm asking you why you aren't impressed. You didn't give any specifics, just vague dislikes. You said discuss, I am discussing. Here's an example of why someone didn't specifically like it:
recycler wrote: How long is darth's light saber? If it is pointed up it should be half that length. How jacked up are both of Darth's hands? He's got a spooky looking left hand, and a right hand that resembles those HULK gloves!
That's all I'm asking you, unless this is just you being contrarian again.
Kdh12 wrote:It is not rockets science
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:36 pm

Doesn't make any sense that anyone would have to defend why they don't like a particular piece, even beyond their reasons they chose to list.

I didn't really like it either, so I passed. Big deal.
tranito
Art Expert

Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:39 pm

Lol lion, you're saying the opposite of DD.. :rolling:
selassielion wrote:I think DD hit it on the head in that this looks very cool b/c it resembles a storyboard image, rather than a re-imagining of a scene (Dagobah, Jabba) or something that was never captured in the films (Power Droid, Sand person, etc - the print images, not the actual characters).
dylansdad wrote: If I wanted to look at a film still or screen cap, I would do that and enjoy strict and literal accuracy. But when it comes to art, I want to see the artist's interpretation. I want to see them bring their own style to the image.
Last edited by tranito on Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cardhawks
Art Expert

Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:42 pm

I like it :D
top 5 SW so far
yep
solthistle
Art Connoisseur

Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:42 pm

wonkabars7 wrote:Doesn't make any sense that anyone would have to defend why they don't like a particular piece, even beyond their reasons they chose to list.

I didn't really like it either, so I passed. Big deal.
seriously..if you don't like it you don't like it. There is no prerequisite to like every SW print that drops.
"If you were a good pimp you would've hit me by now!"

"If looks could kill, I am a-dead now"