Anything OBEY related

General art-related discussion.
Kramerica
Art Freak

Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:05 pm

I think if it comes down to him supporting uline to save a couple bucks it makes his anti-capitalist rhetoric hollow. His messaging seems to promote ethics over profit and being a socially conscious consumer. In that way, supporting a company like uline does appear hypocritical.

What's lulsy is thinking making prints on paper is somehow hurting the environment. It is a renewable resource. They aren't slashing the amazon for paper.
Last edited by Kramerica on Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
bulkhead72
Art Expert

Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:06 pm

I don't think comparing this to eating Chick-fil-A is lulsy. I can support company X or Y with my money, but it doesn't mean that I necessarily agree with their owner on fundamental issues.

Similarly, assuming Shepard is aware that the owners of Uline are big conservative donors, he can use Uline for his business, but it doesn't necessarily mean that he agrees with the owners on fundamental issues. We can separate those things; no need to politicize everything.

Watch, if he changes tube brands and the rate of damaged prints goes up, he'll wish he just stuck with Uline. :lol:

If it ain't broke...
plaink
Art Expert

Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:18 pm

In the scheme of things the value of Fairey's message exceeds its paper usage and if he quit tomorrow it wouldn't really save that much fuel. Just feels like pointing out that Bernie is a millionaire or FDR was born rich.

But his support of Uline is a complete joke. It’s unnecessary and works as a reminder every time you open a tube of how clueless the guy is. That’s not just some billionaire he’s supporting, as Blue points out, the company is a major part of the ecosystem of horseshit that Fairey’s constantly writing his earnest screeds against.

So derpy.
partpat
Art Freak

Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:22 pm

Yes the least he could do is #boycottULINE
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:45 pm

bulkhead72 wrote:I don't think comparing this to eating Chick-fil-A is lulsy. I can support company X or Y with my money, but it doesn't mean that I necessarily agree with their owner on fundamental issues.

Similarly, assuming Shepard is aware that the owners of Uline are big conservative donors, he can use Uline for his business, but it doesn't necessarily mean that he agrees with the owners on fundamental issues. We can separate those things; no need to politicize everything.

Watch, if he changes tube brands and the rate of damaged prints goes up, he'll wish he just stuck with Uline. :lol:

If it ain't broke...
It's completely different unless your entire business identity is built around supporting marriage equality. If it was, and the CEO/brand ambassador ate at Chik-Fil-A, they'd be a huge fuggin EBer. Imagine if Shep drove around LA in a hummer all the time. Obey is paying 10's of thousands (or more) a year to a company that donates millions of dollars to every single cause that goes against their (alleged) own brand identity. Also, scale matters.
Last edited by Codeblue on Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
chalkdust
Art Expert

Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:50 pm

I hate it when you're right
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:51 pm

Luls. Why tho? #imalmostalwaysritetho
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
bulkhead72
Art Expert

Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:55 pm

We are assuming that Obey is aware of who Uline’s owners are. Even if Obey wanted to go with a different supplier, there might be logistical, monetary and/or contractual factors that we’re just not privy to. It’s possible that they’ve weighed the pros and cons and have decided to stick with Uline. We don’t know. But I do know that Shepard has gotten most things right, and that’s good enough for me.
Kramerica
Art Freak

Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:07 pm

All you know about him is what he sold you. :wink:
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
plaink
Art Expert

Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:08 pm

If he is unaware, he should stop thanking other people for caring.
bulkhead72
Art Expert

Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:36 pm

Kramerica wrote:All you know about him is what he sold you. :wink:
toobs
Art Expert

Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:27 am

Codeblue wrote:Ya know they'll put out at least 1 "ZOMG gotta rub mah nuts on another dukes butt to get in line for it" poster.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:08 am

bulkhead72 wrote: I'm OK with eating Chick-fil-A fries every once in a while.
Fries? Who goes to Chick fil a for the fries? Gimme dat hate chicken sammie.

bulkhead72 wrote:Assuming Shepard is aware that the owners of Uline are big conservative donors, he can use Uline for his business, but it doesn't necessarily mean that he agrees with the owners on fundamental issues. We can separate those things; no need to politicize everything.
I do agree that there is no need to politicize EVERYTHING. But the fact that Shep leans so heavily on his political rhetoric, in part to sell his products, combined with the fact that he sells so. many. products, means that he really should use a different company for the packaging of the very items that keep his company so successful - the prints. Comparing that to you as an individual buying hate fries every week or 3 is, as some joker put it, lulsy.

All that being said, Shep has lined the drymount out of my pockets and my walls, so I'm not gonna make a big stink out of it or stop buying Obey. But I agree with King of Nothing - there is hypocrisy there.
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
ccsmd598
Art Expert

Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:16 am

earlgreytoast wrote:All that being said, Shep has lined the drymount out of my pockets and my walls, so I'm not gonna make a big stink out of it or stop buying Obey
sweet flex!
Ya'll see the leprechaun say yaaaaaa!
GoBluePanic
Art Expert

Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:33 am

bulkhead72 wrote:We are assuming that Obey is aware of who Uline’s owners are. Even if Obey wanted to go with a different supplier, there might be logistical, monetary and/or contractual factors that we’re just not privy to. It’s possible that they’ve weighed the pros and cons and have decided to stick with Uline. We don’t know. But I do know that Shepard has gotten most things right, and that’s good enough for me.
I respect your opinion but I think you are being naive about this particular situation. Everyone that says it's hypocritical and antithetical to his messaging is correct. Shep is one of the few in the industry that has the power to make things change due to his volume, popularity, and reach.
I'm not someone else.