Mondotees/Alamo Poster News & Rumors thread

General art-related discussion.
PrintNoob87
Art Expert

Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:55 am

daviddelgadoh wrote:
darkturkish wrote: Because its one of the most iconic movie posters from the poster god himself. That's the reason
...which you still have a chance at owning, because it didn't sell out.
Still don't see a reason here?
Obviously some people are more upset than others. Austin exclusives are perfectly cool with me. Living in Milwaukee, every gallery release excludes me so it's no big deal. The only thing I don't understand is letting people buy one of each - it's the same print, nobody is hanging both of them on their wall. Again, it doesn't bother me but it just doesn't compute - that's all.
DrScott44
Art Expert

Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:56 am

RottenAtom wrote: Hung out with all the regular folks in line. Lots of camaraderie and good vibes goin' on. I debuted my beard. The sun was tearing me up, should have hit up the fan lady when I had the chance. Jamba Juice was drank...

Other notes: Everybody I know bought the limit and there was a shitload of poster buddying going on. Dozens of worthy members got the hookup yesterday... However, more parents and elderly folks in line as poster mules than usual... There is a fine line between the way regular people and homeless people dress in Austin. I am often confused... I remember when I was the only one reviewing these things. Sorry for rehashing what's already been said.
Was a pleasure meeting you-- and all the other EB'ers I'd not had a chance to meet before-- yesterday. Everyone was so friendly and eager-to-help in line, it really made me feel solid about the upcoming pre-MMMX shindig. Of course, I don't think anyone standing in line was drunk, but if everyone's even half as hospitable and badass at my place as they were on 6th Street yesterday, we can probably make it through the BBQ with only one or two casualties.

Working on the writeup for Collider.com now: if you have pictures from the line that you'd like included in the article, please send me a PM so we can get that cooking.
"I say we stomp 'im. Then we tattoo 'im. Then we hang 'im...and then we kill 'im!"

"I say we let 'im go."

"NO!!!"
SaintNoir
Art Expert

Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:58 am

PrintNoob87 wrote:Obviously some people are more upset than others. Austin exclusives are perfectly cool with me. Living in Milwaukee, every gallery release excludes me so it's no big deal. The only thing I don't understand is letting people buy one of each - it's the same print, nobody is hanging both of them on their wall. Again, it doesn't bother me but it just doesn't compute - that's all.
To be fair... there is a TON of PBing that goes on (yes, flipping too). There are a lot of upstanding folks who PB for people who live outside of Austin. :P
Inigo Montoya: You seem a decent fellow. I hate to kill you.
Westley: You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.
PrintNoob87
Art Expert

Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:01 pm

SaintNoir wrote:
PrintNoob87 wrote:Obviously some people are more upset than others. Austin exclusives are perfectly cool with me. Living in Milwaukee, every gallery release excludes me so it's no big deal. The only thing I don't understand is letting people buy one of each - it's the same print, nobody is hanging both of them on their wall. Again, it doesn't bother me but it just doesn't compute - that's all.
To be fair... there is a TON of PBing that goes on (yes, flipping too). There are a lot of upstanding folks who PB for people who live outside of Austin. :P
I get that too and that's really nice of those dudes down there. It's kind of hard for me to ask someone to do something like that for me, when I know all I can really offer them is help with an online drop.
zombiedictator
Art Expert

Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:02 pm

1 6/14/2012 AB-44XXX $27.00 New View order (Beyond LP for myself)

2 5/24/2012 AB-42XXX $64.00 Shipped View order (13 Assassins white sold in hookup thread here)

3 2/15/2012 AB-34XXX $54.00 Shipped View order (300 sold at cost in Facebook group)

4 2/2/2012 AB-34XXX $59.00 Shipped View order (Drive PB, museum framed as gift in Facebook group)

5 1/19/2012 AB-33XXX $104.00 Shipped View order (Tron set PB in Facebook group)
That is all my Mondo online purchases for the entire year.

I just want to...contextualize things for the people that feel like Sally Struthers should be paying them a visit for the horrific suffering they have to endure for missing <latest drop here>.

EDIT: For the sake of full disclosure, the things I got for myself were all from Mondo events: Salon Kitty from IronJaiden's show, Iron Giant, Adventure Time treehouse variant. But I guess my point is that if you stop focusing so much on every print you have GOT to have and focused more on what other people want, generally speaking karma will come back to you. I somehow doubt you'll have people volunteering to PB for you if all they see if "drymounted ON THIS POSTER AGAIN drymounting MONDO"
Last edited by zombiedictator on Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
When stressed about getting a drop, just remember: it will decay into the same organic matter as inevitably as your rotting corpse no matter how much museum glass you put in front of it.
darkturkish
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:06 pm

daviddelgadoh wrote:
darkturkish wrote: Because its one of the most iconic movie posters from the poster god himself. That's the reason
...which you still have a chance at owning, because it didn't sell out.
Still don't see a reason here?
The way it sounded before the screening (we are not keeping any for an online sale of they sell out here) and then the way things sounded last by the tweet (variant is sold out, a few regulars left) doesn't sound like too good of chances to me. Im just mainly puzzled why there wasn't a one person limit. Really, that's the only thing.
Just a dude collecting paper
jal9000
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:11 pm

