Art Expert

Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:01 am

:drool:
misterx
Art Expert

Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:44 am

chan011 wins.

Unbeatable. The best Bugs I've seen.
War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.
chan011
Art Expert

Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:47 am

misterx wrote:chan011 wins.

if only they were mine
dwsteven
Art Enthusiast

Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:18 am

IMG_6891.JPG
Crappy cell phone pics, but man! This print is a sight to behold. Easily leapt to the front of my framing queue.
IMG_6892.JPG
IMG_6889.JPG
quexzea
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:23 am

that print looks beautiful!
nrgball
Art Expert

Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:31 am

Stunning!!
Image Image
misterx
Art Expert

Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:50 am

chan011 wrote:
misterx wrote:chan011 wins.

if only they were mine
Haha, yeah, I can imagine...wasnt sure if you were the owner, or just the messenger. Alas, for you, the latter!

And the print looks killa too.
War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.
phishstix101
Art Expert

Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:15 am

quexzea wrote:that print looks beautiful!
mrkyuss
Art God

Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:40 am

Dear diary,

Jackpot.

P.S. that horizontal OG looks sweet.
President of the DALeast MAN LOVE club.
President of the Late Night Crew (LNC).
chan011
Art Expert

Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:41 pm

Spatia wrote:You do have some say in the process with MB. For me however I enjoy letting them run with it. Once we agree on the subject matter of course - I let them fulfill their vision in the piece they create.

Anyone know where the pricing is at with MB these days?
soupysound wrote:for EBers that have bought a resin....

what sort of input do you have into the piece? i know pricing is determined by size, but just curious about the process.
I’ve wanted to document this for the last few years so others can see the behind the scenes and how great MB is to work with. Hopefully MB will be fine with the correspondence that is documented below but im sure I'm not the only one that was curious about the process

Here is the overall process for my piece
I started this process back in December of 2013 and she finally arrived today!

Quotes are MB, Italics are me
Size and prices for resin pieces is as follows: (took out the prices since it was from back in 2013

small 120cm x 90cm (ish) (this is the starting size - cannot go smaller with resin due to detail)
medium 150cm x 110cm (ish)
large 180cm x 130cm (ish) (depending on materials/size)

The prices above are for wall-hanging pieces and come framed in hand-made deep float frames. There will be an extra cost for shipping and art crate at the end, so please bear this in mind.

Our commission process works like this - due to high demand we need to take a holding deposit to add you to the list. This is 10% of the total price. This is to ensure your slot as we'll have to turn other people down. I hope you understand.

Once we've discussed your commission and agreed to start, we'll show you mock-up ideas and do any tests we need to do and make sure we're all happy.. We can take things in different directions if needed, then we work out materials etc... Once we've got the piece mocked up and we all agree to go ahead we'll start to create the actual piece. We can keep you updated with photos of the process etc.

We ask for the next 40% before starting the mock up work and the final 50% on completion.
The Mock Up Process

I asked the following -
have you ever done a piece that incorporated blades, pills and or dollars or do you tend to stick with one throughout?
We tend to use one element throughout, saying that, we have mixed coins with paper cut butterfly wings - But we tend stick with one element as it fits with the story behind the piece... We feel It can be a little overkill and detract from the overall impact of a piece. This isn't to say we wouldn't do it, if it made sense in the development of the mock up, so can bear this in mind.

Do you lean more towards our portraits, 3/4 portraits or our more figurative work? - if you name a few pieces that you like this really helps us start getting ideas together.
I then asked

I started brainstorming ideas for the resin and was wondering if the iridescent side of abalone shells be a feasible resin option?
We are getting closer to being able to start your commission. I like the iridescent shells idea and do have some in the studio, it would be interesting to do some test with them in resin and see how they look...

