Mondotees/Alamo Poster News & Rumors thread

General art-related discussion.
User avatar
RottenAtom
Art Freak
Posts: 14707
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:51 am
Location: Houston, TX

Thu May 08, 2014 1:12 pm

captainhavoc wrote:I miss seeing hand painted matte backgrounds in films. They didn't always look convincing but when they were done right the end result was just gorgeous.

http://nzpetesmatteshot.blogspot.com/20 ... three.html
Agreed. I'm a huge fan of matte paintings and they're more realistic than a lot of effects.
Image
The Sting
Image
User avatar
jeffreyjonesbsme
Art Expert
Posts: 1167
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:08 pm

Thu May 08, 2014 1:18 pm

captainhavoc wrote:I miss seeing hand painted matte backgrounds in films. They didn't always look convincing but when they were done right the end result was just gorgeous.

http://nzpetesmatteshot.blogspot.com/20 ... three.html

Image
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
Most of what you read on the internet is not true....signed Abraham Lincoln
User avatar
DrDelight
Art Enthusiast
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:00 am

Thu May 08, 2014 1:35 pm

How good is Mondo's at replying to customer responses?
I updated my shipping address prior to the sale and for some reason my old address showed up on my invoice.
User avatar
bulkhead72
Art Expert
Posts: 9504
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:50 am
Location: Los Angeles

Thu May 08, 2014 1:40 pm

DrDelight wrote:How good is Mondo's at replying to customer responses?
I updated my shipping address prior to the sale and for some reason my old address showed up on my invoice.
They're very good. Someone should get in touch within 24 hours.
User avatar
Kramerica
Art Freak
Posts: 13824
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:37 am
Location: Corner of 1st & 1st

Thu May 08, 2014 1:41 pm

RottenAtom wrote:
Kramerica wrote:Let's go back to RA saying that he enjoyed Noah. I am curious to hear about that film as I love Aranofsky but always looked sideways at that movie. When I saw the trailer, I thought it looked like garbage. When I saw it was not only directed by but also written by Aronofsky, my interest was piqued.

Did you review that one RA?
I didn't review that one, no invite to a press screening.

I was hesitant going in because I'm a spiritual person, but I don't like organized religion. I was pleasantly surprised that Aronofsky drew from several religions (heavily from the Book of Enoch) and delivered a story that is going to piss off a lot of closed-minded religious people who think their church/god is the only correct one. If folks have a decent grasp on that stuff it should be exhilarating, otherwise it might weird people out! Rock monsters :P

Like I said, the CGI is used for everything and it's really not that polished, but the movie gets by on the story and performances. I was actually moved by it. I haven't checked to see who did the effects, but I wish it was done by the people who did Life of Pi (a movie with killer effects that was ruined by the forced religious message, imo).

Aronofsky delivered another winner and takes Noah to places most directors never would/could.
That's good to hear. I am a big fan of the Book of Enoch and would also consider myself pretty spiritual but definitely not dogmatic and don't ascribe to one set of spiritual beliefs. Too bad the effects are lacking.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
User avatar
biakabo
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 201
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 11:49 am

Thu May 08, 2014 1:43 pm

Jamilton wrote:They still have at least one more Mitchell drop to go. I was just at the gallery today and they've got about 10 more portraits and the JLUs that are still available.
Do you mind me asking what prints were left? Both portraits and JLU's.
User avatar
DrDelight
Art Enthusiast
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:00 am

Thu May 08, 2014 1:45 pm

bulkhead72 wrote:
DrDelight wrote:How good is Mondo's at replying to customer responses?
I updated my shipping address prior to the sale and for some reason my old address showed up on my invoice.
They're very good. Someone should get in touch within 24 hours.
Thanks B.....
User avatar
c0bbz
Art Expert
Posts: 2980
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 12:00 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Thu May 08, 2014 1:46 pm

Went into Noah worried that it wouldn't feel like an Aronofsky film.

Was pleasantly surprised that it absolutely did, but at the same time, all the more disappointed because it didn't feel like a good one.

And I thought the CGI in that movie was incredibly hit or miss. Some elements (the flood) looked great, while others (the animals), just looked off.
Image ISO FILM NOIR Image
User avatar
RottenAtom
Art Freak
Posts: 14707
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:51 am
Location: Houston, TX

Thu May 08, 2014 1:46 pm

Kramerica wrote:That's good to hear. I am a big fan of the Book of Enoch and would also consider myself pretty spiritual but definitely not dogmatic and don't ascribe to one set of spiritual beliefs. Too bad the effects are lacking.
Nice, after you check it out I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts. I was skeptical going in, and I won't doubt Aronofsky again.
Image
User avatar
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert
Posts: 6712
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:48 pm
Location: Houston

Thu May 08, 2014 2:04 pm

yay the captain has shipped
User avatar
lsmith55
Art Expert
Posts: 5560
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:30 pm

Thu May 08, 2014 2:10 pm

DrDelight wrote:
bulkhead72 wrote:
DrDelight wrote:How good is Mondo's at replying to customer responses?
I updated my shipping address prior to the sale and for some reason my old address showed up on my invoice.
They're very good. Someone should get in touch within 24 hours.
Thanks B.....
Depends on how much they have going on actually. They will ALWAYS, solve your problem, but if they are busy you might have to send them a few reminders to get a response.
Image Don't try it, you drymount.
User avatar
Awesome
Art Expert
Posts: 1882
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:16 am

Thu May 08, 2014 3:11 pm

Casette tapes are coming back!
celloman85
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 961
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:45 pm

Thu May 08, 2014 3:21 pm

First time I am excited about a Mondo vinyl release. Crossing my fingers for a colored vinyl tomorrow.
User avatar
jlabbate
Art Freak
Posts: 15992
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:44 pm
Location: The BIG Apple
Contact:

Thu May 08, 2014 3:22 pm

Awesome wrote:Casette tapes are coming back!
isn't this one of the signs of the Apocalypse?
User avatar
jkw3000
EB Team
Posts: 23373
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:22 pm
Location: NYC

Thu May 08, 2014 3:25 pm

jlabbate wrote:
Awesome wrote:Casette tapes are coming back!
isn't this one of the signs of the Apocalypse?
8-tracks.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
Locked