Anything OBEY related

General art-related discussion.
JoeViturbo
Art Enthusiast
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:19 pm

Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:47 pm

GoBluePanic wrote:
JoeViturbo wrote:Here's another article on the vandalism issue out of Detroit from ArtNet. Looks like they're just quoting the Freep though
https://news.artnet.com/art-world/shepa ... ant-311387
Yeah, 9k damage to dilapidated, decaying buildings, in a dilapidated, decaying city. This is just a small snippet of why Detroit is where it is, the stupidity in that city is second to none.
I have a cousin who is an artist (photography) in Detroit and while I've been exiled to Texas, I'm originally from the Great Lakes region. I took a weekend trip home and managed to spare some time for the mural and LSC although I didn't buy anything. My cousin was not happy with Fairey's visit because, in her opinion, Detroit should be spending money on Detroit artists. I disagree because I feel that anything that draws attention, and activity to downtown from people who otherwise would not be going there has got to be a good thing that will spread to other residents, businesses, and yes, even local artists. Fairey's visit and "graffiti" added value and attraction to the city which is an aspect of his work that the police have chosen to ignore, or stubbornly misinterpret.

Detroit's got problems, man.
spagucci1
Art Expert
Posts: 2481
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:53 pm

Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:56 pm

JoeViturbo wrote:
GoBluePanic wrote:
JoeViturbo wrote:Here's another article on the vandalism issue out of Detroit from ArtNet. Looks like they're just quoting the Freep though
https://news.artnet.com/art-world/shepa ... ant-311387
Yeah, 9k damage to dilapidated, decaying buildings, in a dilapidated, decaying city. This is just a small snippet of why Detroit is where it is, the stupidity in that city is second to none.
I have a cousin who is an artist (photography) in Detroit and while I've been exiled to Texas, I'm originally from the Great Lakes region. I took a weekend trip home and managed to spare some time for the mural and LSC although I didn't buy anything. My cousin was not happy with Fairey's visit because, in her opinion, Detroit should be spending money on Detroit artists. I disagree because I feel that anything that draws attention, and activity to downtown from people who otherwise would not be going there has got to be a good thing that will spread to other residents, businesses, and yes, even local artists. Fairey's visit and "graffiti" added value and attraction to the city which is an aspect of his work that the police have chosen to ignore, or stubbornly misinterpret.

Detroit's got problems, man.
Does your cousin know it was Dan Gilbert who commisioned Fairey and not the City of Detroit?
JoeViturbo
Art Enthusiast
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:19 pm

Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:44 pm

spagucci1 wrote:
JoeViturbo wrote:
GoBluePanic wrote:
JoeViturbo wrote:Here's another article on the vandalism issue out of Detroit from ArtNet. Looks like they're just quoting the Freep though
https://news.artnet.com/art-world/shepa ... ant-311387
Yeah, 9k damage to dilapidated, decaying buildings, in a dilapidated, decaying city. This is just a small snippet of why Detroit is where it is, the stupidity in that city is second to none.
I have a cousin who is an artist (photography) in Detroit and while I've been exiled to Texas, I'm originally from the Great Lakes region. I took a weekend trip home and managed to spare some time for the mural and LSC although I didn't buy anything. My cousin was not happy with Fairey's visit because, in her opinion, Detroit should be spending money on Detroit artists. I disagree because I feel that anything that draws attention, and activity to downtown from people who otherwise would not be going there has got to be a good thing that will spread to other residents, businesses, and yes, even local artists. Fairey's visit and "graffiti" added value and attraction to the city which is an aspect of his work that the police have chosen to ignore, or stubbornly misinterpret.

Detroit's got problems, man.
Does your cousin know it was Dan Gilbert who commisioned Fairey and not the City of Detroit?
You know, I mentioned that to her. I'm not sure she cared.

It's okay though because I'm not much of a fan of her work.

She does run a blog about Detroit but from what I can tell, most of the artists don't have online stores so unless you're in Detroit at a show you'll never be able to support their art. It is arsoncapital.com
User avatar
gonzo303
Art Freak
Posts: 18432
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:49 pm

Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:52 pm

DAMN. Simple and I LOVE IT!
Same fudge, different drop.
User avatar
bulkhead72
Art Expert
Posts: 9504
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:50 am
Location: Los Angeles

Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:40 pm

:drool:
User avatar
sidewaysscott
Art God
Posts: 22102
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 11:22 am
Location: denver

Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:20 pm

Honest question, does the platinum club truly exist?
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
User avatar
ipath2003
Art Expert
Posts: 2538
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 12:00 am

Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:33 pm

sidewaysscott wrote:Honest question, does the platinum club truly exist?

Most certainly does
User avatar
bulkhead72
Art Expert
Posts: 9504
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:50 am
Location: Los Angeles

Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:36 pm

Juxtapoz interview about Shep's show in Malaga tomorrow.
User avatar
gonzo303
Art Freak
Posts: 18432
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:49 pm

Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:36 pm

stuckeyc wrote:bad pic, but my buddy got one of these large foil icon stickers today. Never seen one before and I want one
This is what I got with my Platinum Club package this week.....I was hoping for the Green Sparkle..
Same fudge, different drop.
User avatar
Grtdane06
Art Expert
Posts: 1979
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:04 pm
Location: I come from the land of ice and snow

Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:37 pm

I am sure no one will answer my question but I will ask anyways - how do you become a person within said club

Is it based on purchases or something else

Just curious
Replete wrote:Thanks GD and fittingly that was your 666th post :evil:
User avatar
maden
Art Expert
Posts: 8257
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:52 pm
Location: Del Boca Vista

Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:38 pm

Platinum Club is the only gag funnier than the Celsius is a woman gag. HIGH COMEDY
We'll kill the fatted calf tonight, so stick around

Image
spagucci1
Art Expert
Posts: 2481
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:53 pm

Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:06 pm

maden wrote:Platinum Club is the only gag funnier than the Celsius is a woman gag. HIGH COMEDY
Old Platinum Club link. Cant pass along the new one.

www.obeygiant.com/platinumclub
User avatar
maden
Art Expert
Posts: 8257
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:52 pm
Location: Del Boca Vista

Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:07 pm

The joke continues! ROFL!
We'll kill the fatted calf tonight, so stick around

Image
User avatar
maden
Art Expert
Posts: 8257
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:52 pm
Location: Del Boca Vista

Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:13 pm

Also, I much prefer the Obey Nasty Butt Stuff Fetish Club. Alas, its error link is also closed. The new one is NSFW. PM me for it!

http://www.obeygiant.com/nastybuttstufffetishclub
We'll kill the fatted calf tonight, so stick around

Image
Post Reply