Anything OBEY related

General art-related discussion.
bootstrut
Art Expert

Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:34 pm

Codeblue wrote:
Brazzzy wrote:I mean, as long as he isn't unfairly Eelusing people.
Fixed.
:lol:
comountaingolf
Art Expert

Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:26 pm

ygolohcysp wrote:
comountaingolf wrote:Let's just agree to disagree. I read Shep's policy and have no issues with refunding flippers for the quick flip because the result is exactly as he described it. End of the day, it's his print until it drops at the Post. Plus, I love hearing the whine from the flippers who might actually have to get a j o b :lol:

Reselling is a legitimate business endeavor for any individual and can be quite profitable if you know what you're doing. I've found that public Messages like these only serve as attempts to discourage casual competition.
Sure. And it ties directly into what Shep was describing with the aftermarket, so at least we agree on that :lol:
Jim Carr wrote:The fans are standing up to them! The security guards are standing up to them! The peanut vendors are standing up to them!
> THC X 9 <
HenryGaleWasHere
Art Expert

Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:19 pm

Can we at least get a questionnaire to fill out before the drop like ABOVE so he knows who the TrueFansTM are?
jjttdw
Art Expert

Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:43 pm

Odd that the eBay policy popped up again today on the Obey site. If they really wanted to go after people who flip Obey they would use alts to buy prints being flipped by those who do it repeatedly then issue a ban. People are even too smart for that with multiple PayPal accounts and what not.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
dundun
Art Connoisseur

Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:49 pm

Shepard purposefully releases his prints at a low price point to hookup his fans who can't afford his originals. He knows exactly what he's doing. He could raise his prices to a fair market value right now to completely thwart flippers, but he chooses to go the route he's on now(banning insta-flips and keeping prices low) to stay true to his ideals. To boot Shepard is on the record saying that he puts the print money back into his art and it's used to buy pasters/supplies for the murals/street work.

The real question is how many people would've really bought the last image if the price point was $300+?
jjttdw
Art Expert

Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:56 pm

At $300 that image sits like big proof. His fine art used to be priced below market but a lot of that now sells near cost. Album covers are a good example. Higher edition sizes and just a ton of images. 122 images between Moontower/Dance Floor and 50 Shades with editions of 8 for 1k HPMs available.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
canuck
Art Freak

Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:03 pm

I'd say he releases his prints at the going rate for a primary market. Maybe MAYBE a lil on the cheaper side but not really. He prints on cheap/thin paper. And it's not like these prints are crazy hard to screen. It's all about the message right?

The man has a serious market. He can double/triple prices and like you said, it would only hurt the people collecting cuz they will pay either way. People love their obey propaganda. It's cool he wants to go after flippers. But what about the flippers Shep that are living out of their car and can't afford food?! :evil:
Last edited by canuck on Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stuckeyc
Art Expert

Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:05 pm

It's like a flashback..things shipping the day after ordering and a reminder how shep feels about flippers.
jjttdw
Art Expert

Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:15 pm

Does he still make people sign something saying they won't sell the fine art piece they bought within 3 years?
RPuzio77
Art Connoisseur

Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:13 am

I say flip away, follow his capitalistic lead!! Oh thats right, sure he doesn't make money on these he's doing it for his "Ideals".
choke
Art Expert

Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:43 pm

jjttdw wrote: Give it time. The first flippers do the best off those butt hurt on missing out. Some people wait to get the print in hand before selling. By that time most buyers have lost interest and the undercutting begins. Mid January I think these will be at or under $100.
ISO: Mid January
ashely
Art Enthusiast

Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:50 pm

canuck
Art Freak

Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:51 pm

Brazzzy wrote:hmmm, I'm sure the 'flipping' conversation has never occurred on this board, so let's have one now. :lol:

Artist wants to refund people trying for the instaflip to discourage the behavior? what's wrong with that? Since he doesn't want to release bigger editions or raise prices, this seems like the best way to free up a few prints for the non-flipper fans, no? who really has an issue with this policy? I mean, as long as he isn't unfairly banning people.
Bigger editions? His editions are huge. Is 450 average not big enough for ya? No need to go all Mike Mitchell up in here and kill your own market.
MYart
New User

Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:21 am

Hi All,
First time on this forum,

Have been interested in Fairey's work and was looking around places to buy online. I saw a Vive Le Rock and Peace & Freedom, signed and numbered print on Christies auction site last month and the combined estimate for these was $3000-5000.

https://onlineonly.christies.com/s/prin ... k-24/37514

Have Christies grossly over estimated the price on this? Is there something which makes the Christies one so much more?

Where is a good place to get a good price value ball-park figure for his work?
bigmuls
Art Expert

Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:03 pm

Here we go! :lurk: