binky79
Art Expert

Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:33 pm

Just saw that Jock variant. :drool: :drool: :drool:

Variant >>>>>>> Regular
rubberneck
Art God

Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:34 pm

finneganm wrote:If you own the original, and you're pissed that they made a print out of it, you're probably a bit of a douchebag. If you're mad that you could have had the same image on your wall for cheaper, take a picture and go to Kinkos.
QFT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
Badbutch
Art Expert

Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:44 pm

I've got an Edmiston that they made a print out of and it doesn't bother me a bit. I dig knowing I've got the original of something a bunch of people have hanging in their house. Share the wealth I say.
"'Cause I'm a karate man! And a karate man bruises on the inside!" ~ Billy Ray Valentine
chisoxfan2424
Art Expert

Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:45 pm

I have commissioned a few OG paintings and it wouldn't matter to me. I still have the original.
rmoore wrote:Can't trust someone that doesn't like Jurassic Park...
Badbutch
Art Expert

Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:46 pm

Badbutch wrote:I've got an Edmiston that they made a print out of and it doesn't bother me a bit. I dig knowing I've got the original of something a bunch of people have sitting in their flat file. Share the wealth I say.
FTFM
"'Cause I'm a karate man! And a karate man bruises on the inside!" ~ Billy Ray Valentine
FlapJack
Art Expert

Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:13 pm

trarex wrote:Just don't do a 2nd 3rd or so on edition of a print I own.
Hmmm, why not share the wealth of art for more people to enjoy?

I guess I'm just not as enlightened as the rest of ya'll. I also don't have any good recipes for kale.
fitz
Art Expert

Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:19 pm

FlapJack wrote:I guess I'm just not as enlightened as the rest of ya'll. I also don't have any good recipes for kale.
I had to google what it was
fitz
Art Expert

Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:21 pm

Wockenfuss wrote:
jlabbate wrote:
Kramerica wrote:If we are talking Carpenter movies, The Thing has one of the best scores around. Love me some Morricone.
:pint:

I personally love all of his scores from Halloween up to & Including BTiLC
I love Carpenter's scores as well. My personal favorite is The Fog.
you never heard Halloween until you hear bongo version
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:23 pm

GiantBoyDective wrote:mondo & the artist own the rights to the art. it's theirs to do whatever they want with.
Tell that to Lucasfilm.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
jkw3000
EB Team

Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:27 pm

binky79 wrote:Just saw that Jock variant. :drool: :drool: :drool:

Variant >>>>>>> Regular
Yeah, to get back to art...I want to like the variant more because I think the landscape and title placement are phenomenal, but the placement of the pole near the center is throwing it off for me. Reg's still my preference but glad both options are now exist for collectors (or not, depending on your access to a ThoughtBubble PB).
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
bk
Art Connoisseur

Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:35 pm

GiantBoyDective wrote:mondo & the artist own the rights to the art. it's theirs to do whatever they want with.

original art is a funny term...

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k413 ... ouring.jpg
rotembk
Art Connoisseur

Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:11 pm

I think the Rivera OG and print actually present a common and good compromise, i.e., by making the print in color while the OG is pencil and ink, retains the uniqueness of the OG even if the only thing you care about is the image.

Also, one factor that wasn't addressed expressly in the discussion so far is the identity of the artist and one's familiarity with her. A lot of times I see an image I like but I either don't care about the artist, or don't care enough, to justify the price tag in my mind (and I do appreciate the work that the artist put into it and all, but it's just not for me), in which case I'd be happy to settle for just a print . But if the artist is someone I love and followed for years, and always wanted a sample of her work to own, I'd jump on the opportunity to buy an OG that I like and can afford.

Also, if I'm not certain that I'd actually hang a piece on my wall, buying a print that may eventually remain in my portfolio is something I can live with, whereas I'm not wealthy enough to do the same with OGs (and, personally, I'm not experienced and knowledgable enough to think that I'd be able to sell an OG and recoup my costs).
fourthstooge
Art Expert

Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:22 pm

chisoxfan2424 wrote:I have commissioned a few OG paintings and it wouldn't matter to me. I still have the original.
I've got the OG's for several designs that are also posters. Personally, I get a kick out of having both the OG and poster. It's really cool to have the pencil, ink, AND poster. I've wasted all kinds of time comparing the different stages.
I used to be a collector...now I'm a hoarder.
xjmjx
Art Expert

Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:30 am

fourthstooge wrote:
chisoxfan2424 wrote:I have commissioned a few OG paintings and it wouldn't matter to me. I still have the original.
I've got the OG's for several designs that are also posters. Personally, I get a kick out of having both the OG and poster. It's really cool to have the pencil, ink, AND poster. I've wasted all kinds of time comparing the different stages.
I enjoy living vicariously through others who can do this and share those subtle nuances.
fourthstooge
Art Expert

Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:43 pm

xjmjx wrote:
fourthstooge wrote:
I enjoy living vicariously through others who can do this and share those subtle nuances.
There's plenty of original art out there that's not terribly expensive that becomes posters. I've picked up some great deals, especially for the amount of work that went in to them. There is a lot of stuff out there for a few hundred bucks if you just find an artist that you like whose popularity hasn't exploded and you can get a good deal and support the artist at the same point. I've got a way of buying shitty lottery tickets so I'm not able to go buy all the stuff I'd like to have. If I could, I'd have 20 Horkey inks on the wall!
I used to be a collector...now I'm a hoarder.