General art-related discussion.
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Mon May 13, 2019 3:51 pm

Codeblue wrote:
ygolohcysp wrote:
bsharp wrote:
ygolohcysp wrote:No one here monitors the site? What year do we live in
You're not wrong. But I mean... cancelling bot/flipper orders and then putting them back up without announcing it in any way is just asking for bots to snatch them back up. I don't know what they're doing over there.
Almost two minutes to sell out. Doesn't sound like bots to me
Not really. 30 secs tops. #iwasthere
Ha so was I. 12:44:55 in stock. 12:46:12 sold out. Ok so maybe closer to a minute. If bots bought them all it would be five seconds tops.
fribhey
Art Expert

Mon May 13, 2019 4:17 pm

ygolohcysp wrote:
Codeblue wrote:
ygolohcysp wrote: Almost two minutes to sell out. Doesn't sound like bots to me
Ha so was I. 12:44:55 in stock. 12:46:12 sold out. Ok so maybe closer to a minute. If bots bought them all it would be five seconds tops.
page monitors ARE bots, they just aren't fully automated. if you knew about this drop when it happened and/or was able to grab a print, you're using a bot.
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Mon May 13, 2019 4:26 pm

fribhey wrote:
ygolohcysp wrote:
Codeblue wrote:
page monitors ARE bots, they just aren't fully automated. if you knew about this drop when it happened and/or was able to grab a print, you're using a bot.
I don't disagree with you frib, but I think most people here when taking about bots are referring to automatically buying. I fully support the use of bots, why wouldn't you, especially ones that help you to spring into action when the time is right.
toobs
Art Expert

Mon May 13, 2019 4:50 pm

dang was making lunch oh well :hanging:
Codeblue wrote:Ya know they'll put out at least 1 "ZOMG gotta rub mah nuts on another dukes butt to get in line for it" poster.
DMBfan
Art Expert

Tue May 14, 2019 9:32 am

cktbreaker wrote:
DMBfan wrote:Might have kept that to myself. They're going to love the emails they get now. :roll:
Before this guy, no one EVER cried to obey for a print.
Thanks chief. Not the point.
showbeagle
Art Connoisseur

Wed May 15, 2019 11:38 am

bsharp wrote:
ygolohcysp wrote:No one here monitors the site? What year do we live in
You're not wrong. But I mean... cancelling bot/flipper orders and then putting them back up without announcing it in any way is just asking for bots to snatch them back up. I don't know what they're doing over there.
geka
Art Enthusiast

Thu May 16, 2019 8:24 am

geka wrote:75 available on bay - never seen more...and already 34 sold
93 sold - 107 available
soupysound
EB Team

Thu May 16, 2019 9:27 am

thanks for keeping us updated on this useful info :roll:
GoBluePanic
Art Expert

Thu May 16, 2019 11:34 am

fribhey wrote:
ygolohcysp wrote:
Codeblue wrote:
It's a pretty big leap from page monitor to something that monitors, carts, and successfully checks out with no involvement by the user. I don't know why you wouldn't use a page monitor for some sites.
I'm not someone else.
toobs
Art Expert

Thu May 16, 2019 11:58 am

GoBluePanic wrote:
fribhey wrote:
ygolohcysp wrote:
Codeblue wrote: Not really. 30 secs tops. #iwasthere
It's a pretty big leap from page monitor to something that monitors, carts, and successfully checks out with no involvement by the user. I don't know why you wouldn't use a page monitor for some sites.
agreed, all web browsers put out page monitor add-ons for many purposes other then snagging sh!t to flip, while bots do the above mentioned for 100s of accounts if needed at once, all while manipulating the check out process for others not using said bots giving us errors and making it virtually impossible to land a print. Sure a Ford Fiesta and Ferrari 812 Superfast are cars...
Codeblue wrote:Ya know they'll put out at least 1 "ZOMG gotta rub mah nuts on another dukes butt to get in line for it" poster.
ryan916
Art Connoisseur

