Mondotees/Alamo Poster News & Rumors thread

General art-related discussion.
choke
Art Expert

Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:21 am

Damn, some people like it and are willing to spend the money.

Other people don't like it and think it's a lame cash grab

WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO ABOUT THIS DISAGREEMENT? :cry:
statik
Art Expert

Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:29 am

choke wrote:Damn, some people like it and are willing to spend the money.

Other people don't like it and think it's a lame cash grab

WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO ABOUT THIS DISAGREEMENT? :cry:
Smash things, drink, and drymount.

In any order you prefer.
drymount your sig!
Marty85
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:52 am

has anyone received a shipping notice for The Beyond vinyl?
darkturkish
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:54 am

FlapJack wrote:You would think set some aside for an online customers ... especially since they printed more than needed for the original '82 screenings. Otherwise, that would seem to be a solid kick to the nuts of the online customer base that has made Mondo what it is and allows them to do such ventures.
Agree completely. I wish they stuck to the one poster per customer like the Stout Avenger sale. It makes sense. I don't know why they wouldn't do the same for a release as high profile as this with even fewer copies. Oh well
Just a dude collecting paper
dylansdad
Art Expert

Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:06 am

Pineapple007 wrote:Hey guys, what did I miss the last 3 days :lol:
I went to Disneyland. It was fun.
aivc
Art Expert

Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:21 am

Marty85 wrote:has anyone received a shipping notice for The Beyond vinyl?
Not yet.
aibohphobia wrote:Maybe, but either way you get some cred for joining on 4-20 at 4:20. Nexus of the Universe.
qtully
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:47 am

i'd like to see what olly moss could do with the back to the future trilogy.
zombiedictator
Art Expert

Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:57 am

You gotta give it to Struzan. This dude is the top paid Mondo artist by an ENORMOUS margin and is doing basically nothing to get it.
When stressed about getting a drop, just remember: it will decay into the same organic matter as inevitably as your rotting corpse no matter how much museum glass you put in front of it.
rubberneck
Art God

Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:02 am

zombiedictator wrote:You gotta give it to Struzan. This dude is the top paid Mondo artist by an ENORMOUS margin and is doing basically nothing to get it.
He's earned his dues...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
zombiedictator
Art Expert

Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:05 am

rubberneck wrote:
zombiedictator wrote:You gotta give it to Struzan. This dude is the top paid Mondo artist by an ENORMOUS margin and is doing basically nothing to get it.
He's earned his dues...
I don't deny that. I'm just saying he basically had no work to do except sign a bunch of prints, and he's probably making multiple times what Moss, Stout, Ansin, or any other top-tier Mondo artist makes.
When stressed about getting a drop, just remember: it will decay into the same organic matter as inevitably as your rotting corpse no matter how much museum glass you put in front of it.
afrosteeziac
Art Expert

Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:44 am

zombiedictator wrote:
rubberneck wrote:
He's earned his dues...
I don't deny that. I'm just saying he basically had no work to do except sign a bunch of prints, and he's probably making multiple times what Moss, Stout, Ansin, or any other top-tier Mondo artist makes.
I see where you are coming from, but to say he had "no work to do except sign a bunch of prints" is a little off. Even though the image was done years ago, he still did it. He's put in his work, and now Mondo has given fans of his to have a chance to own a great representation of one of his most iconic images. I don't neccesarily see where all the hate(might be the wrong word I'm looking for) is coming from.
cutterbutter
Art Expert

Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:10 am

Struzan releases are like a time capsule in Mondo world. Wait 30 years and use what was put away in a new way.
PrintNoob87
Art Expert

Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:16 am

I have an honest question because I'm an idiot that knows nothing about the process - what does Drew actually have to do in regards to getting this print made? Does he need to re-draw the image or do they just use the exact original image and have someone else do the color separations?
Bickel

Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:18 am

PrintNoob87 wrote:I have an honest question because I'm an idiot that knows nothing about the process - what does Drew actually have to do in regards to getting this print made? Does he need to re-draw the image or do they just use the exact original image and have someone else do the color separations?
Looks like they use the original image from his original canvas, and then separate the colors for screenprinting. But, he had to paint it first. So, he may not have done anything lately, but he definitely did the work 30+ years ago.
Awesome
Art Expert

Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:22 am

If Mondo and Struzan can make money off of something like this then good for them, they know that their fanbase will buy anything with his name attached to it so they really didn't have to do much work on this print.