Mondotees/Alamo Poster News & Rumors thread

General art-related discussion.
mcsquiggins
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:26 pm

All of these prints will sell. I doubt it makes much difference to Mondo if they sell out in 10 seconds or 10 days. For the time being, they don't need to change their business plan to continue making fudge loads of money, because people will continue to buy bad art just because it's from Mondo. As prints sit on the page more and more, the Mondo brand will become less desirable and then they will have to make a change, but that's probably a couple years away, at this rate.
Wockenfuss
Art Expert

Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:56 pm

RelaxingDragon wrote:Children of Men may be the greatest movie of the 2000s (full stop)
Zodiac disagrees. :)

And dammit we need a Zodiac print!
I Heart Haddonfield.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:00 pm

Wockenfuss wrote:
RelaxingDragon wrote:Children of Men may be the greatest movie of the 2000s (full stop)

And dammit we need a Zodiac print!
Mmmm. Yes. Would love to have one of Zodiac.
So it goes...
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:05 pm

Did we ever find out who's doing the August gallery show? Was it Edmiston, or was that just a guess.
So it goes...
IWish
Art Expert

Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:10 pm

mcsquiggins wrote:All of these prints will sell. I doubt it makes much difference to Mondo if they sell out in 10 seconds or 10 days. For the time being, they don't need to change their business plan to continue making fudge loads of money, because people will continue to buy bad art just because it's from Mondo. As prints sit on the page more and more, the Mondo brand will become less desirable and then they will have to make a change, but that's probably a couple years away, at this rate.
I'm one of the oldsters, around here. Goes without saying' why I haven't bought any Mondo, this year...not into aliens and such. I would have gone for the Durieux/Birds had it made it online, but we knew that wasn't going to happen.

Mondo releases movie prints without billing block. I sure wish that they'd do something similar, but as travel posters. There wouldn't be the need to get likeness rights. If they're done right with proper movie/elements/artifacts...whatever - they'd still be identifiable to the respective movies.

Dear Mondo,

I would like Indiana Jones & Star Wars 3-set travel posters as well as a Titanic. 18" x 24" please.

Thank you,
Sue

P.S. Also, not gallery exclusives.
c0bbz
Art Expert

Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:20 pm

Wockenfuss wrote:
There Will Be Blood, No Country for Old Men and Pan's Labyrinth say "hi".
Image ISO FILM NOIR Image
jkw3000
EB Team

Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:24 pm

c0bbz wrote:
Wockenfuss wrote:
There Will Be Blood, No Country for Old Men and Pan's Labyrinth say "hi".
And many, many more are waving.

CoM's definitely on the short list though. Great job by Cuaron.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
finneganm
Art Freak

Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:25 pm

Zodiac isn't even in my top 20 from the 2000s
Movie list time!
That's what she said
jkw3000
EB Team

Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:30 pm

I'm still holding my breath for a full Eternal Sunshine poster. That's my I'm-out-of-the-game piece nowadays.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
Awesome
Art Expert

Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:31 pm

jrsheppa wrote:
Awesome wrote:
farva2 wrote:Never thought I'd see the day where 4 taylor prints are sucking dust on the mondo shop.
People aren't making money by flipping anymore so that's why many posters aren't selling out, those days are over.
I think my question is now this: Moving forward, does Mondo keep it status quo and not change anything, or do they reduce run sizes / do less prints in order to get the instant sell outs back?
Raise the prices and lower the edition sizes while continuing to make movie posters with billing blocks and get likenesses locked down.
IWish
Art Expert

Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:42 pm

I'm in the group that thinks Mondo doesn't really care if they're not instant sell-outs online.

The gallery is making good $ at events selling OG's. The flippable prints are selling-out at the events - Mondo has a good thing going now with those who are buying in Austin to resell. Less headache for Mondo - let the Austin folk deal with shipping and dealing with online buyers. Smart, but doesn't mean I have to like it. :wink:
mike123230
Art Expert

Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:43 pm

IWish wrote:
mcsquiggins wrote:All of these prints will sell. I doubt it makes much difference to Mondo if they sell out in 10 seconds or 10 days. For the time being, they don't need to change their business plan to continue making fudge loads of money, because people will continue to buy bad art just because it's from Mondo. As prints sit on the page more and more, the Mondo brand will become less desirable and then they will have to make a change, but that's probably a couple years away, at this rate.
I'm one of the oldsters, around here. Goes without saying' why I haven't bought any Mondo, this year...not into aliens and such. I would have gone for the Durieux/Birds had it made it online, but we knew that wasn't going to happen.

Mondo releases movie prints without billing block. I sure wish that they'd do something similar, but as travel posters. There wouldn't be the need to get likeness rights. If they're done right with proper movie/elements/artifacts...whatever - they'd still be identifiable to the respective movies.

Dear Mondo,

I would like Indiana Jones & Star Wars 3-set travel posters as well as a Titanic. 18" x 24" please.

Thank you,
Sue

P.S. Also, not gallery exclusives.
Not liking the Indiana Jones 3-set travel posters on Acme?
whiskaz
Art Expert

Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:44 pm

finneganm wrote:Zodiac isn't even in my top 20 from the 2000s
Movie list time!
Bah! Why on earth not? Besides that whole film is subjective argument.

I was traveling a lot to NYC around that time and saw Zodiac on my first visit to The Ziegfeld Theatre. At the time, DLP projection was kind of a novelty (at least for my hometown...). The film looked amazing!

Also saw Children of Men and No Country for Old Men during all that travel to NY. Spent a great deal of my off-time going to the movies actually. Caught a lot of good ones. I'm all about paying $12 a ticket if I'm going solo :pint:

I also caught Clerks 2 at the Anjelika (ehhh). 300 at the Lincoln Square IMAX.

Man, I kinda miss NYC. I'm fortunate enough to have a decent theater 30 minutes away now...
Wockenfuss
Art Expert

Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:49 pm

finneganm wrote:Zodiac isn't even in my top 20 from the 2000s
Movie list time!
For shame!
I Heart Haddonfield.
IWish
Art Expert

Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:56 pm

mike123230 wrote:Not liking the Indiana Jones 3-set travel posters on Acme?
It's funny you asked, I had googled and those were the only related print/sets. They're fine looking...I've been known to buy my fair share of giclees...much prefer screen prints. Horkey/Titanic travel poster. I dunno'...just throwing stuff out there.