Mondotees/Alamo Poster News & Rumors thread

General art-related discussion.
mattg
Art Connoisseur

Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:00 am

RadRacing wrote:I thought Deadwood was awesome. I only watched Season 1 of 'Justified' but I thought it was really corny. Does it get better after Season 1?
SEASON 1 JUSTIFIED SPOILERS LOOK AWAY

in the original pilot Boyd was supposed to die but his character tested well so the brought him back once they aired the episodes they had already filmed. Subsequent seasons are fantastic.
summoner
Art Freak

Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:02 am

mattg wrote:
RadRacing wrote:I thought Deadwood was awesome. I only watched Season 1 of 'Justified' but I thought it was really corny. Does it get better after Season 1?

in the original pilot Boyd was supposed to die but his character tested well so the brought him back once they aired the episodes they had already filmed. Subsequent seasons are fantastic.
I loved how every other word was "rooster sucker" and "Swedgin". :lol:
Image Image Image
DickButt
Art Expert

Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:02 am

PrintNoob87 wrote:For sure - people get too caught up in the "I need that" attitude just because something is new and exclusive.
That's what you gotta remember. Don't rage-buy.
PrintNoob87
Art Expert

Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:03 am

mattg wrote:

This is the same case for Jesse on Breaking Bad (kind of). He was supposed to die in season 1 but Vince Gilligan liked Aaron Paul's portrayal so much that he couldn't do it. Great (and probably easy) decision.
DonPiano
Art Expert

Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:08 am

zombiedictator wrote:
DonPiano wrote:
zombiedictator wrote:
DickButt wrote: A word of advice - don't panic and trade away something immediately. Prices and perceived value are always highest immediately after these shows.
I think this is true for every single print over the past year+ except for Moss' Totoro variant. Literally every single print's price history trajectory is either a downward slope or a U.

Come to think of it, that would be kind of cool to see.
I'll keep that in mind. With the fact that we don't know what KT's going to have at the show there I may be holding onto the RD. If he throws out a print like Halloween though...

I'd also say that Ken Taylor's Halloween has been upwards - but that would also be due to the cost of it to begin with.
Funny you mention that because after I posted I thought "wait, Taylor's Halloween was another one". But yeah, point still stands that the odds are in your favor price-wise. I remember laughing my ass off when Struzan's Thing came out and people thought it was going to get them Stout Akira's and whatnot. Now you can't give the damn things away.
PrintNoob87 wrote:
DickButt wrote:
DonPiano wrote:Seriously hoping that I'll be able to trade my Reservoir Dogs Variant for something from Ken Taylor after the show... That line is getting looong.
A word of advice - don't panic and trade away something immediately. Prices and perceived value are always highest immediately after these shows.
Exactly. The fact that there are 170 people already in line tells you everything you need to know about being patient this weekend. A large portion of those people will be buying everything possible. A decent sized portion of those people probably can't afford to do so, so they will be looking to recoup monies immediately. This leads to mass undercutting. Sure, there might be a couple prints that remain reasonably expensive, depending on edition size. Don't run out this weekend to trade gems from from your collection or hand out hundreds of dollars on Ebay in a panic. Give it a week, then give it another week. Patience.
On top of that, give it time to see if you really want it. A friend of mine gave me that advice with tattoos. If you want it a year from when you first thought of it, then you should get it.

What works for me for all purchase decisions is I always ask myself "if someone came to the front door right now and offered me the item in question for free or the cash equivalent, what would I take"? If you ever want the cash more, then don't buy it whether it be a car, poster or an iPad.
Mmm, I'll keep that in mind for sure. I'm not interested in the Stout's, just the Taylor's, especially since they'll be signed. I stick by that theory with tattoo's too - hold the image with you for a while and decide if you really need it. I'm trying to cut down my ISO's and collection just to avoid having too much.

If someone came along and offered me the Taylor Beetlejuice though I'd decline. Not my thing. I really hope the shows not a disappointment too.
The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group

Hotdogs are not sandwiches.

Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.
cabernathy351
Art Connoisseur

Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:13 am

Hey I'f any is " giving away" a Struzan Thing, I'm a taker!
bdm105
Art Connoisseur

i agree with what you're saying but i like to keep my iso's list to be partly stuff id have in a world where im bill gates rich
zombiedictator
Art Expert

DonPiano wrote:If someone came along and offered me the Taylor Beetlejuice though I'd decline. Not my thing. I really hope the shows not a disappointment too.
I think the only way you could be disappointed in this show, assuming you like Stout and Taylor, is if they just don't do any movies you give a fudge about. That's my only concern. You're not going to see 15 Stout pieces and a dozen Taylors, so assuming you get 4 of each and we already know 2 of them, that's 6 pieces you might simply not give a fudge about.

To me, a poster has to be a movie I absolutely love with art I adore. I respect the fudge out of Taylor, Horkey, Ansin, etc, but Taylor has only done 1 movie I loved enough to buy and Horkey as well as Ansin haven't done any (well, Ansin has Taxi Driver that I'll be ISO soon).

That being said, I haven't really given a fudge about a Stout print in 2 years, and it took a while for Drive to grow on me enough to want it.
When stressed about getting a drop, just remember: it will decay into the same organic matter as inevitably as your rotting corpse no matter how much museum glass you put in front of it.
cabernathy351
Art Connoisseur

Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:15 am

Stout will have a hard time beating Avengers, or Captain America for me.
omgkitty
Art Expert

Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:16 am

zombiedictator wrote:
DonPiano wrote:If someone came along and offered me the Taylor Beetlejuice though I'd decline. Not my thing. I really hope the shows not a disappointment too.
I think the only way you could be disappointed in this show, assuming you like Stout and Taylor, is if they just don't do any movies you give a fudge about. That's my only concern. You're not going to see 15 Stout pieces and a dozen Taylors, so assuming you get 4 of each and we already know 2 of them, that's 6 pieces you might simply not give a fudge about.

To me, a poster has to be a movie I absolutely love with art I adore. I respect the fudge out of Taylor, Horkey, Ansin, etc, but Taylor has only done 1 movie I loved enough to buy and Horkey as well as Ansin haven't done any (well, Ansin has Taxi Driver that I'll be ISO soon).

That being said, I haven't really given a fudge about a Stout print in 2 years, and it took a while for Drive to grow on me enough to want it.
Exactly. I don't buy prints for films I don't give a fudge about.
dylansdad
Art Expert

Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:20 am

So far, I don't need Drive and I like but can live without the Beetlejuice variant. I bet my luck will be changing later tonight. I'm sure there's going to be at least one poster I'll feel the need to own.
zombiedictator
Art Expert

Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:21 am

dylansdad wrote:So far, I don't need Drive and I like but can live without the Beetlejuice variant. I bet my luck will be changing later tonight. I'm sure there's going to be at least one poster I'll feel the need to own.
One is better than the usual "FPAHFJOHFO:FHUOFHAO what do you mean everyone EEEEEVERRRYYYYYYYYYOJNENENENNENENEDiawgfaishfjoashfioas[hf" mentality you see far too regularly.
When stressed about getting a drop, just remember: it will decay into the same organic matter as inevitably as your rotting corpse no matter how much museum glass you put in front of it.
zombiedictator
Art Expert

Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:23 am

dylansdad
Art Expert

Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:25 am

My walls are pretty full. I'm learning to pass on a lot more stuff now that I'm a few years into this hobby. But if Stout or Taylor choose a movie that I love, I might treat myself and make a flipper's time in line worthwhile.
DonPiano
Art Expert

Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:27 am

I agree, I don't buy prints of movies I'm not interested in. And it makes it easier when prints of films I AM interested in aren't up to scratch - Stout's Drive, I like it, but it's no Taylor Drive for sure. Same goes with Taylor's Jurassic Park. I like the image, but not enough to own it.

Given the fact that it seems every second Taylor film print is for a film I like I think I'll be in with a chance. And the fact that he's bundled with Stout with this show gives me hope that the Stout prices will be high and the Taylor prices will be low. I don't know enough about Game of Thrones, but his print that just dropped last night is great.

But if Taylor did a Cabin in the Woods or Jaws, I'd blow a nut. Heck, if he did an ET - they don't have to get the likeness rights for ET himself do they? - that would be it for me.
The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group

Hotdogs are not sandwiches.

Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.