It may be nice to use them a long side coins, we like the idea of something so naturally beautiful that contrasts with the man made concept of currency... We'll give it some more thought.
I also asked -
will i be able to pick the likeness of the face on the piece?
The face and body part (likeness) is something we really need to be able to work on ourselves and make each element work together. It's a really important part of our process for us and can set the mood of a piece. We collage different source martial to reflect a feel or help tell the story of the piece. But we've got a good idea from the pieces you chose as favorites, so we have a strong feeling of how to develop your commission. And if we're miles off with the mock up we can always rework. :)
Anyhow I've done a test with the abalone shells - At first look, it looks like it could be really interesting. I'll get some photos of the test tomorrow and send over.

We've also made a very rough start on your mock up... not ready to show yet but we're starting to get a sense of the piece. We're really excited and I think she is going to be really interesting with the abalone beads…

See test photos attached - Don't worry about the clarity of the resin the test are still in the mould so they looks a little strange...

Anyhow it works :) and they look beautiful under resin - I think this could be stunning on a large scale...

We'll keep you posted with the mock up ect.

originally i was imagining larger pieces of shell, but the iridescent effect is what i was after.
do you have an idea as to what other material you are considering to go along with the shells?

Working on putting them next to other coloured square beads (which we're trying to source). At the moment building up some insane pixelated patterns that will float. It's new for us, so taking a little longer to develop... But is very intricate and we're very excited.

Also if it helps, I really liked the blue color from your Showing Today piece that you posted on facebook. Doesnt necessarily have to be blue but just the fact that it was a colored piece and not clear or black. not sure if that will work with the abalone or not but just something that i happened to like.
Sorry for the slow reply... I've just been helping with the finishing and packing of our last print run.

Happy to try a colour back drop....

I don't think it will of anyone particular (very famous). At the moment we're just looking at different portraits that capture the mood and overall feel of the piece we're trying to achieve... We never really start with any one set person unless its a portrait piece.

Ok we've made some good progress with your mock up (see photos attached) and got her to a stage where we're really happy with her. I love the natural surface of the shells, but using them in a conflicting man-made way, from a digital pixel pattern. We tried to give the pattern a boldness from afar, whist trying to keep a delicacy in the detail.

Developing the pattern took us a little time as it's a new process. We haven't yet quite worked out how we're going to realise her. We trying to source the correct size shell and plastic tiles so she doesn't end up ridiculously big and at the sometime we want to keep the fine detail aswell.

I've also attached a close up so you can see how the tiles and shells work. The mock ups always look flat, it's impossible for us to get the texture, shadows and depth of the resin across that the final piece will have.

We still make a few tweaks and may need to add to the pattern work once we are creating her and can see her at actual size.

Any way let us know it you like the direction.

Working title - Game Over
only attached one of the two photos
honestly, i wasnt blown away with it after first look. i like some parts of it but there are some pieces that you have done that my first impression is just WOW. (Showing Today, Dreamglider, Elements of Everyone, Spike Lee etc). the piece does grow on me the more times i look at it.
Sorry to hear you’re not taken by her. Totally understand, we want you to be 100% happy with her and ‘wowed’.

We could change the colour of the backdrop, rework the pattern, change the dress shape and replace face etc, but I feel in this case, because there’s not a lot of it that you are liking, it’s probably best we start afresh with the mock up.

As for the pattern work - Bugs has been playing with pixel patterns for sometime and developing an approach to them that works with our forms. We tend to be drawn towards the bold shapes that the pixels form. To us, they have an 80's computer game feel, such as this one with the large cross. The square abalone tiles, and the plastic tiles lend themselves to this type of pixel work. However we found when working with them in a more natural way, forming swirls and circles they start to look very twee and they can start to look a little like bathroom tiling :)

The feathers just didn't do it for us, I make prints from single feathers, so did try forming a pattern. However they are quite large and don't bring the detail to a piece of this scale that we looking for. With our pattern work we go for very small elements (blades, bullet, paper cuts, coins, tiles) so that we can build an intricate formation.

