Anything OBEY related

General art-related discussion.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:42 pm

Woah. Thought ya were a big shep duke. Guess not anymore.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
Kdh12
Art Freak

Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:36 pm

fribhey wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:23 pm
maddog76 wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 2:27 am
Does Shepard Fairey not understand the volume of fossil fuels burned to generate the electricity for his NFT bullshit?
Do you honestly think he cares about half the things he writes about? It’s easier to sell art when you pretend to be an activist about every possible issue in the world.
Yes he probably does, all? maybe not
mmmm Beer :pint:
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:56 pm

I imagine he cares, but isn't personally willing to do much about it other than "raise awareness", which seems to be about par for the course.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
jjttdw
Art Expert

Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:07 am

Codeblue wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:56 pm
I imagine he cares, but isn't personally willing to do much about it other than "raise awareness", which seems to be about par for the course.
Bingo. This is true of most people who pretend to give a fudge. See al gore and global warming. I ain’t gonna fudge on Shep because what he does to raise awareness and money for good causes is way more than a vast majority of the rest of us.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:23 am

He’s also very approachable and friendly given his “stature” in the art world.
fribhey
Art Expert

Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:41 am

Codeblue wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:42 pm
Woah. Thought ya were a big shep duke. Guess not anymore.
I’m a fan and have been since the 90s… it just gets exhausting that he’s an activist for every issue in the world. Every time he releases a music related print it’s “I’ve been a big fan of theirs my whole life,” every time there’s a social/political issue it’s “I’ve been a big supporter of this my whole life.” He knows how to market and he knows what sells. A lot of it is low hanging fruit - add an oil icon and bam, anti big oil companies, add a dollar sign and bam, anti big business, add a fist and bam, power to the people. It just feels shallow and like a broken record sometimes. Rinse and repeat. I would LOVE for him to put something out and just say “this doesn’t mean anything, I just loved how it looked.”
fribhey
Art Expert

Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:43 am

Codeblue wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:23 am
He’s also very approachable and friendly given his “stature” in the art world.
That he is. Super friendly and approachable… unlike Kaws, for example, who is a dick
bsharp
Art Expert

Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:00 am

fribhey wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:41 am
I would LOVE for him to put something out and just say “this doesn’t mean anything, I just loved how it looked.”
He has done that at least a couple times:
I think these look nice as stand alone prints, not just repeat patterns, so I’m releasing a 100 print edition of eight versions. I’m happy with the blue variations that make sense with the expanded color palette of my more recent art.
https://obeygiant.com/floral-harmony-fu ... ruary-4th/

Same deal here: https://obeygiant.com/floral-takeover-2 ... vail-0314/
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:02 pm

Ya I thought that was an odd comment. It’s obvious that many of the pattern prints have no political motive.
Kdh12
Art Freak

Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:16 pm

#savethefloralarrangements
mmmm Beer :pint:
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:40 pm

Yeah it's weird to me that someone would complain about him bringing up the same issues over and over, as if that nullifies the message. It's like complaining that he uses too much black red and gold in his work. Repetition is the core basis of his entire career. Read the manifesto!

His continued massive use of Uline products seems like the ultimate hypocrisy but I do thing he honestly gives a fudge about things like campaign finance reform and environmental issues. I also think Amanda has at least some of an effect on what he produces. these days and has for years. But ultimately he's just a skate punk with passion.
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:41 pm

earlgreytoast wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:40 pm
Yeah it's weird to me that someone would complain about him bringing up the same issues over and over, as if that nullifies the message. It's like complaining that he uses too much black red and gold in his work. Repetition is the core basis of his entire career. Read the manifesto!

His continued massive use of Uline products seems like the ultimate hypocrisy but I do thing he honestly gives a fudge about things like campaign finance reform and environmental issues. I also think Amanda has at least some of an effect on what he produces. these days and has for years. But ultimately he's just a skate punk with passion.
Uline is just tough to compete with. You don't get a down jacket for free when you order $5k worth of tubes from Yazoo. And they definitely don't show up the next day 😂
stuckeyc
Art Expert

Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:29 pm

Just opened up the pattern set. The red/gold is far and away the best of the bunch. I really like the blue too
The gold on white is too washed out and the colors on black are too electric. The classic colorways are, well, classic. All in all Nice set
jordanonthereg
Art Connoisseur

Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:38 pm

stuckeyc wrote:
Just opened up the pattern set. The red/gold is far and away the best of the bunch. I really like the blue too
The gold on white is too washed out and the colors on black are too electric. The classic colorways are, well, classic. All in all Nice set
It's hard to pick a favorite out of this set...Love the white flowers w/ blue background way more than I thought I would!
247fart69
Art Enthusiast

Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:57 pm

jordanonthereg wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:38 pm
stuckeyc wrote:
It's hard to pick a favorite out of this set...Love the white flowers w/ blue background way more than I thought I would!
Post a pic, that would be cool to see:)