Can Fairey make good art prints anymore?

General art-related discussion.
aahnutz
EB Team

Sat May 08, 2010 7:27 pm

samuraiwriter wrote:
aahnutz wrote:Hype + flipping - did this collector in. I've moved on.
fixed... and pretty much reflects the whole scene for me. Prints were a nice intro point, self control = more originals.
I'm talking about the quality/quantity of his OG releases. Not the fine art stuff. The older stuff was better.
The information contained in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Expressobeans.com (EB) and shall not be held to limit the rights of EB under the Fair Use Doctrine or any other federal, state, or local law which may be applicable.
selassielion
Art Expert

Sat May 08, 2010 7:52 pm

Just my .02.

I will probably draw alot of heat for this, but to me Fairey's creative prints are too few and far between. His newer prints, Dalai Lama included, are merely photographs taken by other people with Shepard's touch being the distortion and 'noise' he puts into or on the print afterwards, or with an eye-catching background design. I have far more respect for an artist that truly creates the image that he sells, start to finish, rather than one who borrows - very liberally - from iconic photographs or images and jazzes them up.

Sorry if that offends anyone, just my opinion.
Kdh12 wrote:It is not rockets science
gonzo303
Art Freak

Sat May 08, 2010 7:57 pm

I'm offended. Please take that back. How can you hate on him so much! :lol: He is hit or miss, if you dont like it then dont purchase it or even open up the threads about certain Fairey prints. I completely understand more respect for Artists that take the time to make original work.
Same fudge, different drop.
selassielion
Art Expert

Sat May 08, 2010 10:24 pm

Right - like the one in your avatar. That is an artist.
maden
Art Expert

Sat May 08, 2010 10:52 pm

selassielion wrote:I have far more respect for an artist that truly creates the image that he sells, start to finish, rather than one who borrows - very liberally - from iconic photographs or images and jazzes them up.
Like these?
We'll kill the fatted calf tonight, so stick around

selassielion
Art Expert

Sun May 09, 2010 2:46 am

maden wrote:
selassielion wrote:I have far more respect for an artist that truly creates the image that he sells, start to finish, rather than one who borrows - very liberally - from iconic photographs or images and jazzes them up.
Like these?
I'm not really interested in getting into a pissing contest with you maden. Yes, Tyler Stout and Billy Perkins work off of famous images. They draw them. That's why I like their work. If Tyler Stout took a picture of Iron Man on photoshop, scratched it up and put a nice victorian background on it, I wouldn't buy it. To me Shepard Fairey is graphic design, not illustration. He takes an already existing image and distorts it rather than recreating it, such as the prints you were so kind to provide above do. As for Hosman, no clue how or where he got his inspiration from, I like Peter Tosh, so I don't care. I love the print. I think Fairey has a style and look to his prints that are visually appealing, just not - to me - original. To others they may be, that's great, to each their own. I find it ironic, however, in a thread devoted to the percieved and/or opinionated diminishing creativity of an artist, you post Stout as a counter point to make me look condescending, and own more prints of his than I do. What are you trying to say exactly?

edit: fyi the reply to gonzo was not in sarcasm if that's your gripe, I'm a fan of Dan McCarthy as are you evidently.
Catarax
Art Expert

Sun May 09, 2010 8:56 am

i'm just not a big fan of putting potraits of famous/inspirational people around me.. they usually go nice in a flat file, unless it's very creative..
sixstringer wrote: I don't care how they look...I just want to pop off the top and huff the tube!
Raheen_Shabbazz
Art Connoisseur

Sun May 09, 2010 10:31 am

He is the greatest thing since sliced bread. So is Monroe Brainwash. Their prints are going to be worth millions someday. You should spend all your extra cash, energy and time trying to acquire each and every one of them. Do not spend another dollar or another minute on on drops like McCarthy or Horkey or Emek or anyone else. Those prints are all Failips.

