Anything OBEY related

General art-related discussion.
dodgers77
Art Expert

Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:15 pm

Definitely a total flippers market on these. Dislike the pro bot system. Oh well, on too the next one !
mattlew69
Art Expert

Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:27 pm

Just wait it out...the feeding frenzy will fade and these funko flippers will start flailing and dropping prices to beat each other to that happy meal prize.
bsharp
Art Expert

Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:45 pm

I first heard Social Distortion in 1985, and I was immediately struck by their punk power and rebellious themes delivered with an undeniable melodic appeal. I begged my parents to buy me the first Social Distortion album “Mommy’s Little Monster." My parents hated punk, so when they asked me if the music was punk, I lied and said “no, it’s New Wave." I listened to the album non-stop and a lot of the themes… freedom, generation gaps, questioning authority, sub-cultural community, etc… really resonated with me. As a frustrated teen, I especially related to the line, “I love the sound when I smash the glass… if I get caught they’re gonna kick my ass” from the song “Telling Them." That line always stuck with me and was the first thing that came to mind when Mike Ness asked me to create a poster for Social Distortion’s 40th anniversary.

I’ve seen Social Distortion many times over the years, and I’ve watched first hand as they evolved from a more conventional punk sound to a broader sound and definition of punk that includes nods to early Rolling Stones and Johnny Cash… artists who pushed social boundaries and outlaw themes. I remember hearing the band’s song, “Story of my Life” on the radio in 1990, pre-Grunge, and thinking to myself, “what a coup… what a triumph, that these guys infiltrated rock radio." In my opinion, Social Distortion shattered a glass ceiling and did what few bands can do: they found broad appeal without abandoning their punk roots or watering down their sound. Social Distortion remains an amazing live band and has put out great music consistently over 40 years. Thank you, Social Distortion, for the music, the inspiration, and for 40 years of smashing the glass!
-Shepard

Social Distortion 40. Screenprint on cream Speckle Tone Paper. 18 x 24 inches. Signed by Shepard Fairey. Numbered edition of 600. $50. Available on Thursday, November 21st @ 10 AM PDT at store.obeygiant.com/collections/prints. Max order: 1 per customer/household. *Orders are not guaranteed as demand is high and inventory is limited.* Multiple orders will be refunded. International customers are responsible for import fees due upon delivery.⁣ ALL SALES FINAL.
stuckeyc
Art Expert

Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:52 pm

Anybody order anything from the Vancouver iteration of the retrospective? I have a question
butter80
Art Connoisseur

Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:35 pm

Discord cook groups filled with 16 yr old kids are responsible. The game has changed for the worse. It’s only getting worse, trust.
Karma is coming Monkey boy! watch yourself...
butter80
Art Connoisseur

Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:39 pm

Karma is coming Monkey boy! watch yourself...
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:31 am

Luls. Discord cook groups?
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
KingOfNothing
Art Connoisseur

Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:02 am

Amazing! I picked up my son from school today and he mentioned that his friends and the cook group he is subscribed to - yes, he pays a monthly fee to be a part of a group that "cooks" mostly clothing and shoes, but they'll "bot" anything that will flip on the secondary. They went after this print today and had a decent amount of success amongst the subscribers. And his best friend, who I've actually known since they were in grade school together, he runs a bot farm and was successful in grabbing 4 of these prints today for himself. With no refunds! To say I was disappointed hearing this is an understatement. Because this is the first time my son mentioned that his friend was actually kind of a big deal in this cook group community and he's not even 18 years old! It turns out that hey don't care about school (no surprise there), they only care about the thrill of scoring drops. It's like a video game to these kids. The one who "cops" the most wins. And they'll post bragging pics on snapchat of all the product they've scored.

The grossest aspect is (I just found this out) his friend that runs the bots can spoof a single legit credit card number to appear to be hundreds or thousands of different numbers associated with an "apartment number" hack. It's a hack that has just as many original physical addresses as it does credit card numbers that is entirely undetectable by you guess it - Shopify. It turns out, Shopify is one of the easiest commerce sites to run bots on. And these kids have almost every single student in their high school in on it too. Utilizing all their friends and families addresses to ship to. It's stunning how much effort they've put into making a rolodex network of addresses to ship to. They've truly made it impossible to police by people like Shepard/Obey.
NEVER FORGET Image 02/14/14
Je préfère mourir sur mes pieds que de vivre à genoux
HenryGaleWasHere
Art Expert

Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:37 am

How many Banksy's did they cop?
benman3321
Art Connoisseur

Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:21 am

Just don't buy from them.
bubbie
Art Expert

Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:05 am

Kids these days.

Luls.
ToonKiller
Art Expert

Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:08 am

Every Obey drop I missed recently was easily gotten at cost on Ebay a week or more after said drop. Smart kids are still kids and can’t float $65 long enough before they need to hurry up and recoup.
Last edited by ToonKiller on Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mattlew69
Art Expert

Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:57 am

I need me to find a funko cook group. I wants all the funkos.

https://www.reddit.com/r/shoebots/comme ... ok_groups/
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:06 pm

Luls. I'm officially old af.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
Kdh12
Art Freak

Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:14 pm

+1 old
mmmm Beer :pint: