OMG & G1988

General art-related discussion.
charter
Art Expert

Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:27 pm

mistersmith wrote:Hell yeah, Olly Moss. Kickass. Anyone have a link to a hi-res so I can read the text just past the finish line?
No sorry, he let me see that about a month ago but I am sure a high res one will be posted on his site or on G1988.
mistersmith
Art Freak

Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:07 pm

charter wrote:
mistersmith wrote:Hell yeah, Olly Moss. Kickass. Anyone have a link to a hi-res so I can read the text just past the finish line?
No sorry, he let me see that about a month ago but I am sure a high res one will be posted on his site or on G1988.
Word. I can wait a while, it's ink on paper so it ain't like it's going anywhere, I'll probably buy one for my friend back home, he'll love it.
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
greenhorn1
Art Expert

Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:09 pm

I dig the prefontaine print.
ISO Horkey Stacy Lowery Paleo Deck. $$$$$$$ (or trade)
rmoore
Art Expert

Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:13 pm

Visual wrote:Here is my print for the show.

I always wanted to do a print of Prefontaine (did a painting of him years ago).

JB
Nice work!!!
wizdom
Art Expert

Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:19 pm

charter wrote:Here is Olly's:

He is a VERY talented graphic designer. What a poster :clap:
Imatruck
Art Expert

Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:24 pm

wizdom wrote: He is a VERY talented graphic designer. What a poster :clap:
that is a pretty cool poster. I second the :clap:
machination
EB Team Emeritus

Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:49 pm

Olly's is my favourite so far.
jojobadass
Art God

Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:54 pm

perkins
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

For other art crap....be sure to check out: http://www.jojosfineart.com

And for the kinkiest records in the world......check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosrecords.com
entropy
Art Connoisseur

Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:19 am

That poster by Olly Moss is really inspiring. Never heard of him so had to research his work (and the event depicted in this poster: Olympics in Berlin where it was USA's Jesse Owens versus the Nazi's need to assert "Aryan racial superiority"). Anyway, I think Olly Moss is a genius. I just purchased a couple of t-shirts from Threadless.com with this awesome Olly design: The Food Chain

As much as I don't want to, I'm going to probably have to wait in line Thursday night at G1988 LA. Unless they will be taking phone orders...
jimmy4wmu
Art Expert

Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:21 pm

Wish Millward's Gibby print was this moment... But I understand the Dodger moment is more epic for most...
fluffhead13 wrote:after an A in multidimensional calculus and an A in matrices and differential equations, how dare u questions my math skills.
http://www.distractyourface.com
qotsa909
Art Connoisseur

Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:30 pm

is this entire series just going to be great AMERICAN sporting moments?
not moaning, just asking
rossi1102
Art Expert

Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:03 pm

Looks like Olly shouldn't have been so quick to make one about 1936, when according to this writer he could have made one about 2010.
http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/02/28 ... -only.html
Maybe a print with a mogul run and the star and stripes just beating out the maple leaf?
machination
EB Team Emeritus

Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:25 pm

rossi1102 wrote:Looks like Olly shouldn't have been so quick to make one about 1936, when according to this writer he could have made one about 2010.
http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/02/28 ... -only.html
Maybe a print with a mogul run and the star and stripes just beating out the maple leaf?
I'm sure no one cares, and the environment in Vancouver was different than watching it on TV, but:

Hmm...I'm not so sure. It's quite serious and makes grand claims.

I primarily watched CTV. I saw plenty of coverage about the luge death and the top USA athletes, including Vonn, Ohno, Lysacek, and the long-track speed skating teams that beat out favourites. Any good commentator (like Catriona Le May Doan) knew exactly how each athlete from all over the world worked, what records they have, and the commentators also spoke favourably towards them each time they competed. I learned a lot about many athletes from other countries - most of whom I knew nothing about before these Olympics.

It makes sense that the networks would primarily cover Canadian athletes. It's not like these are the first Olympics where the host country focuses on their own athletes. I get the point that they should be focusing on other athletes (successes and tragedies alike) without immediately referring back to Canadian athletes, but maybe it's a way to get viewers to relate to the situation at hand. Yes, Rochette's mother passing away overshadowed South Korean Kim Yu-Na's gold medal win, but I never knew who she was before this. And everyone who watched the broadcast knew that Yu-Na gave one of the best figure skating performances of all time, technically speaking. Emotionally, however, of course people will connect with Rochette more. Because she went through a personal tragedy and still skated a couple of days after.

With the whole "Own the Podium" program, Canadian sports took a turn for the best. They're finally realizing that you have to think a certain way to become #1. You can't keep saying that "we all did a good job anyway" when you really wanted the gold medal but managed to come in 4th place. Athletes from here used to be more lackadaisical before learning the Olympics were going to be in Vancouver.
MJBuck
Art Expert

Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:48 pm

Love the Prefontaine. I see that guys image all over the place and that's a nice representation.

I dig the seachickens print too, but the numbering on the jersey is really bothering me. My brother is about as die hard seahawk fan as they come so I might grab that for him.
out and perfect.
norelation wrote:quit with the sniveling and just sell the damn poster. i don't care about your life story, we all got problems. just tell me about bent corners, or if your cat has used it for target practice.
mistersmith wrote:That means I'm going to touch you.
lazk
Art Expert

Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:17 pm

It seems like the artists were not as inspired for this event. Maybe it is bad timing? I guess I was hoping for a more serious take on the history of sports. I guess Danger's piece spoiled me. I still hope it is a success for Mitch.

Is Jensen still depressed?
Last edited by lazk on Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T.K.C.