Mondotees/Alamo Poster News & Rumors thread

General art-related discussion.
skis007
Art Expert

Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:29 am

Hot damn, a youtube celebrity in our midst.
Jfwong
Art Enthusiast

Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:31 am

skis007 wrote:Hot damn, a youtube celebrity in our midst.
buying all da posters, posting all da videos.
binky79
Art Expert

Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:33 am

Gundam wrote:bringing it back on some sort of track...jock's the thing ink looks fantastic

:drool:

Gundam
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:34 am

Jfwong wrote:(repost, first one got super delayed due to moderation)

To be both a total noob and devil's advocate, exactly how much of a difference does Punch's leaks make in the enormity of SDCC? 30% of people lining up for poster drops are con-goers that just see a big line, cool art, and decide to wait for it. Sure the anticipation is gone, as is the element of surprise, but do Punch's leaks reach the people standing in line? Exactly how many people in this forum are at SDCC, following this thread, and gauging their appearance in line as a result of it? I can't imagine that number is over 50%, but please enlighten me if I'm mistaken (or missing a more important point.)
I wouldn't call you devil's advocate...You just have common sense
yingko
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:40 am

I gotta say that Billy G. was like an indentured rock star to me. Here's a cat who made the transition from super fan to Mondo insider while still keeping us in touch with his detail pics. Great job! Now get some rest, pal.
binky79
Art Expert

Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:44 am

Jfwong wrote:...the anticipation is gone, as is the element of surprise...
Is that not enough of a reason? And other have said it isn't really good for the blogs/outlets that typically release the info.

Lots of people asking "why not?", but why leak it to begin with?
Gundam
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:45 am

binky79 wrote:
Is that not enough of a reason? And other have said it isn't really good for the blogs/outlets that typically release the info.

We should have a poll.
GiantBoyDective
Art Freak

Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:47 am

yingko wrote:I gotta say that Billy G. was like an indentured rock star to me. Here's a cat who made the transition from super fan to Mondo insider while still keeping us in touch with his detail pics. Great job! Now get some rest, pal.
I'm pretty sure Billy told punch
Image #trollcru
danieldanger wrote:what you do aint hustlin. see, in MY hustle, i get to sell the whole run and each print only costs me like $6. y'alls is small potatoe street level fudge.
binky79
Art Expert

Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:47 am

Gundam wrote:We should have a poll.
Jfwong
Art Enthusiast

Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:53 am

binky79 wrote:

Counterpoint - looking at Mondo's Twitter feed we see these outlets covering the releases: Fearnet, MTVGeek, Collider, Screencrush, USA Today, Fandango. They probably pull in plenty of people to read their content, and these links get spread around very quickly through Twitter as well. How the heck is a giant megathread going to really make it worse for these outlets? Heck, if you, like me, miss the original post or the scattered quoted replies of it, you have to spend a decent amount of time searching out the original info. Heck even if you don't know what SOTD stands for you're going to be in the dark. So does it make any difference in the traffic these outlets get? If anything I want to read the official article more since the rumor posts are so vague in nature.

Human curiosity, online celebrity, praise, hate, and approval are all reasons why we post leaks online. There are lots of internet warm and fuzzy feelings you get being the first person to get the drop. Even if eighty forum members is your full reach, it's certainly something I can't blame someone for wanting to appease the hungry crowd. I feel like you're never going to be able to stop a leak, big or small. Whether we glorify it is an entirely different issue. At the end of the day, regardless of how much you want that poster that you knew was coming before everyone else, everyone has a fair shot at lining up for it at a convention.
summoner
Art Freak

Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:56 am

50% of the people crying about the leaks are just pissed that the secret/advantage they had is now gone, 30% are just following the majority with being upset about it, but behind the scenes they are making moves to aquire these if they were true, 10% really dislike it, but these people are < 2 months collecting, and the final 10% have no idea what really happened but are all in for the troll factor.

If anyone has any reliable info feel free to PM me in the future, I love good gossip.

Hope everyone enjoyed SDCC and see you all there next year!
Image Image Image
brndfrmd
Art Expert

Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:59 am

summoner wrote:50% of the people crying about the leaks are just pissed that the secret/advantage they had is now gone, 30% are just following the majority with being upset about it, but behind the scenes they are making moves to aquire these if they were true, 10% really dislike it, but these people are < 2 months collecting, and the final 10% have no idea what really happened but are all in for the troll factor.

If anyone has any reliable info feel free to PM me in the future, I love good gossip.

Hope everyone enjoyed SDCC and see you all there next year!
This, especially the PM me part.
Top ISO: John Waters Marathon 07 by Little Friends of Printmaking
binky79
Art Expert

Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:04 am

summoner wrote:50% of the people crying about the leaks are just pissed that the secret/advantage they had is now gone
What secret advantage are people getting from leaks?
skis007
Art Expert

Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:07 am

binky79 wrote:
summoner wrote:50% of the people crying about the leaks are just pissed that the secret/advantage they had is now gone
Insider info. There's no advantage but it makes them feel warm inside. "I know something you don't."
GiantBoyDective
Art Freak

Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:08 am

skis007 wrote:
binky79 wrote:
Insider info. There's no advantage but it makes them feel warm inside. "I know something you don't."
Jfwong wrote:
binky79 wrote:

Counterpoint

Human curiosity, online celebrity, praise, hate, and approval are all reasons why we post leaks online. There are lots of internet warm and fuzzy feelings you get being the first person to get the drop. Even if eighty forum members is your full reach, it's certainly something I can't blame someone for wanting to appease the hungry crowd. I feel like you're never going to be able to stop a leak, big or small. Whether we glorify it is an entirely different issue. At the end of the day, regardless of how much you want that poster that you knew was coming before everyone else, everyone has a fair shot at lining up for it at a convention.
not all of us are attention whores
Image #trollcru
danieldanger wrote:what you do aint hustlin. see, in MY hustle, i get to sell the whole run and each print only costs me like $6. y'alls is small potatoe street level fudge.