Show us your Flat File/Work/Flattening area

General art-related discussion.
Bluecow
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 748
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:23 am
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:51 pm

Thronk wrote:Image
That is beautiful. Seeing that it's made out of wood, what did you line the drawers with to keep the fumes and such from damaging the prints? My dad has a wood shop and I'd love for him to build me a flat file, but I wasn't sure what would be good to line the drawers with to protect the prints.
User avatar
Thronk
Art Expert
Posts: 1291
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:43 am
Location: The Beach

Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:08 pm

Bluecow wrote:That is beautiful. Seeing that it's made out of wood, what did you line the drawers with to keep the fumes and such from damaging the prints? My dad has a wood shop and I'd love for him to build me a flat file, but I wasn't sure what would be good to line the drawers with to protect the prints.
Inside each drawer is a coat of shellac with an archival backing on the bottom.

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-5490-ar ... 2+thick-10
User avatar
lsmith55
Art Expert
Posts: 5560
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:30 pm

Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:32 pm

Thronk wrote:
Bluecow wrote:That is beautiful. Seeing that it's made out of wood, what did you line the drawers with to keep the fumes and such from damaging the prints? My dad has a wood shop and I'd love for him to build me a flat file, but I wasn't sure what would be good to line the drawers with to protect the prints.
Inside each drawer is a coat of shellac with an archival backing on the bottom.

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-5490-ar ... 2+thick-10
Do you just have the prints loose? Or do you put them in acid-free sleeves as well? I have a wooden flat file as well and I store all my prints in sleeves, but a mention of "Fumes" makes me nervous...
Image Don't try it, you drymount.
User avatar
Thronk
Art Expert
Posts: 1291
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:43 am
Location: The Beach

Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:49 pm

lsmith55 wrote:
Thronk wrote:
Bluecow wrote:That is beautiful. Seeing that it's made out of wood, what did you line the drawers with to keep the fumes and such from damaging the prints? My dad has a wood shop and I'd love for him to build me a flat file, but I wasn't sure what would be good to line the drawers with to protect the prints.
Inside each drawer is a coat of shellac with an archival backing on the bottom.

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-5490-ar ... 2+thick-10
Do you just have the prints loose? Or do you put them in acid-free sleeves as well? I have a wooden flat file as well and I store all my prints in sleeves, but a mention of "Fumes" makes me nervous...
Tannin is a chemical in many woods that can cause discoloration over time. The shellac in the drawers is to seal that in. I do also use sleeves though.

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-3003-po ... -flap.aspx
User avatar
lsmith55
Art Expert
Posts: 5560
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:30 pm

Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:51 pm

Thronk wrote:
lsmith55 wrote:
Thronk wrote:
Bluecow wrote:That is beautiful. Seeing that it's made out of wood, what did you line the drawers with to keep the fumes and such from damaging the prints? My dad has a wood shop and I'd love for him to build me a flat file, but I wasn't sure what would be good to line the drawers with to protect the prints.
Inside each drawer is a coat of shellac with an archival backing on the bottom.

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-5490-ar ... 2+thick-10
Do you just have the prints loose? Or do you put them in acid-free sleeves as well? I have a wooden flat file as well and I store all my prints in sleeves, but a mention of "Fumes" makes me nervous...
Tannin is a chemical in many woods that can cause discoloration over time. The shellac in the drawers is to seal that in. I do also use sleeves though.

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-3003-po ... -flap.aspx
Damn, guess I've got another project to add to the list... :( Thanks for the response
Image Don't try it, you drymount.
User avatar
dasponyboy
Art Expert
Posts: 5363
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:47 pm
Location: THE ILL

Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:45 pm

It's the same reason I use Lineco frame sealing tape on the rabbet when doing my frame ups. I'm sure it's overkill but whatever I still do it.
User avatar
summoner
Art Freak
Posts: 11179
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:22 am

Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:47 pm

Let's see some shots of the inside! I need some good spank material. :oops:
Image Image Image
User avatar
wottagunn
Art Expert
Posts: 5490
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:28 pm
Location: Near Melbourne

Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:28 pm

Pardon my noob-ness here, but was is the name for those green rubber mats that some people have on top of their flat files? The ones that you can cut with a knife and the sorta heal themselves and often have a graph pattern.
I want to purchase one but have no idea what to search for online because I don’t know what they’re called. Rubber art mat?
User avatar
dasponyboy
Art Expert
Posts: 5363
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:47 pm
Location: THE ILL

Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:30 pm

User avatar
rmoore
Art Expert
Posts: 6559
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:13 pm
Location: Charlotte
Contact:

Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:54 pm

dasponyboy wrote:
rmoore wrote:
dasponyboy wrote:Texas people, MattG just dropped his to $100, it's a pretty nice setup if somebody is looking

http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... 0&t=129951

8)
Congrats man, it was a damn good deal :pint:
Thanks, it's a beauty! Just need to put some legs on it. And thanks to MattG for a great price!



Image
User avatar
iambillyg
Art Freak
Posts: 10387
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:14 am
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:18 pm

Still want your metal, Russ. Never forget.
User avatar
lsmith55
Art Expert
Posts: 5560
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:30 pm

Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:38 pm

Thronk wrote:
lsmith55 wrote:
Thronk wrote:
Bluecow wrote:That is beautiful. Seeing that it's made out of wood, what did you line the drawers with to keep the fumes and such from damaging the prints? My dad has a wood shop and I'd love for him to build me a flat file, but I wasn't sure what would be good to line the drawers with to protect the prints.
Inside each drawer is a coat of shellac with an archival backing on the bottom.

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-5490-ar ... 2+thick-10
Do you just have the prints loose? Or do you put them in acid-free sleeves as well? I have a wooden flat file as well and I store all my prints in sleeves, but a mention of "Fumes" makes me nervous...
Tannin is a chemical in many woods that can cause discoloration over time. The shellac in the drawers is to seal that in. I do also use sleeves though.

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-3003-po ... -flap.aspx
Any recommendations on what type of Shellac I should use? I would prefer to get something from a Big Box store- i.e. lowes or home depot. Also- should i take off the gliders on my drawers and do the exterior of the drawer as well, or would it suffice to just focus on the drawer interior?

How soon after everything dries is it safe to put my prints back in? Should i hold off for a couple days?

sorry for all the questions- any help is appreciated!
Image Don't try it, you drymount.
User avatar
rmoore
Art Expert
Posts: 6559
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:13 pm
Location: Charlotte
Contact:

Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:40 pm

iambillyg wrote:Still want your metal, Russ. Never forget.
Hey, can I get that glass top to put on this one?
User avatar
mattg
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 392
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:19 am

Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:54 pm

Glad it went to a good home. Now to get a place big enough to get one again.
Image
User avatar
iambillyg
Art Freak
Posts: 10387
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:14 am
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:29 pm

rmoore wrote:
iambillyg wrote:Still want your metal, Russ. Never forget.
Hey, can I get that glass top to put on this one?
:-x
Post Reply