Anything OBEY related

General art-related discussion.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:35 pm

Tl;dr
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
ajmmck
Art Expert

Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:44 pm

Codeblue wrote:Tl;dr
Buy high, sell low
fallstaff
Art Connoisseur

Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:04 pm

KingOfNothing wrote:Meh, hardly “the most iconic image” from the band or that of Ian… AND it might not even be Ian Curtis’ image he’s using here (there’s no mention that it is) although I do think it is. It's a still pict from an obscure live performance at a tiny club in Manchester they played at about a year prior to his suicide. If it is Ian’s picture that is in this print I would hope Shep paid a royalty to Ian’s widow and the photographer/videographer who he’s borrowing the image from, but highly I doubt that too because none of that is mentioned in the details. We only get a loose “inspired by” reference in the sales description.

Obey wearing kids and fans of JD/New Order don’t run in the same circles. At least not as much as Shep would hope that they do. 99.999% of Shep's “Demo” don't know who or what Joy Division is. Fact is, Shep's majority fan base, the Zummies-mall-crowd-wanna-be-douche-bag-hipsters who shop at Hot Topic/Urban Outfitters might know of the cover from Unknown Pleasures (definitely JD's most well known image/T-shirt) because it's worn by every 10th grader in high school but that’s about as close as the crossover gets.

As far as it being the most 'iconic" or recognizable image of Ian Curtis that Shep is using here. If Shep had used the better known image of Ian holding the mic right in front of his mouth (from the same gig) it would be more recognizable or even the radio waves from Unknown Pleasures but even Shep knows better to even bother approaching the remaining members of JD/NO or Peter Saville for permission to use that graphic because it would be borderline blasphemy. It’s one thing if he appropriates an image to plaster on the streets as a one-off, it’s another if he uses it for profit from print sales without compensating those involved. And show this to any JD fan without telling them the name of the print and ask them who they see, they’re more likely to say it’s the actor from 2001 a Space Oddessy.

Agree on the sarcastic flip potential, albeit small, but it does short-term flip mainly because of Andre not at all because of Ian. Long-term value, barely even money.
Shep may have introduced a bit of playful subversion in the image, riffing on punks favoring an androgynous look — image flips back and forth between male and female, or say between the borrowed images of Curtis and Bardot.

GoBluePanic
Art Expert

Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:20 pm

I could be way off base here but conflating print collectors and those who buy Obey clothing at Urban Outfitters seems like a pretty big leap :lol:

In fact I don't think I've ever seen a kid wearing Obey clothing and thought, "man, i bet he's got some sick prints!" Usually quite the opposite to be honest.

I think the demo that collects prints is very likely to understand the reference and know who JD is.
I'm not someone else.
bsharp
Art Connoisseur

Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:30 pm

Obey x Invader screenprint released in Paris only in a couple days.

Kramerica
Art Freak

Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:33 pm

That's the print?
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:45 pm

Luls.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
DMBfan
Art Expert

Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:47 pm

needs a paint splash for the three way
soupysound
Art Expert

Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:49 pm

FTFY :lol:
andyfarrimond
Art Connoisseur

Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:52 pm

soupysound wrote:Image

FTFY :lol:
That's quite an improvement!!
xangelx
Art Expert

Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:10 pm

Have no FOMO on this, the print sucks.
"If I could fly high above the world, would I see a bunch of living dots spell the word stupidity" - Bad Religion
bsharp
Art Connoisseur

Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:15 pm

xangelx wrote:Have no FOMO on this, the print sucks.
Yeah, not too keen on it myself.
toobs
Art Expert

Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:26 pm

xangelx wrote:Have no FOMO on this, the print sucks.
until it sells for $1k eBay then ... ?
Codeblue wrote:Ya know they'll put out at least 1 "ZOMG gotta rub mah nuts on another dukes butt to get in line for it" poster.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:44 pm

the shirt should be the print. Put some emboss on dat ish. EBers would be soiling their drawers left and right.
bulkhead72
Art Expert

Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:08 pm

I just stopped by to say: oof.