Anyway, we're happy to try a new tile/pixel pattern and work on a standing figure, more in line with 'Dreamglider' or 'Elements of Everyone'.

Just on a side note, is it a must for you, for us to use abalone tiles/shells? I only ask as we've just been working on a piece for another collector (it's slightly larger) but seem to cover the points you made below, see mock up attached. I think the tiles are always going to be quite bold, however if we use blades, charms or something which has a range of small but fixed stander sizes then we can create a much more delicate pattern which I think you're after.

Anyway, after saying that I think we should try another mock up that uses the abalone and plastic tiles and see where it take us... I just thought it might be good to have a fall back plan.

We'll start work on the next mock asap and Bugs is already playing with his gridded paper and coloured pens :) We're just about to start on a few resin pours so should have a new mock up for you to see in about 3 weeks or so.
after another couple of month
We have been working on a similar pixel piece - see process photo attached. It's a little bit more straight forward and less abstract than yours, as it's just part of an overall piece. But will give you a little but of an idea. In a way, your pattern will end up more intricate and detailed, which I feel will be more powerful.

We'll be in touch as soon as we re-worked mockup.

thanks for the update. I figured the new warehouse was going to take some time to get completed.
The other piece doesn't really look anything like your piece, The pixel part on this piece, which we're working on at the moment isn't formed into a pattern, it's just the characters lined up. It's is more straight forward than your piece in the sense of the pixels. And on this artwork the pixels are just a small part of the overall piece, and much of it is going to be covered with another layer of work.

The idea did stem from your piece, but crossed over into this piece once we did a few tests as it seemed to work and was what we were looking for.

Lets continue developing your mock up as we both think it's really strong and is a piece we would create even if you wanted to take the commission in another direction :) - So we would be happy to discuss blades if this didn't work out for you.

We've been working on your commission and have developed the process further. We've got to a stage and we're really really excited by her (we loved her before but now feel like we're really moving forward)... The pattern work still needs tightening up and we need to continue to develop a bit more... Take a look at the attached mock up...

We will be able to show you some test sections of the pixel tiles in the next 10days or so.

The black around the edge is to give an idea of the frame.

Title - Game Girl Over
plastic tiles / block, float cast in resin with 24ct gold leaf on wood and aluminum.

Remember the mock ups look flat compared to the finished pieces.. It's just impossible to translate the texture, finish and depth at this stage.

I think the gold leaf pixels against the aubergine colour back drop will look opulent.

The shells didn't really work, didn't feel they where needed as the piece developed and allowed us to take some of the tiles down to a tiny size of 3mm (more detail)... Take a look on the lap top, we like looking at her from different distances and angles, the pattern seems to merge and change... :)
with different backgrounds and some tweaks to the design
Here is the re-worked mock up, with the new pattern - finally! :). Bugs tells me there is 6or7 of the games you mentioned in the new pattern. (I'm not sure which ones, I'm not much of game player)

I think it's going to be really interesting with the depth and shadows created by the resin and aluminum.

The whole piece keeps getting bigger, i think it's going to be nearly 180cm tall!!! Bigger in the frame!

We made some other small tweaks to the outline etc.

Let me know your thoughts.

FINAL PICTURES

d 7.2cm x h146.5cm x w92cm

phishstix101
Art Expert

Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:18 am

That's just fantastic! Congratulations chan!!
chan011
Art Expert

Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:28 am

phishstix101 wrote:That's just fantastic! Congratulations chan!!
thank you. now to figure out how to hang her. shes heavy
nrgball
Art Expert

Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:12 am

Great read through!! Congrats on a killer piece!!
Image Image
mrkyuss
Art God

Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:52 am

Love the size of that. Must be heavy AF.
President of the DALeast MAN LOVE club.
President of the Late Night Crew (LNC).
noweyesee
Art Expert

Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:37 am

That's gorgeous!