Mondotees/Alamo Poster News & Rumors thread

General art-related discussion.
ironjaiden
Art Expert

Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:30 pm

statik wrote:direct drive is better
Actually dude you're wrong in this case. Direct drive is great if you plan on using your turntable for DJing. For listening purposes belt drive is the way. The reason for this is with belt driven systems the motor exists away from the platter and creates much less noise / vibration in the platter. Beyond your mid-range DJ setups (Technics 1200) all high end turntables are belt driven.
Truth be told if you're listening to Black Flag records through your parents' shitty old Yamaha speakers or you wanna beat juggle your new Skrillex records it makes no difference, but if you're an audio nerd it matters.
johndv
Art Connoisseur

Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:32 pm

Wow.

Just wow.

Thanks for those pics. Awesome looking show.
dylansdad
Art Expert

Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:33 pm

I don't think there's a bad one in the bunch. That's saying something.
brewsky
Art Connoisseur

Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:35 pm

They all look excellent. Mars Attacks is my personal favorite. Also loving Doc Brown, Ash, the bride, and MacReady.
statik
Art Expert

Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:35 pm

ironjaiden wrote:
Actually dude you're wrong in this case. Direct drive is great if you plan on using your turntable for DJing. For listening purposes belt drive is the way. The reason for this is with belt driven systems the motor exists away from the platter and creates much less noise / vibration in the platter. Beyond your mid-range DJ setups (Technics 1200) all high end turntables are belt driven.
Truth be told if you're listening to Black Flag records through your parents' shitty old Yamaha speakers or you wanna beat juggle your new Skrillex records it makes no difference, but if you're an audio nerd it matters.
Audiophile, guilty and accounted for.

This topic comes up a lot and there's basically no clear answer. Some will argue they don't hear that audio feedback. I would be one of those. Maybe my system is high end enough for it to not matter. Maybe I blew out my hearing a long time ago? Too much punk rock vinyl and shitty house parties? Who knows. I like my twin babies and that's all that counts in the end to me.

Buy what you want. Hell I had a bitchin' Playskool turntable as a kid.
drymount your sig!
bdm105
Art Connoisseur

Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:43 pm

I honestly didn't see myself wanting to get portraits but now that i've seen them all...getting the man with no name and ash and making it look like they're about to have a face off... the quote "Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the gun" come into my mind. :clap: :clap:
ToolFanFromWayBack
Art Expert

Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:51 pm

statik wrote:The difference is that in a belt drive, a belt connects the motor to the spindle of the platter. in time the motors wear out and the belts start to slip. Along with when you try to slow down the platter it completely stops. The start speed is horrible.

Now with a direct drive the motor is connected directly to the spindle. In return start ups and breaking speed in Technics are .07 of a sec. you're able to slower the platter without it stopping or speeding up the platter. The response time when adjusting pitch in immediate. You just cant go wrong with the continuous quartz lock on the Technics.

Oh yeah and don't use shitty cartridges. There's a ton out there but honestly just go with Shure M44-7s. You won't need anything else.
Uh, what?
I need more. Nothing seems to satisfy. I don't want it. I just need it. To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive. - MJK
“People incapable of guilt usually have a good time.” - Rust Cohle
Presenting Codeblue's 30000th post -
Codeblue wrote:bump
sigma722
Art Connoisseur

Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:56 pm

ironjaiden wrote:
Sweet. I like the way the conversation is going and appreciate your input Jay. Rethinking that audio-technica on Amazon now...
ImageImage
mobius006
Art Freak

Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:56 pm

Christ are there pages of fighting over TT :roll:
mrwak
Art Connoisseur

Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:59 pm

GoreMetChef wrote:Whatever is leftover from the gallery (if anything). Also, Mike will have some APs for sale as well.
Wonderful, sir. I'm new at this game. I'll keep an eye on the thread.
finneganm wrote: Come see Al lien on Blurgday, Januanerrry 28nd! In spaces some people can smell you yelling.
sigma722
Art Connoisseur

Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:59 pm

mobius006 wrote:Christ are there pages of fighting over TT :roll:
It's like acid free backing for your mondo print. We just gotta get the best way to play the mondo vinyl figured out.
ImageImage
everydayasian
Art Enthusiast

Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:15 pm

It'd be cool to have the Driver and The Good face off on the wall. Two nameless protagonists of two great movies.
statik
Art Expert

Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:47 pm

You have a weird definition of fighting. Why can't a few adults have a simple disagreement? Agree to disagree. fudge, it's not rocket science.
drymount your sig!
afrosteeziac
Art Expert

Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:54 pm

statik wrote:
You have a weird definition of fighting. Why can't a few adults have a simple disagreement? Agree to disagree. fudge, it's not rocket science.
Agreed. Compared to some of the chatter that goes on in here the TT discussion is a breath of fresh air. Informative and even slightly on topic. At least more on topic than ponies and spiderman
Bickel

Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:09 pm

Belt drives are more susceptible to environmental issues...their platters have to be far lighter in order to be rotated with a belt, so they have more wobble. That means scratched records if you listen on a regular basis and live in places where there are regular tremors or earthquakes. If you live in a dry environment like Colorado, the belts are more likely to dry up and break sooner, and likely lose traction long before that, which leads to music not being played the way it was intended.

Those particular situations aside, I would agree with Jay on the quality of belt drives, but I doubt many people have the kind of setup in their house where they would actually hear the difference between a belt drive and a direct drive. I mean, if you mostly listen to music on your ipod, phone, or in your car, pretty much any turntable is going to sound great in comparison.