Mondotees/Alamo Poster News & Rumors thread

General art-related discussion.
celloman85
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:44 am

SaintNoir
Art Expert

Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:46 am

As I sent in a PM... just to help people with framing...

I started thinking about it... saw the prints... and saw that D&Ls maximum image size is 24x36 with a max paper size of 26 x 38 (convenient, no?). So, the image is 24 x 36... and depending on where your sig is you may have to go an extra half inch length wise compared to a 24 x 36 print... but generally everything will be the same size wise.
Inigo Montoya: You seem a decent fellow. I hate to kill you.
Westley: You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.
fallenangel1
Art Expert

Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:52 am

SaintNoir wrote:As I sent in a PM... just to help people with framing...

I started thinking about it... saw the prints... and saw that D&Ls maximum image size is 24x36 with a max paper size of 26 x 38 (convenient, no?). So, the image is 24 x 36... and depending on where your sig is you may have to go an extra half inch length wise compared to a 24 x 36 print... but generally everything will be the same size wise.
I feel really stupid because I feel confused by that post. :oops:

Will someone draw me a picture ? :)
Buy and sell pop-culture items!
https://GetKulture.com/
SaintNoir
Art Expert

Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:55 am

fallenangel1 wrote:

The image size for Thing is 24 x 36 with a border around it (making the paper size 26x38). So you can mat in to the 24x36 image (maybe extra space for signature) and your overall frame up with mats will be the same as a 24x36 print (for the most part). So, if you frame 24x36s with mats... your Thing will take up about as much wallspace as those.
Last edited by SaintNoir on Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
DrScott44
Art Expert

Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:56 am

When Frank The Tank was here picking up mine, he measured and found that the THING is actually 26x38...and 1/8th.

Just FYI, Slappies.
"I say we stomp 'im. Then we tattoo 'im. Then we hang 'im...and then we kill 'im!"

"I say we let 'im go."

"NO!!!"
KSUvet
Art Expert

Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:57 am

daviddelgadoh wrote:Why is it that with Mondo only, so many people feel entitled to owning every print they release? I don't really see this with any other company.
It's like if G1988 sells out of an edition at a gallery opening, people say "oh well, that's how it works." But with Mondo, it's a fudge ton of butthurt (when it didn't even sell out).
Hoping to see everyone as up in arms when SDCC comes around.

Stood in line for like 4 hours so someone I've never even met could get a variant for cost. But please - keep complaining! It makes us want to help y'all out even more.

Anyhow, fun event. Can't wait to send this print off to Peacedog.
If it makes you feel better, I feel the same way about all the gallery-exclusives :). I can't be zig-zagging across the country chasing Horkey over here, and Ansin/Taylor over there, and Struzan over here. The only thing I'd like to be "entitled" to is a fair shot, and that doesn't mean maybe fighting for leftover scraps. Of course it's not required, but it goes more towards making out-of-town fans feel less like second class. I'll still be here like a sucker, waiting and sharpening my stick. Mondo went from a one-per-person rule for a much larger edition of the Avengers, and then switched to a two-per-person rule, including non-ticket-holders, for this. This isn't something like Rumplestiltskin that's going to sit around; it's a classic image by a legendary movie poster artist. The fact that they (maybe) didn't sell out at the show is irrelevant, because that was clearly the goal if the entire run was there. I'm glad you did a good deed for someone, but you really don't see why this setup would be disappointing for the rest of us? Really?

"I see dudes using cotton gloves on prints that I know were printed while someone was drinking a beer or eating Cheetos, while water leaked from the ceiling. And I'm not even talking about my shop!" - alexfugazi
fallenangel1
Art Expert

Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:01 am

SaintNoir wrote:
fallenangel1 wrote:

The image size for Thing is 24 x 36 with a border around it (making the paper size 26x38). So you can mat in to the 24x36 image (maybe extra space for signature) and your overall frame up with mats will be the same as a 24x36 print (for the most part). So, if you frame 24x36s with mats... your Thing will take upabout as much wallspace as those.
m prolly just not reading this right .. But what Im seeing is, youre saying since the image is 24x36 this will fit in a 24x36 frame with a matte to cover the border .. But then Im thinking thats silly because it doesnt matter what the image size is only the paper (unless you trim) .. So the frame HAS to be at least 26x38 .. with a 2" matte that would block out most of the border .. and make the viewable image ~24x36 .. But the overall size will still be ~26x38 .. which as you said is "about the same size wise" as a 24x36 frame.
fallenangel1
Art Expert

Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:04 am

KSUvet wrote: If it makes you feel better, I feel the same way about all the gallery-exclusives :). I can't be zig-zagging across the country chasing Horkey over here, and Ansin/Taylor over there, and Struzan over here. The only thing I'd like to be "entitled" to is a fair shot, and that doesn't mean maybe fighting for leftover scraps. Of course it's not required, but it goes more towards making out-of-town fans feel less like second class. I'll still be here like a sucker, waiting and sharpening my stick. Mondo went from a one-per-person rule for a much larger edition of the Avengers, and then switched to a two-per-person rule, including non-ticket-holders, for this. This isn't something like Rumplestiltskin that's going to sit around; it's a classic image by a legendary movie poster artist. The fact that they (maybe) didn't sell out at the show is irrelevant, because that was clearly the goal if the entire run was there. I'm glad you did a good deed for someone, but you really don't see why this setup would be disappointing for the rest of us? Really?
And the proof is in the pudding as they say .. Just pull up the trades here on EB and see how many long time posters have both copies listed for trades .. (Not hating just a lil jealous, If I had been there Id prolly have done the same thing!) But these actions are exactly why Mondo should limit the sales to one of each .. People like us .. me included will want to take advantage even if its just to pick up trade bait for an older Mondo print.
SaintNoir
Art Expert

Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:05 am

If you frame a 24x36 WITH mats... the frame is bigger than 24x36 too... so yeah, the frame will be bigger than 24x36. But the overall wallspace will be about the same. For example... I tend to do 2 inches of mat on all sides on my 24x36s. Making them... 28x40... this same set up should work with the Thing. Making mine (for example) 28x40... despite the larger paper size. I will still have 2 inches on all sides too.

I don't "get" framing without mats for the most part. So I never do and will never speak to that... I will never have a 24x36 poster in a 24x36 frame (as far as custom jobs go).
fallenangel1
Art Expert

Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:11 am

SaintNoir wrote:If you frame a 24x36 WITH mats... the frame is bigger than 24x36 too... so yeah, the frame will be bigger than 24x36. But the overall wallspace will be about the same. For example... I tend to do 2 inches of mat on all sides on my 24x36s. Making them... 28x40... this same set up should work with the Thing. Making mine (for example) 28x40... despite the larger paper size. I will still have 2 inches on all sides too.

I don't "get" framing without mats for the most part. So I never do and will never speak to that... I will never have a 24x36 poster in a 24x36 frame (as far as custom jobs go).
OK, my confusion came in because when I refer to a frame I use the frame size not the viewable area. You were saying 24x36 with mattes .. meaning its bigger than that but the viewable area is 24x36. Id have said its a 26x38 frame .. and anyone thats done any framing should know that a matte can be inserted to make it have any size viewable as you want. Just a difference in how we say things is all that was ;)
daviddelgadoh
Art Expert

Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:13 am

KSUvet wrote:you really don't see why this setup would be disappointing for the rest of us? Really?
Oh yeah its totally disappointing.
But so is every other gallery opening / event for people that don't live there - but I don't see the same amount of like... weird hate in those threads. /shrug
Kramerica
Art Freak

Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:15 am

Who is to say that the majority of the online sales won't just go to flippers who will put them on ebay? Isn't this what happens for pretty much every drop anyway? The print was for an event so naturally the people with tickets for the event get first crack and are allowed to buy both if they want restricting them would just be bad business practices. Selling to the general public allows them to first support their direct community, they are an Austin based group after all. They still have regs for an online drop so what are people complaining about? If they didn't let people with tickets buy the variant so that some random folks online could that would be more of a bs move on their part than selling them all to people who are actually attending the event.
Last edited by Kramerica on Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
darkturkish
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:18 am

daviddelgadoh wrote:
KSUvet wrote:you really don't see why this setup would be disappointing for the rest of us? Really?
But so is every other gallery opening / event for people that don't live there - but I don't see the same amount of like... weird hate in those threads. /shrug
Because its one of the most iconic movie posters from the poster god himself. That's the reason
Just a dude collecting paper
zombiedictator
Art Expert

Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:21 am

daviddelgadoh wrote:
If Mondo lets people double-dip, they're accused of being unfair letting people take advantage of flipping.

If Mondo sells an event at a specific event and they sell out, they're bitched at for not holding anything back for an online drop.

People wouldn't be so uppity about flipping and missed prints if they stopped buying ISO every Goddamn print ever made. There is a level of compulsiveness in this hobby that deserves its own show on A&E right after Hoarders but before Intervention.
When stressed about getting a drop, just remember: it will decay into the same organic matter as inevitably as your rotting corpse no matter how much museum glass you put in front of it.
chisoxfan2424
Art Expert

Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:22 am

Mondo has and always will have local screening. Nothing we can do about it, they like to reward the people who have been with them from the beginning prolly. Austin peeps will always have access to Mondo more then the rest of the country, its just the way it is.
rmoore wrote:Can't trust someone that doesn't like Jurassic Park...