Mondotees/Alamo Poster News & Rumors thread

General art-related discussion.
UrsusMorris
Art Expert

Thu May 29, 2014 9:23 am

fourthstooge wrote:I predict The Matrix will be the next Aliens and Game of Thrones. We're gonna be bitching about too many Matrix posters this time next year.
Nature of the beast.
mattkardish wrote:the polar bear would take the great white to the corner of jabroni drive and know your role boulevard and rock bottom his ass onto that stop sign and finish him off with the people's elbow. clearly y'all can't smell what the polar bear is cookin.
iambillyg
Art Freak

Thu May 29, 2014 9:31 am

toobs wrote:Man you guys really don't like those tong matrix posters??? Just in jpgs they look pretty cool, I guess when you look at it through a designers eye they are different cause you know what it takes to do something like that.
This. Watching Kevin's process videos show the amount of time and attention to detail he puts into his pieces. Looking at the jpegs of these, you can tell how meticulous he was. Hoping he'll post a video for these.
RiverRoad
Art Connoisseur

Thu May 29, 2014 9:55 am

iambillyg wrote:
toobs wrote:Man you guys really don't like those tong matrix posters??? Just in jpgs they look pretty cool, I guess when you look at it through a designers eye they are different cause you know what it takes to do something like that.
This. Watching Kevin's process videos show the amount of time and attention to detail he puts into his pieces. Looking at the jpegs of these, you can tell how meticulous he was. Hoping he'll post a video for these.
Just because a long time has been spent on a poster, it doesn't necessarily make it a successful poster. Nor if it's technically complicated either.
PaintByNumbers
Art Expert

Thu May 29, 2014 10:00 am

What's the hold-up for likenesses not being approved? Are actors concerned how they'll be portrayed? Or is it money?

If it's money, and it's a big name movie, why not up the selling price if it's not that significant? It also might reduce the profit for Mondo for a print or two but for certain movies, seems like the only way to go.
If you would like to help those affected by the tragedy in Boston, please donate here : http://onefundboston.org/

'I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum. '
Solar
Art Connoisseur

Thu May 29, 2014 10:31 am

PaintByNumbers wrote:What's the hold-up for likenesses not being approved? Are actors concerned how they'll be portrayed? Or is it money?

If it's money, and it's a big name movie, why not up the selling price if it's not that significant? It also might reduce the profit for Mondo for a print or two but for certain movies, seems like the only way to go.
Pretty sure Mitch just said that's not an option. No tiered pricing.
cchang
Art Connoisseur

Thu May 29, 2014 10:39 am

mondonut76 wrote:
UrsusMorris wrote:
mondonut76 wrote:Predator is going on 30 years old and no still no one has really nailed a poster for it.
Wrong.
Kramerica wrote:wish there was a Wolf Man though.
I cannot stress enough how much i agree with this statement.
UrsusMorris wrote: Wrong
I've looked around and I stand by my Predator statement. The Thorp poster was cool. The Manev poster is really cool. Almost nailed it. But no one has ever got it perfect. People always get hung up on the predator itself, Manev excluded, and forget what an awesome cast of faces that film has. Bill Duke, Carl Weathers, The Body Ventura, etc. All the posters just become about the Predator standing there looking freaky. And Taylor's snake thing is different but again, it doesn't capture the movie. I don't know what it captures, other than 'Hey, Predator hates snakes.'
The search button is your friend. Gabz did a great job.
FlapJack
Art Expert

Thu May 29, 2014 10:44 am

iambillyg wrote:
There is nothing wrong Kevin's art, just the subject matter chosen to represent the film makes it less attractive.

I look forward to Mondo's next Matrix poster depicting the Oracle's kitchen ... maybe with some fresh baked cookies cooling.
bb2j3z
Art Enthusiast

Thu May 29, 2014 10:53 am

FlapJack wrote: I look forward to Mondo's next Matrix poster depicting the Oracle's kitchen ... maybe with some fresh baked cookies cooling.
MatrixNaziCookies.jpg
fourthstooge
Art Expert

Thu May 29, 2014 10:57 am

On that note since it seems like not many will be goin for them can someone PB me a set, I'm gunna be out in the middle of San Diego bay doin a photo shoot with girls in bikinis riding paddle boards, First world problems ya know.
I hate you now.
I used to be a collector...now I'm a hoarder.
UrsusMorris
Art Expert

Thu May 29, 2014 11:06 am

I gotta say, i think the Matrix piece looks pretty cool. That bein said, i have never watched The Matrix. Any of them.
mattkardish wrote:the polar bear would take the great white to the corner of jabroni drive and know your role boulevard and rock bottom his ass onto that stop sign and finish him off with the people's elbow. clearly y'all can't smell what the polar bear is cookin.
jkw3000
EB Team

Thu May 29, 2014 11:07 am

Not like these are alternative movie poster designs or anything. Tong did something different than what was expected of the property but totally fitting his aesthetics and design tendencies. I like the design but I get it's definitely a "not for everyone" choice.
toobs wrote: On that note since it seems like not many will be goin for them can someone PB me a set, I'm gunna be out in the middle of San Diego bay doin a photo shoot with girls in bikinis riding paddle boards, First world problems ya know.
Looks less like a PB request and more like a WT offer. :wink:
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
badlieut
Art Connoisseur

Thu May 29, 2014 11:19 am

Solar wrote:
PaintByNumbers wrote:What's the hold-up for likenesses not being approved? Are actors concerned how they'll be portrayed? Or is it money?

Well, if Pittidies is to be believed, his T2 was being passed around for likeness rights before it was squashed. Then a Mondo T2 with no likeness comes out weeks later.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Thu May 29, 2014 11:25 am

Where's my equilibrium print?
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
partpat
Art Freak

Thu May 29, 2014 11:26 am

badlieut wrote:
Solar wrote:

Well, if Pittidies is to be believed, his T2 was being passed around for likeness rights before it was squashed. Then a Mondo T2 with no likeness comes out weeks later.

Why would anyone beleive that dude at this point??
Solar
Art Connoisseur

Thu May 29, 2014 11:27 am

badlieut wrote:
Solar wrote:

They may have likeness rights subject to approval. Pittidies' print may have been shot down due to the likenesses being a little weak, then another print put on the fast track to meet the release date.

It's all just speculation, but I'd choose to believe Mitch on this one.