Mondotees/Alamo Poster News & Rumors thread

General art-related discussion.
biscocrack420
Art Expert

Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:24 am

meh. Its just a piece of paper that is no where near as epic as his Frankenstein. On that note I still would like to own a regular.
PaintByNumbers
Art Expert

Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:25 am

chisoxfan2424 wrote:Mondo has and always will have local screening. Nothing we can do about it, they like to reward the people who have been with them from the beginning prolly. Austin peeps will always have access to Mondo more then the rest of the country, its just the way it is.
That makes sense, just something I've learned to deal with. The general public selling though is new right? That I'm not as keen about because I don't think that's their fan base as much.
If you would like to help those affected by the tragedy in Boston, please donate here : http://onefundboston.org/

'I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum. '
darkturkish
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:27 am

chisoxfan2424 wrote:Mondo has and always will have local screening. Nothing we can do about it, they like to reward the people who have been with them from the beginning prolly. Austin peeps will always have access to Mondo more then the rest of the country, its just the way it is.
And would it be so bad that they could only buy one poster each? Aren't they still being rewarded? I don't think people are mad that ticket holders got a chance to buy this amazing poster, I feel most people are frustrated at the two per person and any random Joe on the street could come up and buy one. It just seems unfair to me that they would do it with this print in particular. I'd be curious to hear from the Mondo people why they did not enforce the one person as they did with Stout's avengers.
Just a dude collecting paper
dasponyboy
Art Expert

Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:27 am

We need to talk Kirby from Rotofugi into focusing on prints!
fallenangel1
Art Expert

Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:28 am

chisoxfan2424 wrote: ... they like to reward the people who have been with them from the beginning....
HAHAHA .. Thats funny .. Mondo has done nothing to reward anyone thats been a long time buyer, either from Austin or not. No offense to you .. I know what you were trying to say with your post and the intentions were probably accurate but that statement made me scoff out loud.
Buy and sell pop-culture items!
https://GetKulture.com/
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:30 am

At work, tired as fudge. Had a blast yesterday. Was nice to see everybody :pint:

Started off at Cracker Barrel with eggs in the basket (eggs cooked right in the toast) and multiple orders of hashbrown casserole (best fudge ever!) Was still full when we got to Austin so Home Slice had to wait 'til after the screening.

Hung out with all the regular folks in line. Lots of camaraderie and good vibes goin' on. I debuted my beard. The sun was tearing me up, should have hit up the fan lady when I had the chance. Jamba Juice was drank.

The Mondo crew was organized and everything ran smoothly. Nice and orderly. No fear of line jumpers or anything like that. Mo carefully rolled and tubed prints and the Struzan was given the respect it deserves.

I was told Iron Cactus was overpriced, but we gave it a shot anyways and I was pleasantly surprised. Happy hour deals galore and the lobster tacos, queso and mojitos really hit the spot. Made it back to the Ritz just in time to grab the last couple of good seats (thank you Rainbolt!)

Scott Weinburg gave a worthy introduction. I'm not a big Carpenter fan, but this is the way to see the film. The crowd wasn't as rowdy as I would have thought, but it was fun. Still, no Blade Runner :wink:

Biggest disappointment was the fried oreos. Like an odd mix of oreos and chicken nuggets, it was dry and flavorless. Should have got the salted caramel shake instead.

Home Slice was the bomb (of course!)
Made it home late (or early) and spent some time oggling the prints. They're amazing in person! :clap: :notworthy:

Other notes: Everybody I know bought the limit and there was a shitload of poster buddying going on. Dozens of worthy members got the hookup yesterday... However, more parents and elderly folks in line as poster mules than usual... There is a fine line between the way regular people and homeless people dress in Austin. I am often confused... I remember when I was the only one reviewing these things. Sorry for rehashing what's already been said.

All in all, a fun experience and excellent way to spend the day :pint:
Last edited by RottenAtom on Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
SergeantD
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:30 am

darkturkish wrote:
daviddelgadoh wrote:
KSUvet wrote:you really don't see why this setup would be disappointing for the rest of us? Really?
Oh yeah its totally disappointing.
But so is every other gallery opening / event for people that don't live there - but I don't see the same amount of like... weird hate in those threads. /shrug
Because its one of the most iconic movie posters from the poster god himself. That's the reason
This is how I feel about it. With gallery stuff/MMM/SDCC exclusives, that's fine, I don't have a problem with that. The problem is when you release something so iconic by someone like Struzan and you don't get a chance/much less of a chance if there were any left for online sales.

I grew up in the 80s with his stuff being used on so many great films so they're kind of part of my childhood as those films are.

Anyway, hoping for some luck with what goes up online.
darkturkish
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:32 am

Thanks for the write up. Sounds like a fun day!
Last edited by darkturkish on Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just a dude collecting paper
summoner
Art Freak

Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:33 am

This is how I imagine Mo and Justin after reading about people NOT in Austin wanting to get ahold of one of these prints for anything less than a kidney...

Image Image Image
fallenangel1
Art Expert

Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:34 am

RottenAtom wrote: Other notes: Everybody I know bought the limit and there was a shitload of poster buddying going on. Dozens of worthy members got the hookup yesterday...
Where do I sign up to be a "worthy member" ?? ;)
Buy and sell pop-culture items!
https://GetKulture.com/
FlapJack
Art Expert

Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:35 am

RottenAtom wrote:There is a fine line between the way regular people and homeless people dress in Austin.
:)
Jon1701
Art Expert

Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:36 am

FlapJack wrote:
RottenAtom wrote:There is a fine line between the way regular people and homeless people dress in Austin.
:)
:roll:
“Encapsulate the spirit of melancholy. Easy. Boom, a sad desk. Boom, sad wall. It’s art. Anything is anything.”
summoner
Art Freak

Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:36 am

Congrats Justin and Mo on the 162.5K payday! :clap:
Image Image Image
daviddelgadoh
Art Expert

Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:51 am

darkturkish wrote: Because its one of the most iconic movie posters from the poster god himself. That's the reason
...which you still have a chance at owning, because it didn't sell out.
Still don't see a reason here?
SaintNoir
Art Expert

Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:51 am

daviddelgadoh wrote:
darkturkish wrote: Because its one of the most iconic movie posters from the poster god himself. That's the reason
...which you still have a chance at owning, because it didn't sell out.
Still don't see a reason here?
Yeah. And if you HAVE to have a Thing poster... reprint of the one sheet is about 10 bucks. Boom. :P
Inigo Montoya: You seem a decent fellow. I hate to kill you.
Westley: You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.