General art-related discussion.
papaver
Tech Team Member

Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:25 pm

Arterre wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:39 pm
dolamite24 wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:43 am
I'm curious to see what is in store for OBEY in 2020... hopefully more 24" x 36" editions.
Yes! I agree Shep puts more thought and care into the 24/36 recent prints

The way I see it, The bots/ sneaker kids scoop up most of the drop. They are not collectors
so they want to flip all of them , and in a few weeks they are racing for the bottom, looking for lunch money

For me, I am avoiding most of the mediocre prints entirely, and surprised to see how many prints are selling at cost...

I am waiting for good long term prints like " Raise the Level" ,Fan the flames" and buying them at the low ebb
of prices . some have sold very cheap . And I bought several of each on ebay to hang on to
as compared to so many of the boring "yawn" prints , the good ones may be a good investment. Who knows

I wonder , With so much advanced tech out there , why cant the bots be blocked ?

any constructive comments welcome, cheers
re: bots

it's very very hard. there is a ton of fraud online and very smart people dedicated to building software to do it. i mean is there a console out there that hasn't been hacked yet? nothing like a challenge for a hacker with nothing else to do all day. i mean the bot users are just script kiddies using available tools. but it only takes one guy to write the software.
fribhey
Art Expert

Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:00 pm

papaver wrote:
Arterre wrote:
dolamite24 wrote:
I'm curious to see what is in store for OBEY in 2020... hopefully more 24" x 36" editions.

The way I see it, The bots/ sneaker kids scoop up most of the drop. They are not collectors
so they want to flip all of them , and in a few weeks they are racing for the bottom, looking for lunch money

For me, I am avoiding most of the mediocre prints entirely, and surprised to see how many prints are selling at cost...

I am waiting for good long term prints like " Raise the Level" ,Fan the flames" and buying them at the low ebb
of prices . some have sold very cheap . And I bought several of each on ebay to hang on to
as compared to so many of the boring "yawn" prints , the good ones may be a good investment. Who knows

I wonder , With so much advanced tech out there , why cant the bots be blocked ?

it's very very hard. there is a ton of fraud online and very smart people dedicated to building software to do it. i mean is there a console out there that hasn't been hacked yet? nothing like a challenge for a hacker with nothing else to do all day. i mean the bot users are just script kiddies using available tools. but it only takes one guy to write the software.
it’s really not that hard. For one, they can stop using Shopify.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:03 pm

Name a popular e-commerce platform that's not easily compromised.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:19 pm

Codeblue wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:03 pm
Name a popular e-commerce platform that's not easily compromised.
+Name another way to handle the traffic and complete transactions. Shopify is the king for many reasons and that's one of them.
bsharp
Art Expert

Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:27 pm

Commerce platforms are basically just different sets of APIs that can each be automated. It’s not hacking, it’s just software development and writing purchasing bots is not complicated. Actual hackers have more malicious and profitable things to do than to flip posters.
papaver
Tech Team Member

Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:09 am

fribhey wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:00 pm
papaver wrote:
Arterre wrote:
dolamite24 wrote:

it’s really not that hard. For one, they can stop using Shopify.
mahahhahahahahahahahah. good one. you obviously know how to fix the problem.

bots take advantage of patterns. carts and checkouts are easy patterns to mimic. only way to fight bots is to not have patterns. this is certainly possible but comes with a huge cost. using any commercial platform would probably be impossible. then you're back where the web was in the 1990s when everyone is writing their own cart/checkout and dealing with credit cards themselves (which is also a huge headache as you need special vetting to be legal these days). in the end your an artist selling art, not trying to fight bots and write your own tech.
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:33 am

better way to combat would be for random 2nd editions or dont give the release size i.e make some releases sizes huge and burn these mass flippers, in mass ........ they take a few hits and they will be gone like mosquitos in december.

yea collectors wont be happy but you cant have everything.....
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:57 am

papaver wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:09 am

mahahhahahahahahahahah. good one. you obviously know how to fix the problem.

bots take advantage of patterns. carts and checkouts are easy patterns to mimic. only way to fight bots is to not have patterns. this is certainly possible but comes with a huge cost. using any commercial platform would probably be impossible. then you're back where the web was in the 1990s when everyone is writing their own cart/checkout and dealing with credit cards themselves (which is also a huge headache as you need special vetting to be legal these days). in the end your an artist selling art, not trying to fight bots and write your own tech.
This guy techs. You want your site to be inaccessible by anyone including yourself when you want to access your admin? Go right ahead and try something other than Shopify. Maybe Obey should open a store on Amazon. Or maybe it should be ebay, every drop is a Dutch auction from a penny. Top 450 bids get to buy... this is actually a sane solution but they will never try it (gasp! eBay fees!)
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:10 am

Ha, most action this thread has seen in weeks, and it's about anything but the art. lol

You guys do know that Shep drymounting LOVES flippers, right? Sure, he claims to be against it and even does a few things to minimally cut down on flipping, but the bottom line is that HIS bottom line improves with every successful flip. Leads to him being able to charge more and more for future releases. Kinda similar to how he rails against the current political system and claims to be pro-environment and yet he continues to ship everything via Uline, a company that supports all the politicians and policies Shep supposedly hates. So yeah, him leaving Shopify, or really changing anything at all about his current amazingly successful model, will never happen.
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:20 am

Lip service and business, two great tastes that taste great together. Shepard's conscience tells him one thing but his accountants tell him the opposite. If he really wanted to ban all the flippers he would buy every copy on eBay pre and post drop, look at the number, and then ban the person that bought it. They know exactly which number went to who. How many drops would it take to cut eBay listings by 90%? But yeah like egt said, he doesn't *actually* care.
benman3321
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:13 pm

ygolohcysp wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:20 am
Lip service and business, two great tastes that taste great together. Shepard's conscience tells him one thing but his accountants tell him the opposite. If he really wanted to ban all the flippers he would buy every copy on eBay pre and post drop, look at the number, and then ban the person that bought it. They know exactly which number went to who. How many drops would it take to cut eBay listings by 90%? But yeah like egt said, he doesn't *actually* care.
I've said that before of purchasing all the ebay listings. Easiest way to combat the problem, I believe.
And I'd argue that he's unaware of the problem. Constantly making art, doing shows, DJ'ing Murals, interviews, etc. He hired purchasers/ a team of people to do this leg work for him.
applehead
Art Expert

Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:53 pm

Whats the unwritten rule, hold for one year before selling or trading?
bryndavies
Art Expert

It’s like a time machine in here, or rather, a space vacuum, where the same conversations take place for all eternity.
ImageT.K.C.
jjttdw
Art Expert

Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:23 pm

bryndavies wrote:
It’s like a time machine in here, or rather, a space vacuum, where the same conversations take place for all eternity.
Been a while...I thought you died in an Iditarod accident and your dogs ate you.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
GoBluePanic
Art Expert

Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:39 pm

earlgreytoast wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:10 am
Ha, most action this thread has seen in weeks, and it's about anything but the art. lol

You guys do know that Shep drymounting LOVES flippers, right? Sure, he claims to be against it and even does a few things to minimally cut down on flipping, but the bottom line is that HIS bottom line improves with every successful flip. Leads to him being able to charge more and more for future releases. Kinda similar to how he rails against the current political system and claims to be pro-environment and yet he continues to ship everything via Uline, a company that supports all the politicians and policies Shep supposedly hates. So yeah, him leaving Shopify, or really changing anything at all about his current amazingly successful model, will never happen.
Same with just about every artist
I'm not someone else.