Anything OBEY related

General art-related discussion.
User avatar
ciphe
Art Expert
Posts: 1328
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:51 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:26 pm

Jasper73 wrote:
gorkie wrote:
The internets great, picture clipped
image.jpeg
nip slip NSFW :shock:
User avatar
MaxCollinsII
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 338
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:42 pm

Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:37 pm

Arterre wrote:New Golden age of Shepard Fairey

I believe this body of 9 prints represents the now advanced state of Shepard’s work
in realizing compelling figurative imagery, utilizing attractive colors, sharp design compositions ,
while addressing important topics of our day. With his street roots on walls with torn paper
where the images compete against noise, but the verbal message still powerfullu communicates .
I think history will see this as a start in his mature work . I invite everyone’s constructive comments
and would love to hear others opinions

1.Drink Crude oil 2/17
2.ideal Power 5/17
3. Welcome Visitors. 5/17
4. Target Exceptions. 6/17
5 Bias by Numbers. 7/17
6. Golden Future. 10/17
7. Wrong Path. 11/17
8 Oil Lotus Woman. 1/18
9. Embrace Justice. 1/18
Image
The moment I saw Drink Crude Oil I knew I wanted it. This new fresh, colorful, vibrant style got my attention instantly, I really like this stylistic direction Shepard and his team are going. Went out of my way to get each one of these. Thanks to three different members for helping make it happen. I played around in photoshop with the images and here is what I came up with. Embrace Justice just didn't work with this group.
The Original Pure Hemp Rolling Papers NOT Made In CHINA Unlike A Lot Of Our Competitors

PartPat: "All of Eb is one big mondo joke really."
User avatar
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus
Posts: 52227
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:50 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:39 pm

They do look really nice together.
So it goes...
bsharp
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 612
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:54 pm

Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:54 pm

MaxCollinsII wrote:The moment I saw Drink Crude Oil I knew I wanted it. This new fresh, colorful, vibrant style got my attention instantly, I really like this stylistic direction Shepard and his team are going. Went out of my way to get each one of these. Thanks to three different members for helping make it happen. I played around in photoshop with the images and here is what I came up with. Embrace Justice just didn't work with this group.
That's a great arrangement.

While Oil Lotus Woman doesn't seem to get a lot of love here, in person it's quite bold; the eyes really draw you in. I understand your omission of Embrace Justice (and Fossil Factory, but it's not a portrait). All together these form a really solid lineup.
User avatar
Kdh12
Art Freak
Posts: 10880
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:00 am
Location: Here

Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:02 pm

Like always there is some great ones and some duds

Take out the duds.
mmmm Beer :pint:
User avatar
Arterre
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 105
Joined: Sat May 20, 2017 2:08 am

Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:34 am

bsharp wrote:
MaxCollinsII wrote:The moment I saw Drink Crude Oil I knew I wanted it. This new fresh, colorful, vibrant style got my attention instantly, I really like this stylistic direction Shepard and his team are going. Went out of my way to get each one of these. Thanks to three different members for helping make it happen. I played around in photoshop with the images and here is what I came up with. Embrace Justice just didn't work with this group.
That's a great arrangement.

While Oil Lotus Woman doesn't seem to get a lot of love here, in person it's quite bold; the eyes really draw you in. I understand your omission of Embrace Justice (and Fossil Factory, but it's not a portrait). All together these form a really solid lineup.
Thanks Maxcollins for putting the group together , in a gallery they would be spaced apart , but I like the intensity of them clustered.
Late hour Riot belongs, but I love Oil Lotus Woman framed in my home , and I think the detailing at colors bring it into the group.
However, Drink Crude remains one of my favorite Fairey prints... I think it works on many levels...
Attractive female portrait, creative torn paper composition, yet with hard edge warning stripe elements
clever statement, coca cola pop art reference , primary colors, :clap: firing on 12 cylinders :clap:
It was his first of the series, and cleverly constructed...
User avatar
ToonKiller
Art Expert
Posts: 1931
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:24 pm
Location: High Plains Drifter

Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:41 am

Really nice grouped together!

Wrong Path is prob my least favorite. Half hinding behind a leaf and the burning hand are just odd.
User avatar
soupysound
EB Trainee
Posts: 3796
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:38 pm

Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:50 am

when crude oil was released... i thought it looked odd as it was a departure for shep (thought it looked like a lot like the faile torn print releases). late hour riot still stands out as odd without any gold/orange/yellow.
Image
stuckeyc
Art Expert
Posts: 5612
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 1:00 am

Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:13 am

i love late hour riot. ideal power is the worst of the bunch imo. the lips/moustache/California shaped blob is a bit of an eyesore, and is right in the middle of the print.
Image
User avatar
GoBluePanic
Art Expert
Posts: 2501
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:42 am

Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:03 pm

mfaith wrote:They do look really nice together.
/\/\
I'm not someone else.
bsharp
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 612
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:54 pm

Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:16 pm

soupysound wrote:late hour riot still stands out as odd without any gold/orange/yellow.
Next to the current Damaged prints it looks a bit out of context, but for the Damaged show it was beside the collage versions of Greater than Fear and Defend Dignity, which have a similar palette. They would look great as prints, but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't get made.

Image
User avatar
GoBluePanic
Art Expert
Posts: 2501
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:42 am

Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:43 pm

I really need to get an HPM or OG (eventually) from the studio.

Those OG's are so perfect. The Damaged show had some that I really liked that were not too crazy.
I'm not someone else.
User avatar
Arterre
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 105
Joined: Sat May 20, 2017 2:08 am

Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:27 pm

Here is a painting I did in acrylics when I lived in Asia , I used some crude hand cut stencils . I like to
explore Portraits with abstraction . This is why I especially like this body of Shepard’s work .
Last edited by Arterre on Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
SPAC04
Art Expert
Posts: 2717
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:10 pm
Location: New York

Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:37 pm

MaxCollinsII wrote: Image
I would not consider myself a Shep/obey fan by any means, but these look pretty great displayed as a mosaic or w/e ^
User avatar
butter80
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 363
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:53 pm

Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:06 pm

These are great, target exceptions and crude oil are my favs tho.
Karma is coming Monkey boy! watch yourself...
Post Reply