First time at Flatstock - recommendations

General art-related discussion.
Kaber
Art Connoisseur

Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:31 pm

I'm heading over to SXSW and will have the joy of checking out Flatstock.

Any recommendations for the trip e.g

Are tubes and mylar paper on sale there.
Does stuff sell out fast?
Any particular artists (old and new) folks recommend I check out?

Thanks
You toss in a word, I'm your villain
I see the passion emerge, I'm your villain
But serious, You're so serious
Like a waiter, Hating the rich
But taking their tips
kramer73
Art Expert

Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:38 pm

I'd bring your own tube/tubes or however you wanted to transport your purchases.

Say hi to Jay Ryan!
mistersmith wrote: Yet another pair of prints that I freak over, plan to frame for my office, buy for too much money, then stash away in a flat file because framing is balls expensive. Can't wait.
jojobadass
Art God

Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:40 pm

it takes about 2 solid days to get through flatstock.
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

For other art crap....be sure to check out: http://www.jojosfineart.com

And for the kinkiest records in the world......check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosrecords.com
nimsu8
Art Expert

Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:44 pm

Tubes are for sale for $5.

There is a mobile USPS station set up during the entrance.

Bring cash. There is an ATM near by. Most guys don't take credit cards.. and if they do, it is kind of a pain in the ass for them
Last edited by nimsu8 on Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymous - "One of these days I'm going to type something clever or funny and it will end up as someone signature...one of these days"
macc5
EB Team

Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:46 pm

nimsu8 wrote:There is a mobile USPS station set up during the entrance.
wow, really ? damn, what a great idea... they need that at TRPS
nimsu8
Art Expert

Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:49 pm

macc5 wrote:
nimsu8 wrote:There is a mobile USPS station set up during the entrance.
wow, really ? damn, what a great idea... they need that at TRPS

Been there the past 3 years, so I assume it will be there again
Anonymous - "One of these days I'm going to type something clever or funny and it will end up as someone signature...one of these days"
rssesq
Art Expert

Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:55 pm

get laid! :clap:
pj101ca
Art Expert

Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:10 pm

Make sure you have a shitload of cash if you plan on hitting DD or RJ's booth.

If you're going to drop a bundle, make sure you have a good story planned out for when you hit customs leaving the country
mike123230 wrote:hahahah lawyers are stupid. boom. roasted.
ColdSoreSuperstar
Art Expert

Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:14 pm

drymount the posters, get into all those insane shows. drymounted Up and HoF!
not dead
daviddelgadoh
Art Expert

Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:40 pm

ColdSoreSuperstar wrote:drymount the posters, get into all those insane shows. drymounted Up and HoF!
Flatstock starts before SXSW music, no? Even if it doesn't, it opens early (1pm) whereas most shows start late.

Anywho, I'll be at the film fest like last year, but I'll definitely be stopping by FS. I was goign to start a similar thread too, my main question was whether I should bring cash - thanks for that answer!
I'm also curious if stuff sells out fast though. Should I get there early and wait in line, or will most of the stuff be available within a few hours of opening?
nimsu8
Art Expert

Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:42 pm

daviddelgadoh wrote:
ColdSoreSuperstar wrote:drymount the posters, get into all those insane shows. drymounted Up and HoF!
Flatstock starts before SXSW music, no? Even if it doesn't, it opens early (1pm) whereas most shows start late.

Anywho, I'll be at the film fest like last year, but I'll definitely be stopping by FS. I was goign to start a similar thread too, my main question was whether I should bring cash - thanks for that answer!
I'm also curious if stuff sells out fast though. Should I get there early and wait in line, or will most of the stuff be available within a few hours of opening?
Depends on what you mean by fast.. They get most of their traffic on the weekend, so you can probably get what you want if you go during the first half of the 1st day.
pj101ca
Art Expert

Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:47 pm

daviddelgadoh wrote:

Austin FS is way more laid back than Seattle FS. Things don't usually sell out fast. Only reason to be there when the doors open is if you're after Horkey stuff. There's usually a line up of superdorks at the BONA booth within seconds of it opening.
mike123230 wrote:hahahah lawyers are stupid. boom. roasted.
wolvesatnight
Art Enthusiast

Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:57 pm

pj101ca wrote:
daviddelgadoh wrote:
Austin FS is way more laid back than Seattle FS. Things don't usually sell out fast. Only reason to be there when the doors open is if you're after Horkey stuff. There's usually a line up of superdorks at the BONA booth within seconds of it opening.
not any more.

eat at Stubbs BBQ, walk off your lunch on the way to the convention center, bring cash and your paypal account info, bring a large tube if you have one or spend the $5 to buy a smaller one, meet the artists and chat with them and enjoy.
pewter14
EB Team

Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:57 pm

Yeeeeeeeeeah .... if someone could pick me up a White Stripes Glace Bay print from RJ for $250 or less ... I'd appreciate it ...

ok, thanks a bunch ...

(surprised there is no mention of the Texas bbq I hear so much about?)
mistersmith wrote:Brady is one of the best QBs in history and will forever been seen as such.
Two links every EB member should read, please take a moment:

EB Wiki - How to Ship a Print in a Tube

Expressobeans For Sale Forum - Open Market Guidelines
ColdSoreSuperstar
Art Expert

Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:58 pm

saltlick
not dead