Mondotees/Alamo Poster News & Rumors thread

General art-related discussion.
tehhippy
Art Expert

Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:21 pm

Lots of volume, but a lot more diversification in style too. Look at the Drake prints or the Adventure Time series. Different audience than the OG Mondo poster crowd.
iambillyg
Art Freak

Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:28 pm

Stopped by the Gallery today to shoot some stuff. Didn't want to have to make a second trip tomorrow, so the guys were kind enough to let me pick this up today. Sorry no GID, but it's still pretty bright here.

MatchsMalone
Art Expert

Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:32 pm

iambillyg wrote:Stopped by the Gallery today to shoot some stuff. Didn't want to have to make a second trip tomorrow, so the guys were kind enough to let me pick this up today. Sorry no GID, but it's still pretty bright here.
That looks great, beautiful pics. Now I can't wait to get mine!
Because it's the print we deserve, but not the one we need right now. So we'll hunt it.

Let's not start sucking each other's dicks quite yet.
stebila25
Art Expert

Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:39 pm

@f_francavilla: This October get these 3 posters for a HOUSE OF HORROR! Here's a sneak peek at these ltd edition screen-prints. Pls RT pic.twitter.com/EhWBlxLF
BetterCallSaul
Art Expert

Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:46 pm

One of them is for the zombie show at Bottleneck:
Image[/quote]
Gkohler
Art Expert

Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:00 pm

ironjaiden wrote:I ,for one, really hate having a broad range of things to choose from. I think in 2013 Mondo should just release one poster with an edition of 3. That'd blow the market right up!
yes!
"We're growing mold, on the fruits of our labors"
Dfa
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:01 pm

http://schedule.sxsw.com/2012/events/event_FP990232

I think it was on this panel, but I seem to remember Justin mentioning that they're well aware of what happened to comics in the 90s and they don't want to do the same thing with their posters.
dearmrecho
Art Expert

Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:18 pm

Well the sheer amount has made me a lot more selective for sure. I've only been at "this thing" since April and already it feels to me like there's just more and more coming out. It's impossible to keep up so the easiest option has been to just let things I merely "like" go... it's actually been rather freeing. You can usually tell within a week or two after a print has been released if you 'really' want it - by that time either the initial 'craving' has gone or the print is available at a not too hideous price. Chill out time is here. :D

If I lived in Austin all that bollocks above would be out the window probably! :?

Anyway - just had shipping notice for my PB's BTTF prints. Billy, once again those shots are selling it better than the jpeg... quite looking forward to seeing them now.
mattg
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:39 pm

wompa164 wrote:The interesting thing is that Mo still has a business to run. As far as I can tell, all of these posters still sell out, but we all know that they are junk from a collector's standpoint. So, Mo is raking in the money but killing the market.
If you are going to call somebody out by name make sure you know what you are talking about, which you don't. Mo works there but I don't believe he makes business decisions on behalf of Mondo. If you want to call some folks out I believe Justin, Rob, and Mitch are the names you are looking for.
Darkknight37
Art Expert

Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:08 pm

The silver Looper is so damn shiny and awesome in person :drool: and Dredd is killer too, love the printing on that one!
iambillyg
Art Freak

Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:15 pm

mattg wrote:
wompa164 wrote:The interesting thing is that Mo still has a business to run. As far as I can tell, all of these posters still sell out, but we all know that they are junk from a collector's standpoint. So, Mo is raking in the money but killing the market.
If you are going to call somebody out by name make sure you know what you are talking about, which you don't. Mo works there but I don't believe he makes business decisions on behalf of Mondo. If you want to call some folks out I believe Justin, Rob, and Mitch are the names you are looking for.
stebila25
Art Expert

Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:24 pm

wompa164 wrote:
mattg wrote:
Ok, then those guys.
They are junk...?
jb518
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:27 pm

MastaMonk wrote:
CrustaR wrote:
MastaMonk wrote:Over 130 prints this year alone, 3 months left to go. That's around 14-15 per month. I guess we can expect another 45 prints before the end of the year...
Didn't Mondo release just one a week back in the day? Sometimes didn't they hold off for a week? I just don't recall so many prints being pushed out.
2012 - 175 (my prediction)
2011 - 154
2010 - 115
2009 - 67
2009 - 69
2007 - 30
What I'd be interested in seeing is the actual numbers of prints (all edition sizes added together) per year. I think you'll find the growth rate is much higher than 14%.
rubberneck
Art God

Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:30 pm

iambillyg wrote:Stopped by the Gallery today to shoot some stuff. Didn't want to have to make a second trip tomorrow, so the guys were kind enough to let me pick this up today. Sorry no GID, but it's still pretty bright here.
Tonka
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
Jon1701
Art Expert

Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:33 pm

Mondo have garnered more attention and have a larger fanbase. As such they can produce more things covering more topics. Its obviously a sound business strategy as they are offering something different to more people in terms of genres they're interested in. Its working as they still sell out this week.

Some call it a drop in quality, i call that bullshit. Mondo has always put out prints that rock or prints that miss the mark for some, just now they're pumping out more prints overall and a portion of those are themed differently to what the core base wants.

If you eliminate those prints rather than bitch about them you have a lower release number.

Simply put, you can't own every drymounting print anyway nor should you want to.its art. Its subjective. Dont like it, dont buy and let someone else have it who will.
“Encapsulate the spirit of melancholy. Easy. Boom, a sad desk. Boom, sad wall. It’s art. Anything is anything.”