S.O.S
Is there anybody in the D/FW area that has any extra Yazoo tubes that I might be able to pick, I'll be happy to pay something for them but those darn Struzan prints are just a tad to big for some of the tubes I have. I really need to find two and just so we're all clear I'm not flipping but pulled PB duty. I was able to help 4 outstanding EB members. Please PM me if you're from the Dallas area and I'll be happy to meet you where ever is convenient for you.
kryptonite
Art Expert

Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:13 pm

jal9000 wrote:S.O.S
Is there anybody in the D/FW area that has any extra Yazoo tubes that I might be able to pick, I'll be happy to pay something for them but those darn Struzan prints are just a tad to big for some of the tubes I have. I really need to find two and just so we're all clear I'm not flipping but pulled PB duty. I was able to help 4 outstanding EB members. Please PM me if you're from the Dallas area and I'll be happy to meet you where ever is convenient for you.
^Nicest PB eva. Help a brotha out! :)
fallenangel1
Art Expert

Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:18 pm

fallenangel1 wrote:
RottenAtom wrote: Other notes: Everybody I know bought the limit and there was a shitload of poster buddying going on. Dozens of worthy members got the hookup yesterday...
Where do I sign up to be a "worthy member" ?? ;)
jal9000 wrote: I was able to help 4 outstanding EB members.
First I want to say you rock for being an awesome PB!! :notworthy: :pint: :pint: :notworthy:

Now I seriously want to know where this list of worthy/outstanding EB members is and how I can get on it.

All of this talk of these worthy/outstanding members makes me feel like Im some tool that isnt worthy of any hookups. :'(
Buy and sell pop-culture items!
https://GetKulture.com/
iambillyg
Art Freak

Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:20 pm

fallenangel1 wrote:
Now I seriously want to know where this list of worthy/outstanding EB members is and how I can get on it.

All of this talk of these worthy/outstanding members makes me feel like Im some tool that isnt worthy of any hookups. :'(
I think we all have our own personal lists of who we think are "worthy" and "not so worthy". (Not insinuating that you aren't worthy.)
rubberneck
Art God

Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:21 pm

Actions speak louder than words...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
chisoxfan2424
Art Expert

Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:23 pm

not-worthy.jpg
rmoore wrote:Can't trust someone that doesn't like Jurassic Park...
fallenangel1
Art Expert

Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:24 pm

iambillyg wrote:
fallenangel1 wrote:

I think we all have our own personal lists of who we think are "worthy" and "not so worthy". (Not insinuating that you aren't worthy.)
I get what youre insinuating there!! And here I was considering pullin my SW set off the wall for you!! ;)
rubberneck wrote:Actions speak louder than words...
And what are you insinuating by this comment ???
Buy and sell pop-culture items!
https://GetKulture.com/
DrScott44
Art Expert

Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:25 pm

iambillyg wrote:
fallenangel1 wrote:

The guys I helped out on this one were all people I'd not hooked up as a PB before (that I can recall, anyway). Just kinda happened that way.

They asked, I helped. Or, in one case, I also secured tickets for the dude (via a wildly lucky ISO thread that I started...and never expected to pay off).

FallenAngel, hit me up next time there's something going on, and if it's one I can help on (sometimes I can, sometimes I can't), you'll get first dibs.
"I say we stomp 'im. Then we tattoo 'im. Then we hang 'im...and then we kill 'im!"

"I say we let 'im go."

"NO!!!"
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:27 pm

DrScott44 wrote:
RottenAtom wrote: Hung out with all the regular folks in line. Lots of camaraderie and good vibes goin' on. I debuted my beard. The sun was tearing me up, should have hit up the fan lady when I had the chance. Jamba Juice was drank...

Other notes: Everybody I know bought the limit and there was a shitload of poster buddying going on. Dozens of worthy members got the hookup yesterday... However, more parents and elderly folks in line as poster mules than usual... There is a fine line between the way regular people and homeless people dress in Austin. I am often confused... I remember when I was the only one reviewing these things. Sorry for rehashing what's already been said.
Was a pleasure meeting you-- and all the other EB'ers I'd not had a chance to meet before-- yesterday. Everyone was so friendly and eager-to-help in line, it really made me feel solid about the upcoming pre-MMMX shindig. Of course, I don't think anyone standing in line was drunk, but if everyone's even half as hospitable and badass at my place as they were on 6th Street yesterday, we can probably make it through the BBQ with only one or two casualties.
Looking forward to MMMX and the pre-party-print swap-blacklight-orgy-extravaganza :pint: