Mr Brainwash Icons Remix opening day recap

General art-related discussion.
Mention
Art Connoisseur

Tue May 11, 2010 12:31 pm

nimsu8 wrote:
neshaus wrote:
s_k_y wrote:Didn't realize he was ripping MICHELIN off too.
I hope you don't mind, I fixed that for you :wink:
lol... that snoopy is pretty bad ass
Snoopy is the only one that looks like a KAWS knock off to me, and only after sky mentioned it.
"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." - Albert Einstein
nimsu8
Art Expert

Tue May 11, 2010 12:35 pm

Mention wrote:
nimsu8 wrote:
neshaus wrote:
s_k_y wrote:Didn't realize he was ripping MICHELIN off too.
I hope you don't mind, I fixed that for you :wink:
lol... that snoopy is pretty bad ass
Snoopy is the only one that looks like a KAWS knock off to me, and only after sky mentioned it.
neshaus is right though... kaws 'ripped off' the michelin man. not sure he really 'owns' the rubber tire sculpture design
Anonymous - "One of these days I'm going to type something clever or funny and it will end up as someone signature...one of these days"
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Tue May 11, 2010 12:46 pm

nimsu8 wrote:
downtown wrote:I still have to see Exit through the gift shop. Very curious about it.
It made me more confused about the whole MBW thing.
What's there to be confused about?
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
nimsu8
Art Expert

Tue May 11, 2010 1:34 pm

Codeblue wrote:
nimsu8 wrote:
downtown wrote:I still have to see Exit through the gift shop. Very curious about it.

as to if MBW is a genius, a marketer, a fake, a Banksy puppet, just a team of people with ideas and he is the face.
Anonymous - "One of these days I'm going to type something clever or funny and it will end up as someone signature...one of these days"
Staunchy
Art Expert

Tue May 11, 2010 2:29 pm

Nice pics! Had a blast and was good to see you again Chris!
i and i
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Tue May 11, 2010 2:40 pm

nimsu8 wrote:
Codeblue wrote:
nimsu8 wrote:

as to if MBW is a genius, a marketer, a fake, a Banksy puppet, just a team of people with ideas and he is the face.
Or more simply.... The Milly Vanilly lip syncer in the artist world
nimsu8
Art Expert

Tue May 11, 2010 2:41 pm

That's the thing.. He could be Milli Vanilli, he could be John Lennon... and yes, I know that an extreme spectrum, but it is probably going to be one or another,
tranito
Art Expert

Tue May 11, 2010 2:52 pm

Was the remix, reopening really necessary? Not asking to the haters, of course they hated the original Icons, but to the fans who enjoyed the first.. I feel like I listened to a cd quite a lot, I enjoyed it and I'm ready for something new, but instead I'm forced to listen to a remix cd of the same songs and I'm just tired of them..
Kramerica wrote:There are a ton of really nice people who come across as complete dickheads on EB.
jojobadass
Art God

Tue May 11, 2010 2:55 pm

jojobadass wrote:looks 75% new/reworked installations

wish I could of come up for the show
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

For other art crap....be sure to check out: http://www.jojosfineart.com

And for the kinkiest records in the world......check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosrecords.com
thebends9
Art Expert

Tue May 11, 2010 2:59 pm

tranito wrote:Was the remix, reopening really necessary? Not asking to the haters, of course they hated the original Icons, but to the fans who enjoyed the first.. I feel like I listened to a cd quite a lot, I enjoyed it and I'm ready for something new, but instead I'm forced to listen to a remix cd of the same songs and I'm just tired of them..
I dug it. Whole different experience from the first time around
AttorneyGreg
Art Expert

Tue May 11, 2010 5:29 pm

neshaus wrote:
AttorneyGreg wrote:thanks. did you see the piece there on Gagnon's site of super marilyn?
Is there something to notice about that?
Was it there? The only picture I've seen is the one on Gagnon's site. I assume, because it's in the "style" of the MBW pieces and is based on an image by Gagnon, that Gagnon has it on his site much like the "look what somebody emailed me thing" fueling his "freud" with MBW. Then again, he could have made it just to show he could whip that up quick, i.e., stealing a little back from MBW. I don't know, hense the question - did you see it, was it there?
noeldrumbor
Art Connoisseur

Tue May 11, 2010 5:49 pm

if Rene has that much beef with MBW, he should have been there at the show and could have put up one of his pieces in the basement. People were allowed to do whatever they wanted, i was surprised there was no hater bs going on down there that i noticed. When i went to the BNE opening a few months ago people were tagging and defacing stuff with their own graf stickers and a few days later someone on flikr was claiming to have stolen stuff from the show and bragging about it. i mean the icons exhibit is wide open for that type of thing now, the basement is completely emptied out down to concrete so that people could go crazy with paint. i imagine MBW will be in ny for at least the rest of the week if not longer. a forced collaboration or some of his anti-mbw pieces on the street outside the show might get his point across better.
Eighty
Art Connoisseur

Tue May 11, 2010 7:27 pm

art for people that hate art
Eighty
Art Connoisseur

Tue May 11, 2010 7:28 pm

or just thinking in general
jojobadass
Art God

Tue May 11, 2010 8:01 pm

art history was one of my least favorite subjects in school.

I thought it was pretty drymounting boring.
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

For other art crap....be sure to check out: http://www.jojosfineart.com

And for the kinkiest records in the world......check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosrecords.com