Thu May 16, 2019 12:19 pm

toobs wrote:
Ha so was I. 12:44:55 in stock. 12:46:12 sold out. Ok so maybe closer to a minute. If bots bought them all it would be five seconds tops.[/quote]
page monitors ARE bots, they just aren't fully automated. if you knew about this drop when it happened and/or was able to grab a print, you're using a bot.[/quote]

It's a pretty big leap from page monitor to something that monitors, carts, and successfully checks out with no involvement by the user. I don't know why you wouldn't use a page monitor for some sites.[/quote]
agreed, all web browsers put out page monitor add-ons for many purposes other then snagging sh!t to flip, while bots do the above mentioned for 100s of accounts if needed at once, all while manipulating the check out process for others not using said bots giving us errors and making it virtually impossible to land a print. Sure a Ford Fiesta and Ferrari 812 Superfast are cars...[/quote]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If bots could make purchases for 100s of accounts at once, then less than 10 people with bots could buy up pretty much every print release from every artist/gallery.

I'd guess it is possible, just not logistically for most people.

There was a Mondobot going around a few years ago for a previous version of their site. I was told lots of people had it. I saw it work for Stout Goonies. It monitored, carted, and took you to checkout, but you did have to submit the order manually.

If so many people had the bot, I guess they were just big collectors and not flippers or greedy at all because otherwise no one without a bot could've got one by ebeans logic, and it doesn't make sense that people with bots aren't going for multiples.
bsharp
Art Expert

Thu May 16, 2019 3:16 pm

Edition of 89 - a lottery of 10 followed by an online drop of the other 79.

For much of my career I only made 18 x 24-inch screen prints of my images, so for this series I have created 30 x 41-inch fine art prints on custom paper. This series will be the first time many of these images are available as nicer art pieces. It has been fun to revisit older images utilizing the broader palette of techniques I’ve developed over the years. To kick things off, I’ll be starting by releasing newer images and spanning back to some art that hasn’t been seen for a while.

I’ve touched upon the abuse of authority by police and racism with several images that I created over the years, but since this series of 30th-anniversary works is only 30 images, I chose “Bias by Numbers” as an important piece that features an intersection of those concerns.

“Bias by Numbers” addresses racial bias in policing, criminal justice, and media culture. Racial bias in policing and criminal justice has a long history, including stats like – black people being five times more likely to be stopped and searched than white people, and four times more likely to be subjected to unnecessary use of force, or four times more likely to be killed by the police when unarmed. The statistics revealing racial bias in prosecution and sentencing are compelling as well. Though recreational drug use is equally common in both predominantly black communities and predominantly white communities, convictions for drug possession are almost six times higher for blacks. Blacks frequently receive longer prison sentences than whites contributing to African Americans being incarcerated at more than five times the rate of whites.

Racial bias in police enforcement undermines public trust and presents a significant threat to the legitimacy of law enforcement in all communities. However, racial bias as a police issue may be intensified by other cultural factors which are both overt and insidious. Media characterizations of black protesters use words such as “agitators,” “lawless thugs,” “hoodlums” and many more, whereas descriptions of white protesters typically read as individuals “exercising free speech,” “expressing their convictions,” and “showing what democracy looks like.” I hope this art doesn’t just appeal visually but allows viewers to look at the layers of information and facts and think about how to make positive changes to patterns of injustice.

– Shepard

Print Details:

Bias by Numbers. Serigraph on 100% Cotton Custom Archival Paper with hand-deckled edges. 30 x 41 inches. Signed by Shepard Fairey. Numbered edition of 89. $900. A portion of proceeds will be donated to Black Lives Matter. Available Tuesday, May 21st @ 10 AM PDT at store.obeygiant.com/collections/prints. Max order: 1 per customer/household. *Orders are not guaranteed as demand is high and inventory is limited.* Multiple orders will be refunded. International customers are responsible for import fees due upon delivery.⁣
bontakun
Art Enthusiast

Thu May 16, 2019 3:27 pm

I joined the lottery before realizing the print was $900
kansasbbq
Art God

Thu May 16, 2019 3:28 pm

Looks nice, but I don't $900 like it.
Codeblue wrote:#whydidntilisten2kbbq
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu May 16, 2019 3:39 pm

bontakun wrote:I joined the lottery before realizing the print was $900
Luls.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.