Mondotees/Alamo Poster News & Rumors thread

General art-related discussion.
RomanMorales
Art Expert

Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:49 pm

theperfecttree wrote:
RomanMorales wrote:Now that I've had the time to really look at the 70mm film series list, am I the only one that is seriously disappointed? No Lawrence of Arabia. No 2001: A Space Odyssey. No Spartacus. Instead they are playing Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and Ghostbusters?! Both great films, no doubt, but they were both shot in 35mm. Why would we want to pay extra money to see a blow up of these 2 classic films on the same size screen? They could easily do a run of all 3 Imdy movies and we would be lined out the door. The same for an individual screening of Ghostbusters.

It's like doing an IMAX film series and doing nothing but films with shitty blow ups from digital or 35mm instead of films that have genuinely shot IMAX elements. Otherwise, what's the point.

Simply a way to woo our fan base without really providing anything of value to drive ticket and badge sales. I am not usually very cynical about the Alamo, but the screening of these 2 films as part of this series just feels disingenuous.

My $.02.
Good points, I guess they could have done more. In their defense the Paramount Theater has played Lawrence of Arabia in 70mm pretty much every summer for as long as I can remember. This summer they're doing 2001 & Spartacus in 70mm as part of the summer film series. It wouldn't make sense to show these movies at the Alamo just weeks after the Paramount.

http://www.austintheatre.org/site/PageS ... ilm_series
All true, but supposedly the screen is bigger at the Alamo. At least that's what the Alamo projectionists keep telling me. Also, Lawrence of Arabia just went through an 8k digital restoration. Couldn't think of a better time to put that new print through it's paces.
"Listen, the next revolution is gonna be a revolution of ideas." - Bill Hicks Image
theperfecttree
EB Team

Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:55 pm

RomanMorales wrote:
theperfecttree wrote:
RomanMorales wrote:Now that I've had the time to really look at the 70mm film series list, am I the only one that is seriously disappointed? No Lawrence of Arabia. No 2001: A Space Odyssey. No Spartacus. Instead they are playing Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and Ghostbusters?! Both great films, no doubt, but they were both shot in 35mm. Why would we want to pay extra money to see a blow up of these 2 classic films on the same size screen? They could easily do a run of all 3 Imdy movies and we would be lined out the door. The same for an individual screening of Ghostbusters.

It's like doing an IMAX film series and doing nothing but films with shitty blow ups from digital or 35mm instead of films that have genuinely shot IMAX elements. Otherwise, what's the point.

Simply a way to woo our fan base without really providing anything of value to drive ticket and badge sales. I am not usually very cynical about the Alamo, but the screening of these 2 films as part of this series just feels disingenuous.

My $.02.
Good points, I guess they could have done more. In their defense the Paramount Theater has played Lawrence of Arabia in 70mm pretty much every summer for as long as I can remember. This summer they're doing 2001 & Spartacus in 70mm as part of the summer film series. It wouldn't make sense to show these movies at the Alamo just weeks after the Paramount.

All true, but supposedly the screen is bigger at the Alamo. At least that's what the Alamo projectionists keep telling me. Also, Lawrence of Arabia just went through an 8k digital restoration. Couldn't think of a better time to put that new print through it's paces.
also the seats at the paramount are REALLY uncomfortable :D. I didn't know about the restoration of Lawrence of Arabia.. now I guess I'll have to see it again if someone will play it here!!
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:14 pm

The seats at The Paramount are a bit uncomfortable and they lack the Alamo's dining experience, but it's a grande historical theater and a beautiful place to watch a movie. So thrilled I got to see The Sting there this year. Haven't seen Lawrence of Arabia on the big screen and was hoping to catch it this year.

When I die I want to be buried somewhere like The Paramount.
DrScott44
Art Expert

Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:19 pm

theperfecttree wrote:
RomanMorales wrote:
theperfecttree wrote:

My $.02.

also the seats at the paramount are REALLY uncomfortable :D. I didn't know about the restoration of Lawrence of Arabia.. now I guess I'll have to see it again if someone will play it here!!
I gotta agree with Roman here: no 2001 and no Spartacus are insane omissions. And if you're gonna blow up Crusade, why no Indy trilogy? There's something going on here that just feels off...that said, my original comment stands: this oughtta lead somewhere interesting.

Also, I wanna get ThePerfectTree's back on the seats at the Paramount: historical/beautiful theater or not, it's hands down the least comfortable place to see a movie in Austin, much less a multi-hour epic like Lawrence of Arabia. I'd rather be at the friggin' Galaxy.
"I say we stomp 'im. Then we tattoo 'im. Then we hang 'im...and then we kill 'im!"

"I say we let 'im go."

"NO!!!"
RomanMorales
Art Expert

Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:37 pm

DrScott44 wrote:
theperfecttree wrote: also the seats at the paramount are REALLY uncomfortable :D. I didn't know about the restoration of Lawrence of Arabia.. now I guess I'll have to see it again if someone will play it here!!
I gotta agree with Roman here: no 2001 and no Spartacus are insane omissions. And if you're gonna blow up Crusade, why no Indy trilogy? There's something going on here that just feels off...that said, my original comment stands: this oughtta lead somewhere interesting.

Also, I wanna get ThePerfectTree's back on the seats at the Paramount: historical/beautiful theater or not, it's hands down the least comfortable place to see a movie in Austin, much less a multi-hour epic like Lawrence of Arabia. I'd rather be at the friggin' Galaxy.
I love the Paramount, but I agree with all of you. Heading out there right now to check out Seven Samurai, but I am not looking forward to being in those seats for 3 hours. With that being said, the ambiance in that theater is priceless for classic films ala The Sting, Lawrence of Arabia, Giant, Seven Samurai, etc.... It really is the kinda theater that calls for classic films to be seen there. Absolutely beautiful.
"Listen, the next revolution is gonna be a revolution of ideas." - Bill Hicks Image
IbisMummy
Art Connoisseur

Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:45 pm

RomanMorales wrote:
DrScott44 wrote:
theperfecttree wrote: also the seats at the paramount are REALLY uncomfortable :D. I didn't know about the restoration of Lawrence of Arabia.. now I guess I'll have to see it again if someone will play it here!!

I love the Paramount, but I agree with all of you. Heading out there right now to check out Seven Samurai, but I am not looking forward to being in those seats for 3 hours. With that being said, the ambiance in that theater is priceless for classic films ala The Sting, Lawrence of Arabia, Giant, Seven Samurai, etc.... It really is the kinda theater that calls for classic films to be seen there. Absolutely beautiful.
:lol: Yeah, I wanted to go to seven samurai last night... but the seats kept me away. Might do Sansho the Bailiff tonight (bit shorter, easier on the back), but first up, it's the inaugural edition of the Austin Sprocket Society for me.
ironjaiden: "...I have no idea how some of you dudes make it through the day, stressful as life is and all."
Frank Zappa: "Good night Austin, Texas, wherever you are."
IbisMummy
Art Connoisseur

Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:50 pm

And Blog, that red wall is just screaming to be painted orange... and then, when that Stout Akira clashes w/ the new burnt umber, I'll totally give it a good home for you :P ... Unfortunately, I can't think of a color that would make that Ansin wall not work... Really top notch and looking good.
ironjaiden: "...I have no idea how some of you dudes make it through the day, stressful as life is and all."
Frank Zappa: "Good night Austin, Texas, wherever you are."
isunktheship
Art Expert

Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:57 pm

This isn't a Mondo Rumor.. just something I'd like to see screened:
http://www.vulture.com/2012/08/bill-ted ... -film.html
Creation88 wrote:no top tier artists: no stout, no moss, no taylor, no horkey, no ansin
dylanosaur
Art Expert

Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:18 pm

isunktheship wrote:This isn't a Mondo Rumor.. just something I'd like to see screened:
http://www.vulture.com/2012/08/bill-ted ... -film.html
would be a travesty not to, but that's probably over a year and a half away. Not worth worrying about that anytime soon.
MalachiConstant
Art Expert

Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:51 pm

I'm really not too worried about the semi-disappointing first round of 70mm films (Baraka and The Master! :drool: ). It's not as though the projectors are on rental. If the drafthouse gives us Film Foundation in early summer and 70mm screenings in the late summer/early autumn, I'm going to one happy fella.
thisisjosh
Art Expert

Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:38 pm

thisisjosh wrote:
Bickel wrote:That Mars IS a great sketch; here's hoping there's something like that at G88/C4C next month...
ISO
http://www.fright-rags.com/

How about a shirt? Or a poster?
KSUvet
Art Expert

Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:09 am

I'm guessing Paranorman gets released this week. Maybe it's already been confirmed, and I forgot. I really think Mondo needs something bigger to relieve the "bad taste" from DKR.
"I see dudes using cotton gloves on prints that I know were printed while someone was drinking a beer or eating Cheetos, while water leaked from the ceiling. And I'm not even talking about my shop!" - alexfugazi
Gkohler
Art Expert

Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:26 am

Justin's been posting pictures of the Ghibli Museum.
"We're growing mold, on the fruits of our labors"
mattg
Art Connoisseur

Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:35 am

Gkohler wrote:Justin's been posting pictures of the Ghibli Museum.
Hopefully this means we will see Spirited Away soon.
Dfa
Art Connoisseur

Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:46 am

mattg wrote:
Gkohler wrote:Justin's been posting pictures of the Ghibli Museum.
Hopefully this means we will see Spirited Away soon.
I winder how long the license is. If it's only a year, they'll need to wrap it up in the next couple months.