You heard it here first!
gonzo303
Art Freak

Sun May 09, 2010 1:29 pm

I know you werent bashing McCarthy because that would be just plain dumb. selassielion dont worry bout Maden, he just trolls here trying to find something you messed up on. Kinda like Blue but not near as funny. Dont let him get to you. we each like our own art, im not a huge Fairey fan but he does have some good prints. When you release 4 a month your artistic ability will affected a little bit IMO.
Same fudge, different drop.
maden
Art Expert

Sun May 09, 2010 2:45 pm

selassielion wrote:I find it ironic, however, in a thread devoted to the percieved and/or opinionated diminishing creativity of an artist, you post Stout as a counter point to make me look condescending, and own more prints of his than I do. What are you trying to say exactly?
I was never trying to make an argument that all Fairey did was take other peoples work and jazz it up a bit. My point is that what Stout does is to a degree very similar to what Fairey is doing (neither is really use their own started from scratch image ala McCarthy) and I think it is a bit hypocritical for you to say Fairey can't do anything original while you support Stout. Stout might have put more effort in and made it a little more his own, but he is still using someones images.

For what it's worth, I am a big Stout fan.

selassielion
Art Expert

Sun May 09, 2010 3:52 pm

maden wrote: Stout might have put more effort in and made it a little more his own, but he is still using someones images.
With Tyler, in the case of his movie posters, yes this is somewhat true. In the case of all of his other work, original art, gig posters, etc. this is not true.

With Shepard Fairey, this is almost always the case. I don't think any less of you for liking him, I just think the hype that surrounds him is a bit ridiculous considering the amount of skill and talent he puts into a piece as opposed to say, Horkey, who doesn't have nearly the hype and 10x the chops. I like some of his images, yes; just am not that impressed with his artistic ability. I didn't open the Fairey thread and contribute my two cents to piss on the guy, I was just agreeing with the OP.
alwaysalx
Art Expert

Sun May 09, 2010 4:05 pm

well said, and as usual the agitators are out in full force! clowns!!

your point is 100% valid, i fell similarly about shepard's 'recent' pieces

there is no more dissension in his art, now it is all homage pieces or charity boredom!

obey what? he long ago gave up the punk mentality, Shep has full graduated to capitalist.

and for the record, congrats Shepard for getting this far with your art, you did an amazing job don't stop now!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

NOW GET BACK TO YOUR drymounting ROOTS ALREADY!

NO MORE CANDY ASS FLUFF PRINTS! :hanging:
maden
Art Expert

Sun May 09, 2010 11:18 pm

selassielion wrote:With Shepard Fairey, this is almost always the case. I don't think any less of you for liking him, I just think the hype that surrounds him is a bit ridiculous considering the amount of skill and talent he puts into a piece as opposed to say, Horkey, who doesn't have nearly the hype and 10x the chops. I like some of his images, yes; just am not that impressed with his artistic ability. I didn't open the Fairey thread and contribute my two cents to piss on the guy, I was just agreeing with the OP.
I think the hype comes from releasing many years of solid prints. He has made a career ripping off others images. I find it interesting that when he rips off someones image and does it well people fap like none other, but when its a shitty image people grab the pitchforks.

I really just singled you out for arguments sake. My real issue is with the same discussion about Fairey that happens all over these boards (and that I have taken part in somewhere along the line I am sure). People get all 'Fairey is just releasing crap. He hasn't been cool in years' and it just gets so damn redundant. Next time I will flame the OP.

selassielion
Art Expert

Mon May 10, 2010 2:23 am

Fair enough! :)
my2hands
Art Expert

Mon May 10, 2010 11:31 pm

blazedoutbee wrote:Image

The Ali is even better, I'll post a pic later...
a portrait... and Ali 2010 is the 2nd portrait of the greatest of all time...

seems to be all portraits and pattern prints...

i did really dig the duality series... so i dont mind using iconic pics once in a while.. but man, it is beat to death isnt it? and the portraits of the icons are whipped to death as well...

maybe it is the fact he is doing a show and has no original art prints to offer? all portraits? doesnt he realize MBW is doing an entire "Icons" show right now and fairey is releasing ALL icon portraits at his show... coincidence? or just lame? :lol: