Mondotees/Alamo Poster News & Rumors thread

General art-related discussion.
MastaMonk
Art Expert

Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:33 pm

Okay everyone, if you feel the need to bitch about Mondo, you now have a home.
http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... 32&t=66821
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Jon1701
Art Expert

Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:33 pm

tpeazy wrote: Sounds like a reel change focus adjustment rather than the print itself. If the print was optically off, it would affect the whole reel.
Was it a newer print. Much dirt, scratching?
Sorry, I'm a telecine colorist, so I nerd out on stuff like this.

Didn't look new/cleaned in any way but Didn't notice any scratching or dirt to be honest. Reel change may make sense as it was about halfway thru and to me seemed to persist till the end.
“Encapsulate the spirit of melancholy. Easy. Boom, a sad desk. Boom, sad wall. It’s art. Anything is anything.”
MalachiConstant
Art Expert

Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:34 pm

tpeazy wrote:
Sounds like a reel change focus adjustment rather than the print itself. If the print was optically off, it would affect the whole reel.
It wasn't advertised as a new print, and didn't look it, though still beautiful.
bannister
Art Connoisseur

Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:35 pm

pewter14 wrote:
bannister wrote:Only Kill Bill. :lol: It seems you guys have been getting crazy flack longer than that. :lol:
Yeah, but it's only recently where it's been bad enough for both Justin and Mitch to post openly how disenchanted they are with the post event response. Just really bummed this labor of love is apparaently becoming a labor of annoyance for them.

They're not Amazon, they don't have an endless supply of people and resources at their disposal to make sure every damn person, local or online, is 100% satisfied.
They do their best, I have never been disappointed with Mondo/Alamo and I know I'm not alone.

I'm just going to keep posting this ... hoping all the people that missed out take a deep breath and soak it in.
pewter14 wrote: Once people realize ...

1) You cannot have every poster.
2) You do not need every poster.
3) There is always another poster.

... this hobby will become a lot more enjoyable. It's quite cathartic once you accept these truths.
I totally agree that they do their best. I have told people in the past who have complained that this isn't some huge operation. It is a small shop in the corner of a movie theatre. The first time I actually picked up a movie poster in store, I was amazed at how small the shop is given how much stuff they sell.
tpeazy
Art Connoisseur

Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:35 pm

MalachiConstant wrote:
tpeazy wrote:
Sounds like a reel change focus adjustment rather than the print itself. If the print was optically off, it would affect the whole reel.
It wasn't advertised as a new print, and didn't look it, though still beautiful.
Thanks for the info guys.
zombiedictator
Art Expert

Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:41 pm

pewter14 wrote:
bannister wrote:Only Kill Bill. :lol: It seems you guys have been getting crazy flack longer than that. :lol:
Yeah, but it's only recently where it's been bad enough for both Justin and Mitch to post openly how disenchanted they are with the post event response. Just really bummed this labor of love is apparaently becoming a labor of annoyance for them.

They're not Amazon, they don't have an endless supply of people and resources at their disposal to make sure every damn person, local or online, is 100% satisfied.
They do their best, I have never been disappointed with Mondo/Alamo and I know I'm not alone.

I'm just going to keep posting this ... hoping all the people that missed out take a deep breath and soak it in.

... this hobby will become a lot more enjoyable. It's quite cathartic once you accept these truths.
You're right, to a degree. I think what is really bothering people is that the fun of competing with other fans is almost no longer the case. You're competing with businessmen who have tons of leverage and are willing to game the system to make a buck.

Like I said, I have no idea why anyone, fan or scalper, should be allowed to buy 2 copies of the same art when supply is so low in the first place. All I hope for is that Mondo does everything they can to cater to as many fans as possible, and I don't think allowing greedy dickheads to get 2 posters helps that. Honestly, is there anyone here that has multiple copies of the same art hung in their home? Anyone? Even on their "We've been Framed" blog I don't think I've ever seen someone hang a variant and a regular poster. Granted, selling 600 posters to 600 fans as opposed to 450 with people buying 1 of each isn't a huge increase in the odds when you have 10,000+ people trying to get them, but every little bit helps.
When stressed about getting a drop, just remember: it will decay into the same organic matter as inevitably as your rotting corpse no matter how much museum glass you put in front of it.
SadPanda
New User

Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:41 pm

Justin and Rob - Sorry to come across the way I did.

I wasn't trying to come off as critical, just wanted to offer some constructive suggestions to preemptively avoid confusion/outrage in the future.

I don't know how else to do that without being attacked. I truly believe that you are fans first, which is why everything y'all do has been incredible. Y'all have just exploded in the last few years, leading to flippers who spoil things for the rest of us.

People with no heart will always try and find ways to skirt the rules, and I just wanted to offer up my experience and suggestions for the future.

That was all I was trying to say. Not trying to hijack this thread.

I'm not upset about not getting the print last night, I just saw some quick, easy things that could make some things better in the future. There's a thin line between offering help and being overly critical, if I fell on the wrong side, I apologize. I completely recognize how hard you are working to do something you love. Justin, seeing how excited you were last week at the MMM was awesome. Y'all have one of the best jobs in the world and I certainly wasn't trying to put a frown on anybody's face. :notworthy:

And now, as pewter14 very eloquently put it, I'll move on and focus on more important things.
tpeazy
Art Connoisseur

Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:43 pm

zombiedictator wrote:
pewter14 wrote:

You're right, to a degree. I think what is really bothering people is that the fun of competing with other fans is almost no longer the case. You're competing with businessmen who have tons of leverage and are willing to game the system to make a buck.

Like I said, I have no idea why anyone, fan or scalper, should be allowed to buy 2 copies of the same art when supply is so low in the first place. All I hope for is that Mondo does everything they can to cater to as many fans as possible, and I don't think allowing greedy dickheads to get 2 posters helps that. Honestly, is there anyone here that has multiple copies of the same art hung in their home? Anyone? Even on their "We've been Framed" blog I don't think I've ever seen someone hang a variant and a regular poster. Granted, selling 600 posters to 600 fans as opposed to 450 with people buying 1 of each isn't a huge increase in the odds when you have 10,000+ people trying to get them, but every little bit helps.
http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... 32&t=66821
Flimby

Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:53 pm

i wonder how much lead time the artists have with these prints?
black7towr
Art Connoisseur

Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:57 pm

ironjaiden wrote:
black7towr wrote:20 pages have been dropped since i last read this thread. Not sure what has happened but i do know this, Mondo has been doing great things for the fans and if the bitching and whining continues they may just stop doing nice things for the fans. I say we all just get over it and move along. If you don't get a poster it's certainly not the end of the world. My two cents 8)
Those nice things they do for fans are actually how they make their living as well so they aren't going to stop doing them anytime soon. They'll just figure out ways to circumvent some of the foolishness that's popped up recently. Have faith, dudes are smart. :pint:
I'm sure they are very smart guys and i'm sure they will come to some sort of compromise with the fans. I was just trying to say that if people continue to give them flack maybe these special events will not pop up as often or at all. They still have online sales which have been great. They could just stick with that and negate the headache of taking crap on here, Facebook and Twitter.
chisoxfan2424
Art Expert

Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:00 pm

Flimby wrote:i wonder how much lead time the artists have with these prints?
5 years sometimes 10
rmoore wrote:Can't trust someone that doesn't like Jurassic Park...
Spujo
Art Connoisseur

Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:01 pm

I am convinced Tyler is a meth head. Only reasonable explanation for the amount of prints he puts out.
ironjaiden
Art Expert

Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:02 pm

Flimby wrote:i wonder how much lead time the artists have with these prints?
All depends on the print / event / artist I think. I know Tyler's lead time for Star Wars and Rich Kelly's lead time with Down by Law were dramatically different.
Sometimes Mondo needs a poster in a pinch for s screening, other times they've got a series laid out a year in advance it seems.
I don't have any inside Mondo knowledge but I talk to artists sometimes about this stuff and it seems to vary on a case by case basis.
RadicalRich1138
Art Expert

Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:03 pm

An NYC mondo event would be nice, hint hint.
BigmanJames wrote: i am he who does drugs for my inlaws
srdzevon
Art Expert

Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:04 pm

This place sho is quite since the Alamo Whiners thread started up.
ImageX5 Hodor Image