Horkey letterpress preview

General art-related discussion.
greenhorn1
Art Expert

Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:07 pm

machination wrote:
JasonSlc wrote:Was anyone else a little disappointed to see Goatmeal didn't have the filigree? I saw the preview shots but I guess I still expected it to be included in the final run.
Yes, I was. But the detail is so small that perhaps it was too much to recreate? Complete speculation on my part though.
I could be wrong but I don't think that filigree was part of the original (goatmeal) art. It was added afterwards when creating the melvins print. I seem to recall seeing that pattern used to decorate the wall at one of the gallery shows (possibly mystery city?)
ISO Horkey Stacy Lowery Paleo Deck. $$$$$$$ (or trade)
JasonSlc
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:09 pm

greenhorn1 wrote:
machination wrote:
JasonSlc wrote:Was anyone else a little disappointed to see Goatmeal didn't have the filigree? I saw the preview shots but I guess I still expected it to be included in the final run.
Yes, I was. But the detail is so small that perhaps it was too much to recreate? Complete speculation on my part though.
I could be wrong but I don't think that filigree was part of the original (goatmeal) art. It was added afterwards when creating the melvins print. I seem to recall seeing that pattern used to decorate the wall at one of the gallery shows (possibly mystery city?)
I forgot that detail, my brain sucks. ThirdEye dug those photos up recently for me but I can't remember where they were posted.
TheThirdEye
Art Expert

Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:18 pm

I had posted them in the "Mini masterpiece" thread when we were discussing the custom OTA prints. I believe this is the one?

JasonSlc
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:19 pm

That's it. You work fast.
decker3984
Art Expert

Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:26 pm

TheThirdEye wrote:I'm really digging the Racebannon now that I've seen the letterpress image. The colors on the original poster are kinda washed out looking so there is no definition like there is when it's just black and white.
My thoughts exactly.

I got it when it came out because the completist in my thought; New Horkey... Gotta have it! Poster arrived and my feelings were pretty much, :? . I thought it was dope that the artwork seemed to be a bit of a throwback to Aaron's graff days. And the fact that try as I might, I couldn't entirely make out "Racebannon" in the artwork never really bothered me... Just kind of added to the overall mystique / allure. But the colors really just didn't do it for me. Sure the fact that the main screen is a split fountain across the image is dope. But it all just seemed too muted, IMO. Now, seeing it in the stark contrast of B&W has given me a whole new found appreciation for the artwork! And I can't wait to see it along with the rest of the set in person!
TheThirdEye wrote:So Decker... give us the story on "The Rook" sketch. Do you own this and were sworn to secrecy until the image was revealed, or did you just get an advanced look at it since you got the painted Nesting?
Well, I think this should pretty much answer your question...
The Rook (title).jpg
But to answer your question, I was not sworn to secrecy. Aaron said I could post the image if I wanted to when I got it back in December. But he did say at the time (provided I didn't object, haha!) that he was very much considering using the image as the first "Mystery Print" for the letterpressed series... Since that is pretty much when I think they were first considering the format change from 3 sets of 6, to 6 sets of 3. Anyway, I figured it would be pretty shitty of me and definitely a bit of a spoiler to release what the "Mystery Print" looked like before Dead Arts had the opportunity to... Didn't want the Horkey faithful thinking I was holding out on them without good reason! :lol:

:notworthy: Horkey.
downtown wrote:If God has a plan for humanity it is simply to see what Aaron Horkey will do in the next ten years.
TheThirdEye
Art Expert

Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:30 pm

^ you lucky bastard! Congrats!
decker3984
Art Expert

Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:31 pm

While doing so wouldn't necessarily fit with what it being done with any of the other prints in the series, I thought it would be totally rad if there was a blind debossing of the filigree around the line art of the goat. Totally wishful thinking...

But you have to admit, it would be pretty drymounting cool! :lol:
downtown wrote:If God has a plan for humanity it is simply to see what Aaron Horkey will do in the next ten years.
greenhorn1
Art Expert

Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:32 pm

TheThirdEye wrote:^ you lucky bastard! Congrats!
what he said.
ISO Horkey Stacy Lowery Paleo Deck. $$$$$$$ (or trade)
decker3984
Art Expert

Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:36 pm

Well, Thank You! :wink:

And given the source... I consider that VERY high praise! And speaking of which, I will see to it that it ends up in its rightful home with the other "Horkey Mini-Masterpieces." But right now, I've really got to get back to work while I still have a job to get back to! :lol:
jhulud
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:36 pm

Daaaaaamn!!!

:drool:
"An angel's heart given flight by demon's wings faces certain death."
decker3984
Art Expert

Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:55 pm

greenhorn1 wrote:
what he said.
Thanks, -A
jhulud wrote:Daaaaaamn!!!

:drool:
Just to clarify, mine is the graphite and gouache... Not the ink. :wink:

Not that they aren't both INSANELY bad-ass!! :twisted:
ColdSoreSuperstar
Art Expert

Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:15 pm

I bet decker just got 50 pm's asking for a jpeg on the hush hush
not dead
decker3984
Art Expert

Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:16 pm

ColdSoreSuperstar wrote:I bet decker just got 50 pm's asking for a jpeg on the hush hush
Go back to page 23. :wink:
srdzevon
Art Expert

Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:18 pm

Beat me to it!
ImageX5 Hodor Image
ColdSoreSuperstar
Art Expert

Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:19 pm

oh wow. i haven't really been following this since I didn't buy anything and spent the morning drymounting my car (to no avail).

I like the fly.

And the racebannon is the best one so far.

i sorta remember liking gospel's sound when that poster came out. I think I bought their album.
not dead