Anything OBEY related

General art-related discussion.
bulkhead72
Art Expert

Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:59 pm

jjttdw wrote:
Target just reminds me of a campy show from the 70s.

Anyone remember it??
No idea where that's from, but I love the image even more now. :lol:
bulkhead72
Art Expert

Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:00 pm

Arterre wrote:New Golden age of Shepard Fairey

I believe this body of 9 prints represents the now advanced state of Shepard’s work
in realizing compelling figurative imagery, utilizing attractive colors, sharp design compositions ,
while addressing important topics of our day. With his street roots on walls with torn paper
where the images compete against noise, but the verbal message still powerfullu communicates .
I think history will see this as a start in his mature work . I invite everyone’s constructive comments
and would love to hear others opinions

1.Drink Crude oil 2/17
2.ideal Power 5/17
3. Welcome Visitors. 5/17
4. Target Exceptions. 6/17
5 Bias by Numbers. 7/17
6. Golden Future. 10/17
7. Wrong Path. 11/17
8 Oil Lotus Woman. 1/18
9. Embrace Justice. 1/18

About me... I’m a painter, art collector and art history buff. I never gave Fairey’s work much thought
as it seemed more like poster/ rock art than serious fine art . When I first saw and bought “Drink Crude Oil,
my opinion changed, deeply studied his catalog and bought 60 prints in the last year that I thought worthy of
investment from 1996 ‘Tanks’ prints up to the present. I have not sold any , and plan on leaving them to my kids
I would not say that this is the "start" to his mature work, but it might very well be the start of a new golden age for him. His work has always been evolving. I will say that this series is stronger than most of his works from the last few years, though (but that is not saying much).

Also, he has been enjoying renewed interest/scrutiny from a wider audience, on the heels of the We the People campaign (the last major "bump" was Hope). He's always had a strong following from his fan/collector base, but it has definitely widened over the past year or so.

Fairey can be very hit or miss for me (especially his works over the past 10 years). I tend to gravitate towards his early Russian and Chinese propaganda inspired works, as well as select pieces that "rise above" (no pun intended) the fold in terms of imagery, like Muslim Woman, Marilyn Warhol, Monkey Pod, Rise Above Rebel, Imperial Glory, etc. Most of the images that get the mural treatment tend to be great ones.

If you are only going off of his prints, though, you are missing out. When you get a chance, try to check out his fine art in person. The layering, depth and richness that he achieves with some of these pieces can only be appreciated in the flesh.
shoeless
Art Expert

Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:12 pm

bulkhead72 wrote:as well as select pieces that "rise above" (no pun intended) the fold in terms of imagery, like Muslim Woman, Marilyn Warhol, Monkey Pod, Rise Above Rebel, Imperial Glory, etc.
That pun was absolutely intended. Don't lie.
applehead
Art Expert

Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:51 pm

Codeblue wrote:Target Exceptions is the prettiest but not the best.
So which is the best?
bsharp
Art Expert

Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:03 pm

Codeblue wrote:Welcome Visitor is the best of the series.
bulkhead72
Art Expert

Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:05 pm

shoeless wrote:
bulkhead72 wrote:as well as select pieces that "rise above" (no pun intended) the fold in terms of imagery, like Muslim Woman, Marilyn Warhol, Monkey Pod, Rise Above Rebel, Imperial Glory, etc.
That pun was absolutely intended. Don't lie.
:oops:
Arterre
Art Connoisseur

Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:56 pm

bulkhead72 wrote:
Arterre wrote:New Golden age of Shepard Fairey

I believe this body of 9 prints represents the now advanced state of Shepard’s work
in realizing compelling figurative imagery, utilizing attractive colors, sharp design compositions ,
while addressing important topics of our day. With his street roots on walls with torn paper
where the images compete against noise, but the verbal message still powerfullu communicates .
I think history will see this as a start in his mature work . I invite everyone’s constructive comments
and would love to hear others opinions

1.Drink Crude oil 2/17
2.ideal Power 5/17
3. Welcome Visitors. 5/17
4. Target Exceptions. 6/17
5 Bias by Numbers. 7/17
6. Golden Future. 10/17
7. Wrong Path. 11/17
8 Oil Lotus Woman. 1/18
9. Embrace Justice. 1/18

About me... I’m a painter, art collector and art history buff. I never gave Fairey’s work much thought
as it seemed more like poster/ rock art than serious fine art . When I first saw and bought “Drink Crude Oil,
my opinion changed, deeply studied his catalog and bought 60 prints in the last year that I thought worthy of
investment from 1996 ‘Tanks’ prints up to the present. I have not sold any , and plan on leaving them to my kids
I would not say that this is the "start" to his mature work, but it might very well be the start of a new golden age for him. His work has always been evolving. I will say that this series is stronger than most of his works from the last few years, though (but that is not saying much).

Also, he has been enjoying renewed interest/scrutiny from a wider audience, on the heels of the We the People campaign (the last major "bump" was Hope). He's always had a strong following from his fan/collector base, but it has definitely widened over the past year or so.

Fairey can be very hit or miss for me (especially his works over the past 10 years). I tend to gravitate towards his early Russian and Chinese propaganda inspired works, as well as select pieces that "rise above" (no pun intended) the fold in terms of imagery, like Muslim Woman, Marilyn Warhol, Monkey Pod, Rise Above Rebel, Imperial Glory, etc. Most of the images that get the mural treatment tend to be great ones.

If you are only going off of his prints, though, you are missing out. When you get a chance, try to check out his fine art in person. The layering, depth and richness that he achieves with some of these pieces can only be appreciated in the flesh.
Thanks for your comment!' I agree with you, His early work had the extreme power to shock and alarm the viewer ,
Whoa, what is this ! Soviet propaganda, and Obey ! So wild, Genius really, and widely appreciated by all that take the
time to discover his story. Some of these early pieces are my favorites too, so powerful and devilishy amusing.
"Rise above" as a style describes a vast amount of pieces, both in actual title, but In their uplifting , empowering
social message. I expect Shep to continue working in various styles, and that's good
My article was to promote comments about these current works, and the striking direction that these 9 pieces
Stylistically represent to me. As a whole they are concise and evocative, I was moved seeing the texture and richness of works in the LA Damaged show , all the HPMs I was interested in were already sold
GoBluePanic
Art Expert

Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:10 pm

bulkhead72 wrote:Target Exceptions is my favorite from that series, too. While we're on the topic, here are some photos of the canvas that I took at Damaged:

Damn, that sure is :drool: :drool: :drool:
I'm not someone else.
omyweenis
Art Expert

Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:23 pm

No Late Hour Riot on list ? :oops: It’s missing a color. I think money might been saved that way. I dig it anyway. Only complaint is shading on face looks like facial hair. Damaged Times version on newspaper doesn’t have the shading. I can live with it though.
RiverRat
Art Enthusiast

Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:08 pm

bulkhead72 wrote:
jjttdw wrote:
Target just reminds me of a campy show from the 70s.

Anyone remember it??
No idea where that's from, but I love the image even more now. :lol:

This is from the Isis TV series from the mid-seventies.
bsharp
Art Expert

Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:11 pm

RiverRat wrote:Isis

The plot thickens
gorkie
Art Freak

Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:22 pm

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see. - Thoreau
@gorkieartdogma on Instagram
jjttdw
Art Expert

Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:25 am

Gorkie that trailer made me laugh out loud.

bsharp wrote:
RiverRat wrote:Isis

The plot thickens

Part of me wondered when I was searching for an image if I was pinging the NSA servers.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
applehead
Art Expert

Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:06 pm

bsharp wrote:
Codeblue wrote:Welcome Visitor is the best of the series.
Agreed
Jasper73
Art Expert

Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:17 pm

gorkie wrote:
The internets great, picture clipped
image.jpeg
ImageT.K.C.